Elite Dangerous: Horizons Hotfix | 11.01.2022 | For PC & Console Notes

Name a game that updates without adding bugs.
well, this is a little to easy. the frontier behaviour of introducing new bugs on longtime established funtionality is somewhat difficult to understand and definately not industry standard. its hard to imagine whats going wrong inside frontier, unfortunately there is no official explanation from frontier whats going wrong. i think this is work of a good community managment, but there is total silence. root causes i can think of are,

• lost of experienced core personal ?
  • difficulty with the collaboration work due to homeoffice ?
  • no guidance or interest in the product development anymore ?

well, this is a little to easy. the frontier behaviour of introducing new bugs on longtime established funtionality is somewhat difficult to understand and definately not industry standard. its hard to imagine whats going wrong inside frontier, unfortunately there is no official explanation from frontier whats going wrong. i think this is work of a good community managment, but there is total silence. root causes i can think of are,

• lost of experienced core personal ?
  • difficulty with the collaboration work due to homeoffice ?
  • no guidance or interest in the product development anymore ?

That isn't a list.

Playing on PC with ED Horizons. After the update i got this new behaviour:

1. My message box now gets spammed constantly with request for all manner of missions (it did not do this before). So is this a bug or just a setting change perhaps?
2. Serious lag in the asteroid fields around Saturn, you could shift the view around and find a smooth spot but it could them suddenly crawl to a few fps (normally and previously i ran with about 30-60fps here). Did the update increase graphic settings also perhaps (the original game defaults (before this update) were lower than my card could handle so i increased the quality a bit, but changed nothing after the update)?

just a fyi kind of thing. If i can't work something out on my end i'll make an official bug report later.

Last edited:
sorry, as beeing non english native i don´t get what you trying to say ?, i try not to be negative, but i have worked long time in project managment and development of complexer electronic control units including the software running on it. and i know teams of around 100 engineers needs some rules and guidance to avoid the things we currently see with the frontier releases.

Never, that's the nature of software development. Better to accept it. 👌
May be true today, but it wasn't always the case. I've designed/worked on embedded software that we locked the main code because there were no more bugs to find. But that was back in the stone age when we actually knew what the code was doing at any given moment, and deterministic. Today's bloatware? Not so much. Such is progress.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Sally, thank you so much for spending your time on this! I had no idea that issue tracker is separate from CS, sorry if that muddied the water😅
We'll try the CS route now, fingers crossed this will work.
o7 and thank you again

My absolute pleasure!! Please let me know if you're waiting for longer than a week and I'll help track down any progress.
No problem at all! Please no worries o7

• Clearer indication via UI when reward modules will/will not allow experimental effects.
    • It will now be clearer for Commanders to identify whether their newly acquired CG Reward Modules can be further modified, via the modifications UI panel.

This is very welcome @sallymorganmoore !

But...

I thought we could apply experimental effects to the double-engineered FSDs rewarded from the Colonia phases? There was a...thing...complaints, etc.

I've checked just now, and the 6A FSD is marked as pre-engineered and cannot be modified:

1642014924518.png

But I also cannot apply an experimental effect. With the current CG giving a lot more of these out it could be a whole new....thing.

sallymorganmoore

Senior Community Manager : Elite Dangerous
Happy new year sally 😊
Are you now the HRZN/console chief ? 😅

naw was joking, have a nice evening 👍
o7

Haha, a happy new year to you too Sasa! Thank you!

Oh my gosh it's actually really nice to have a Horizons standalone update so there's not as much "straddle" going out at once on Forum side.
Obviously haven't forgotten Odyssey this week AT all (there's definitely crossover and dedication continuing "backstage", as per the mixed known issues) , but yes! Trying to flex better Horizons muscle too!

Been a good week so far!

Everyone's been super o7

This is very welcome @sallymorganmoore !

But...

I thought we could apply experimental effects to the double-engineered FSDs rewarded from the Colonia phases? There was a...thing...complaints, etc.

I've checked just now, and the 6A FSD is marked as pre-engineered and cannot be modified:

View attachment 285807

But I also cannot apply an experimental effect. With the current CG giving a lot more of these out it could be a whole new....thing.

It's normal to appear as pre-engineered and cant modify

There is a bug involving applying experimentals.
IF you go to an engineer and have it on your ship already,, you might need to store it (you will get a normal 6E as replacement), relog, then re-equip and apply experimental

I usually go to an engineer flying a Conda, transfer all from storage (3A, 4A, 6A pre-engineered), then swap each of them and apply experimentals. No issues with my way.

It's normal to appear as pre-engineered and cant modify

There is a bug involving applying experimentals.
IF you go to an engineer and have it on your ship already,, you might need to store it (you will get a normal 6E as replacement), relog, then re-equip and apply experimental

I usually go to an engineer flying a Conda, transfer all from storage (3A, 4A, 6A pre-engineered), then swap each of them and apply experimentals. No issues with my way.

Well, that's not ideal. But it worked, so thank you very much! :)

Fix to add materials into rocks in mining in hotspots when using conventional mining lasers. Its been like this since you brought out deep core with no fix, since early patches of horizons.

Panther Clipper?

They'd struggle to justify making a ship "Odyssey only" and yet I am of the opinion that any significant new content needs to drive sales of Odyssey.

They were just about able to get away with making the Scorpion locked behind a DLC... but when that DLC is not available to a large section of your playerbase, it'd be a brave call to release a long awaited ship, locked to said DLC, while the console situation is ongoing.

They'd struggle to justify making a ship "Odyssey only" and yet I am of the opinion that any significant new content needs to drive sales of Odyssey.

They were just about able to get away with making the Scorpion locked behind a DLC... but when that DLC is not available to a large section of your playerbase, it'd be a brave call to release a long awaited ship, locked to said DLC, while the console situation is ongoing.
Not a big thing is it to bring out a ship, based on how much they bring out or tweek. Modeling wasn done back in News Letter #08 and #13. Guess its not a combat ship eh! so its not important. However the Challenger series, T10, mamba, custom fighters, carriers, space legs etc, thats OK cos thats for combat use. When it comes to Cargo and Mining ships etc, computer says no.

Last edited:
Top Bottom