elite dangerous is a true success

[...] but I'm not convinced they're fundamentally more intelligent at being a competent and viable species or as more independant individuals.
What is a 'viable species' if not one that has dramatically grown in population, has no real predators, has managed to live and establish itself in virtually all land ecosystems and that has shaped the world as it sees fit?
The video I referenced shows the dramatic decrees in average brain size over the past three thousand years, definetly modern in human evolution standards, but comparing IQ test results over the past 100 years is much more narrowly focused.
Brain size != Intelligence.
If we're on average smarter than 100 years ago, it likely isn't due to our fundamental, innate aptitudes, but environmental changes.
Such environmental changes were our own doing, so we've literally have made ourselves smarter if indeed the environment was the cause.

What is a 'viable species' if not one that has dramatically grown in population, has no real predators, has managed to live and establish itself in virtually all land ecosystems and that has shaped the world as it sees fit?

Brain size != Intelligence.

Such environmental changes were our own doing, so we've literally have made ourselves smarter if indeed the environment was the cause.
Thanks for your thoughts and the reply. I'd enjoy going into more depth on this and explaining my reasoning, but we're probably getting too far off topic for the thread. :)
And while I think there is merit to this discussion in general, my reply linking the video was a bit more tongue-in-cheek.
o7

Last edited:
ED yes, it has successfully helped fund the birth of a new Dev/publishing building which has, in turn, spawned several other games, Meanwhile EDO, has removed console support and divided the Forums more than ever, but it still requires a lot of work, it has no on foot VR support it also played a part in halving the company's value so in short ED:Yes EDO:No at least from where I see it as a LEPper..

SharepriceFD.PNG

Last edited:
I really like Elite Dangerous though I still miss a few 'features' from Frontier: Elite 2 and Frontier: First Encounters

#1 being the relativistic travel; which of course doesn't make sense in a Multiplayer game.

#2 being the 'take off and land on any planet' (or at least I remember it that way). Even with the limited graphics of the Atari ST or Amiga, and then later PC (F:FE) it was cool seeing the various atmosphere colors as you came and left planets and so-on.

#3 Earning ships for missions, rather than just buying them outright. (I think Elite Dangerous just requires ranks or credits..)

For me - the X-Series sort of took the mantle of Elite starting with X-Beyond The Frontier in 1999, though that game sadly also never went to planets..

Anyway while I'm very positive on Elite Dangerous (though it's been too many years since I last played.. about ready to get back in) - I just wanted to point out the old games have a few 'features' that make them just that much more special..
#4 Slingshot around a planet

ED yes, it has successfully helped fund the birth of a new Dev/publishing building which has, in turn, spawned several other games, Meanwhile EDO, has removed console support and divided the Forums more than ever, but it still requires a lot of work, it has no on foot VR support it also played a part in halving the company's value so in short ED:Yes EDO:No at least from where I see it as a LEPper..

View attachment 306871
Though a one-year snapshot is interesting, it doesn’t necessarily have anything to do with EDO, or it may have only partial correlation.

You’ll need to take a look at a much longer timeframe (a 5-year look puts FD up over 300%), and then look at broad trends in the sector to draw any conclusions.

Even then, stock price just has to do with assumptions of future profitability shaped by past data. It’s similar to placing sports bets with the odds.

I like how so many people moan about a "FPS shooter" not belonging in their space game, then lots of people complain about the foot/ground stuff being separate from the space-trader/combat stuff. Seems that if they're truly separate then the first group have nothing to complain about, they can ignore the space legs as it doesn't actually impinge on how they play the game.
fair enough but 1) we are not all the same people and 2) I think you are not understanding the complaints many have with the FPS part of the game.

personally I welcome boots on the ground in elite. it just isn't implemented well or in a way which fits with the game imo (generic pew pew shooter where death is meaningless and you have instant respawns on death)

and yes I can (and do for the most part) ignore it however this is a huge section of an expansion I waited years for. expressing dissapointment for an expansion which demands a premium price is also acceptable imo the core game is still enjoyable (or is for me) hence I still sometimes play

Last edited:
Even then, stock price just has to do with assumptions of future profitability shaped by past data.
For me is so obvious, that the last year FD releases, EDO and JWE2, were badly perceived by shareholders both for the bad clients reception AND that they show the technical critical limitations of the Cobra engine, viewing all the year procedure as a critical failure, that the lack of confidence in the future was fulfilled.

In my opinion, FD needs desesperately an economical success this year, all other projects that are not so profitable, are going to be cast aside in low running. So we have that new roadmap for ED, this year.

