4.0 | Now Live

Hello,

Yesterday I discovered an interesting thing in horizons 4.0:
I was on planetary mission. I was fined. Okay. As usually - found Interstellar faction and... there is nothing. The screen says I don't have to pay anything, there's no reward on me (but left control panel still said, there is bounty 500 to me). So, i have to exit game, start as horizons 3.8, load game and paid my fine (the same station, the same interstellar faction, my ship has not moved at all), exit game, start as horizons 4.0 and can continue...
It is a bug, or new feature? Anyway I'm not happy from this.
Yeah, this is known to some of us who've been playing EDO for a while. C&P 4.0 means you cannot clear a bounty in an IF if the issuing faction is also in the same system. You have to go further or load EDH 3.8

Hello,

I was on planetary mission. I was fined. Okay. As usually - found Interstellar faction and... there is nothing. The screen says I don't have to pay anything, there's no reward on me (but left control panel still said, there is bounty 500 to me). So, i have to exit game, start as horizons 3.8, load game and paid my fine (the same station, the same interstellar faction, my ship has not moved at all), exit game, start as horizons 4.0 and can continue...
Maybe the same I stumbled over - read the message again: you probably do not need IF to pay that, just go to administration.

Hello,

Maybe the same I stumbled over - read the message again: you probably do not need IF to pay that, just go to administration.

Fines can be payed like that, bounties not.
Even tho @Pepul mentions both fine and bounty for the same event, it seems to be a bounty

Yeah, this is known to some of us who've been playing EDO for a while. C&P 4.0 means you cannot clear a bounty in an IF if the issuing faction is also in the same system. You have to go further or load EDH 3.8

Yea, i always preferred to fly further
I dont remember having to relog in 3.8 to pay a bounty, but i usually dont get too many bounties so i'm not saying it may not be needed in certain cases.

I'm not even sure it's an Odyssey bug or a new feature or change regarding C&P in Odyssey.
Guess we will find it eventually if those issue tracker reports get fixed or receive a working as intended mark

Hello,

Firstly, is it a fine or a bounty? You describe it as both but they each have their own separate UI locations.
Secondly in 4.0 you can only clear fines/bounties at an interstellar factor if the faction that issued it is not present in the current system. Otherwise you will have to go to an interstellar factor somewhere else. This is apparently by design.

Fdev changed a lot of things in the crime mechanism when Odyssey launched and they released a statement about this.
Although every change they have stated in that statement are true, there are a lots and lots of changes they didn't state in that document and we had to find out for our selves and Interstellar Factor was one of them.

I'm still wondering how we "sell different data bartenders". Are they a type of slave?

(But seriously: selling data/goods to bartenders seems to have exactly zero effect on BGS. I've tested it numerous times in systems with zero traffic and there is no influence change.)

I'm still wondering how we "sell different data bartenders". Are they a type of slave?

(But seriously: selling data/goods to bartenders seems to have exactly zero effect on BGS. I've tested it numerous times in systems with zero traffic and there is no influence change.)
Maybe because they aren't "absorbed" by the system, or the owning faction, but remain as stock in the Carrier.

Asinine?! I even gave Odyssey the Lambo, that's it...downgrading Ody to the Corrolla and upgrading 3.8 to the Lambo.
lol. It could have been Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but the analogy still wouldn't work. However, I'm sorry if the word asinine was too strong.

To use your non-asinine comparison...what you're telling folks is that if you want to game with your friends you've got to suck it up and pay the tab.
I mean, we all had to pay for Elite to play in the first place, it's an expansion and, due to the nature of the features of it, there's no path to make instancing work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly enthralled by it, but asking folks to upgrade to the latest expansion to play together isn't really unreasonable IMO either.

Those who saw Empire Strikes Back together still have to each buy a ticket to see Return of the Jedi together.. maybe that's an analogy that is appropriate? I don't know, the point isn't so much as to go on a quest to find an analogy that paints the situation in its most dire light, more to just come to terms with the fact that if everyone wants to play together, as they say they do, then the only path to do that is via Odyssey.

What I am aware of is irrelevant (you'll note in my post that I said this doesn't bother me, because I already own Horizons). It's what new players think, again, as I clearly stated in my post. I continue below:
We can choose to call them DLC, but they are not side maps or bonus levels, or what people 'usually' associate DLCs to be. I believe you are aware of this which makes your choice to frame it thusly a deliberate attempt to mischaracterize what these expansions to Elite actually are.

I don't know why you posted that image.. read what I wrote above. My point was that your argument is being hinged on a narrow interpretation of the term DLC and my point is that the term is more broad than you are making it out to be, hence me saying:

don't try to twist Frontier's use of expansions into a semantical argument to hinge your grievance against Frontier

You do love your conspiracy theories, don't you?