View attachment 306871
I have my issues with ED:O but that share price looks no worse than loads of other things, and significantly better than some of the stuff i have money in (I had money in Luna....... £280 down to 5p in 24 hrs).. The economy at the moment in general is in the toilet and i imagine companies assosciated with just entertainment are likley to feel it harder than companies who produce something of important utility.

coming out of lockdown as well mean that people are less likely forced to sit at home gaming or watching netflix and so that may also have an effect.**

**I wish i had been able to do that in lockdown!

This was a triumph
I'm making a note here; "Huge success"
Seeing as you brought it up, for the Eric Schwartz & Amiga fans.. funny thing is that I saw this before I was familiar with Portal. Played through both since though, great games!

The economy at the moment in general is in the toilet and i imagine companies assosciated with just entertainment are likley to feel it harder than companies who produce something of important utility.
And that's why you shouldn't invest in those volatile funds, during the lockdown, and still untill today, I've invested in other funds then entertainment, withdrew all my Frontier shares, and had some of the best years.
Economy in the Netherlands is still booming and there's some good profit in it when you buy wisely.

Back on topic.
ED has been a succes to me indeed, 4000+ hours in it, so yeah.
It's just a huge bummer that I can't enjoy any new additions without having to buy a whole new pc setup, which I'm not going to do, not for a single game.
I started playing on consoles just to get away from the pc hassle having to upgrade every other year etc.
I've made sure I always got the latest console and own a Xbox Series X now which is a nice machine.
To bad Frontier isn't capable to have their game running on multiple platforms any longer, you know like other devs do.

View attachment 306871
HOW DARE YOU, RUIN THE OP'S talking point with FACTS!!

And that's why you shouldn't invest in those volatile funds, during the lockdown, and still untill today, I've invested in other funds then entertainment, withdrew all my Frontier shares, and had some of the best years.
Economy in the Netherlands is still booming and there's some good profit in it when you buy wisely.

Back on topic.
ED has been a succes to me indeed, 4000+ hours in it, so yeah.
It's just a huge bummer that I can't enjoy any new additions without having to buy a whole new pc setup, which I'm not going to do, not for a single game.
I started playing on consoles just to get away from the pc hassle having to upgrade every other year etc.
I've made sure I always got the latest console and own a Xbox Series X now which is a nice machine.
To bad Frontier isn't capable to have their game running on multiple platforms any longer, you know like other devs do.
if you like a game that much, and have over 4k hours in it...and cant justify a gaming PC to play it, which you can easily get a pre-built for about $900 to run it just fine, then you are just cheating yourself of some well deserved fun.

actually i would say the people who post on forums about a game are in the minority regardless of whether positive or negative. esp a niche game like Elite which tends to have an older demographic of players (age dempgraphic may not be true with ED:O but was the case with the vanilla game and those who supported it early doors - I actually suspect that ED:O with its ground combat was made precisely to aim at a younger audience and to nab some of that arena shooter market - just my 2p of course but I believe The problem is the arena shooter bar is really high with a lot of fantastic games to compete with, and personally i do not think ED compares well at all on that section of the game.)

The ground combat part of Elite feels much more like CQC to me than elite.... and (whilst i like CQC personally because it is separate to the main game) bringing a CQC like attitude of meaningless death and quick respawns into the game is a shockingly bad fit imo.

either way my point is Most players if they like it will just play it, or if they dont like it just add it to their pile of shame never to play again (or refund if they can), we wont hear from them either way, only sales and the how much the player numbers on steam or other platforms boosted after ED:O launched really give an idea how well it is doing,
It was a more of quip than a blogpost prompt, but sure. At least it's out and can be improved.

I don't agree with the arena shooter comparison though, if they were going for that, then they would have actually made an arena shooter, maybe looking at it that way skews the view on where Frontier were going with the onfoot gameplay? To me, it fits in the world of Elite, like I said, it's not perfect and hopefully there will be balance and other improvements over time but IMO it works well in the grander scheme of the game, and I look forward to what's coming ahead.

if you like a game that much, and have over 4k hours in it...and cant justify a gaming PC to play it, which you can easily get a pre-built for about $900 to run it just fine, then you are just cheating yourself of some well deserved fun.
It's not just the pc itself and I don't realy care about the costs, I'll have to make room for it too, my Xbox is in the living room hooked up on a big tv and a dolby atmos system, I play from my comfy recliner, my wife definitely wouldn't want a pc in the living room so there's that.
Besides that, I've found plenty of other games that provide fun, and there are a lot of other fun activities besides gaming too.
So no, buying a pc just for ED isn't an option for me.

View attachment 306871
The first thing that I always check when assessing whether I will like a game or not is the publishing company's stock performance chart.

Top Bottom