I don't love conspiracy theories, though I'm willing to observe things from a less convenient viewpoint that some would like. What conspiracy theory did I propose in my response to you?

The irony is that the "scam" (which semantically is probably the wrong word based on your very emotional reaction)

I wouldn't characterize it as a very emotional response. You chose to use the word scam, which has a particular meaning and is a strong accusation to make against anyone, especially falsely.

new players have to buy Horizons 3.8, which you seem to now hate, in order to play Odyssey.

I don't hate 3.8 - why would you honestly or sincerely ask or suggest that? I have just moved onto Odyssey, which I think is much better, just as I moved onto Horizons when that was released, for the same reasons.

As to your reiteration of what I already understood, I will reiterate that before Odyssey, new players had to buy the base game to get Horizons. No-one seemed to mind then, and I would include you in that as I assume you first bought the base game and then Horizons, no?

I'm suggesting that Odyssey should be sold as a stand-alone game without the requirement to first buy Horizons. Heck, I'm trying to spare new players from the evil that is the 3.8 code that you so loath (if they want to play Odyssey, that is). You should be thanking me!

Or, how about just keeping it as it is? It worked for Horizons. Though maybe Frontier should offer the Odyssey all in one package with Odyssey + Base game for a small discount?? Oh wait, they do! It's called the Elite Dangerous: Commander Premium Edition, currently on sale for $35.74.

Yes yes, okay, I'll tap the mat on this one. I reread my post and my wording is poor. I feel like I meant to say that "It kinda feels like a scam" or something to that effect. Not that you'll be any more okay with this wording, either, so I'll recant my use of the word "scam".
Acceptable.

I do stick behind the premise that Frontier is forcing new players to buy an old game (Horizons 3.8) in order to play a new game (Odyssey), these quite literally being two separate games on the hard drive. As I said, it's like Egosoft forcing people to buy X3 in order to play X4. Why not just sell Odyssey as a stand-alone product? It would have avoided a lot of the confusion that is the essence of this thread. Odyssey technically does not require the base game to play, despite the "less than 100% honest" claim on Steam. It may require the base game to purchase, but not play. This means Odyssey is not truly DLC, despite calling itself that on Steam, and your expansion argument is irrelevant to the average new player looking to buy and play Odyssey.
X3 vs X4 is really not a valid comparison. If I'm not mistaken, they really are two separate games. A better comparison is the traditional upgrade path for productivity software, and here is maybe where you and I could reach something resembling a consensus.

Traditionally, before Adobe moved to subscription based services, and I'm explaining this as a general matter, you bought Creative Suite 3 and when Creative Suite 4 came out, prior owners would get an upgrade discount but new purchasers would get CS4 for the new price that CS3 was offered at, and CS3 was discontinued as a product. So it's not like new CS4 owners got to have CS3 as well as CS4, or had to buy CS1-3 first. Maybe that's where you are going with this?

If so, I would see some sense in that, though I'm not sure if Steam is set up to be able to offer Elite in the same manner? However, looking at it on the surface, I think it could be a path that may be worth considering further. Though, I wouldn't say it's all roses either, again, it's not like Frontier's original method didn't work for Horizons, and I consider a large part of this discussion still really to be under the umbrella of the Odyssey launch fall out.

lol. It could have been Chitty Chitty Bang Bang but the analogy still wouldn't work. However, I'm sorry if the word asinine was too strong.

I mean, we all had to pay for Elite to play in the first place, it's an expansion and, due to the nature of the features of it, there's no path to make instancing work. Don't get me wrong, I'm not exactly enthralled by it, but asking folks to upgrade to the latest expansion to play together isn't really unreasonable IMO either.

Those who saw Empire Strikes Back together still have to each buy a ticket to see Return of the Jedi together.. maybe that's an analogy that is appropriate? I don't know, the point isn't so much as to go on a quest to find an analogy that paints the situation in its most dire light, more to just come to terms with the fact that if everyone wants to play together, as they say they do, then the only path to do that is via Odyssey.
It's also not really in FDs best interest to have 4.0 EDH and 4.0 EDO instance together, the goal is to sell more upgrades and you can see they're trying that with the sale. Although the sale isn't on Xbox, I'm a bit miffed by that, and they expect (assume?) that anyone is going to pay full price for EDH 3.8? If so they're out of their freaking minds! So really, instancing doesn't affect me in the least. For one, I don't have a PC and can't play 4.0 in any mode, and second I quit playing in open after getting rammed at Jameson memorial when I first started playing.

As to your reiteration of what I already understood, I will reiterate that before Odyssey, new players had to buy the base game to get Horizons. No-one seemed to mind then, and I would include you in that as I assume you first bought the base game and then Horizons, no?
When I bought Horizons on PS4, it was all one bundled package that included the base game. This was before the two were merged, but there was a deal where buying them together along with a couple of paints was cheaper than buying them separately, so it was one easy install, taking up one folder, not two.

Oh, and I was able to instance with players who only had the base game, though obviously not down on planets.

[...] just come to terms with the fact that if everyone wants to play together, as they say they do, then the only path to do that is via Odyssey.
If Frontier went back to offering weekly bounty hunting CGs (used to be every hauling CG had an accompanying "protect the traders" CG), and if Horizons 3.8 is truly empty (it wasn't the last BH CG we had earlier this year), and performance in Odyssey matched the performance and stability Horizons 3.8 in VR, then I would likely go ahead and buy Odyssey on sale just to enjoy my favorite Elite game loop - winged combat.

As it is, I've given up on "playing together" in any of these three versions of Elite. My favorite CG type has long been abandoned, and without it, the galaxy is too big and the player base in Open too small to provide anything more than a random passing ship and a quick "O7" every hour or two. So these days I scratch my winged combat itch by occasionally defending installations, which is IMO the best single-player spaceship combat in Elite. This works brilliantly in Horizons 3.8 (except for the drunk Anaconda pilots), so there is really nothing motivating me to upgrade to Odyssey. For me, Horizons 3.8 is the better choice right now. It has nothing to do with dying on a hill, it's just the game I prefer. 🤷‍♂️

Those who saw Empire Strikes Back together still have to each buy a ticket to see Return of the Jedi together.. maybe that's an analogy that is appropriate?
Continuing with these dubious analogies: the current situation is like if there were free SW:RotJ tickets for people who had previously bought tickets for SW:ESB, however those who also had bought SW:ESB merchandise would not be allowed into a showing with people who had not.

Continuing with these dubious analogies: the current situation is like if there were free SW:RotJ tickets for people who had previously bought tickets for SW:ESB, however those who also had bought SW:ESB merchandise would not be allowed into a showing with people who had not.
I see where you are headed with that, and up to a point it's good, however, in my dubious analogy ROTJ = Odyssey, Horizons 4.0 is more like the Star Wars Christmas Special? :D o7

I see where you are headed with that, and up to a point it's good, however, in my dubious analogy ROTJ = Odyssey, Horizons 4.0 is more like the Star Wars Christmas Special? :D o7
40858q.jpeg

Hello FD

Is your Launcher waiting for something?

I have 5 Options in the Launcher:

1. Install Odyssey
2. Play Horizon 3.8
3. ED
4. ED Arena
5 Combat Training.

no 4.0. I want to play Horizon 4.0

I own Odyssey but i de-installed it pretty fast. So your Launcher knows i own Odyssey. Is he waiting for me to install Odyssey again?

p.s. login logout etc. = no change

This release is a courtesy and free upgrade for non-Odyssey owners. They now get to try the 4.0 codebase with all the perks that contains as well as engage with future content and narrative updates at no additional cost where this wasn't possible before. Of course, we still hope they will upgrade to Odyssey for the full experience the game has to offer.
A courtesy. Hm.
So what you're actually saying is, that Elite Horizons is not just the Elite base game, but it's, by default, not automatically assumed to be part of the ongoing events in the galaxy.
Whatever Horizons players get from the story and events, is only by "courtesy".

To be perfectly honest, I don't really object to the stance, because since merging Horizons with the base game, every update of the game since 2015 came for free.
It's, again, about communication.
So far I was under the impression, Horizons naturally gets all the progress on story content that is not ground related and won't miss out in the future. I thought that was a given, but it's a courtesy.

Again, this is not even criticism on the thing itself. I think it's absolutely valid to pay for content and ongoing development at some point.
But please clearly communicate that any future content to Horizons is a bonus, not a given?

A courtesy. Hm.
So what you're actually saying is, that Elite Horizons is not just the Elite base game, but it's, by default, not automatically assumed to be part of the ongoing events in the galaxy.
Whatever Horizons players get from the story and events, is only by "courtesy".

To be perfectly honest, I don't really object to the stance, because since merging Horizons with the base game, every update of the game since 2015 came for free.
It's, again, about communication.
So far I was under the impression, Horizons naturally gets all the progress on story content that is not ground related and won't miss out in the future. I thought that was a given, but it's a courtesy.

Again, this is not even criticism on the thing itself. I think it's absolutely valid to pay for content and ongoing development at some point.
But please clearly communicate that any future content to Horizons is a bonus, not a given?
That would still not be good, especially for those who bought the lifetime expansion pass or the horizons expansion pack.
Revoking access to what people have bought in the past is a big red flag and a very scummy behavior.

As I said before, It would have made much more sense to just use a different name for the 4.0-Horizons package....4.0-OdysseyPreview would have been waaay better and less misleading, really. And people would not be complaining that they lost access to something they bought.

Top Bottom