Patch Notes Update 2.3 Beta 5 Change Log

What's the background to

"Bounty Vouchers and Combat Bonds are now awarded to MultiCrew members based on their combat rank" ?

How is this being split?

I'd be interested in some background to this too.

I assume it is to limit experienced players using Multicrew to rain credits on new players or alt accounts.

Thank you. Really enjoy going into a friends ship and vice versa. Great to have a CMDR flying cover in our fighters. Keep up the great work. :)

59884.png

Last edited:
This version is much more stable. Lighting in starports seems to be better as well.
A lot of effort went into this beta patch.
Although I wish I can choose the ships we can join for multicrew.

Why they turned it off?

It was an great option to see NPC faces in comm panel.

Because they can't provide as ui customization options (for some reason). Seeing same npc face over and over again wasn't good feature and made chat box a lot less usable than in live (messages took so much room that only few messages in box at one which meant having/following discussion between players was pretty much impossible because of npc messages over flooding the chat.) Its better now after npc faces are removed. Tho options would be good as i want also remove player avatars (the images look bad and out of place to me) and they make chat less useful than it was before (same as with npc pictures). It may look nicer with pictures but it work worse as a chat and communication tool than it does in 2.2.03. Doing mass player meet ups in game will be a lot messier because fewer messages can be in chat same time so following discussion will be harder.

I'm sorry to see the faces go. I think a better solution would have been to show NPC faces, not helmets. Maybe the algorithm is too slow to generate them on the fly, but perhaps a low-priority background thread could pre-generate a list of faces when we're at stations, in supercruise, etc. Save them to disk and they'd be ready to roll as needed. Authority ships could always use helmets to save computation time. Or at least show faces for individual mission targets. It helps make combat and other interactions in space feel more personal.

Edit: How about DD/MM for dates?

How about an option to turn them on and off for ourselves? Seems silly to remove it all together.

Some nice graphical and QOL fixes here. Minor things in isolation but in combination they add to the smoothness of play. And I'm glad to see the back of that "no ship names on scan" bug; that one was so game-breaking I'm amazed it made it into any of the earlier builds. ;)

THe point is to make RNG, 'faction' specific, faces. Different to empire/federation, and maybe also characteristic to PP region.
How do You think, we really want to see a clones?

Dude, that isnt the choice they currently have. Its either generic faces or no faces. Yes, ideally every NPC pilot has a unique face, as with the faction NPCs. But that is currently not a reality, so its not a choice.

How about an option to turn them on and off for ourselves? Seems silly to remove it all together.

See this is the dilemma of the comms panel: it's essentially a fully featured instant messaging client within the game. And if you think back to when ICQ, MSN, Yahoo!, Gadu-gadu, QQ, and even stranger beasts ruled the earth, everyone wanted their own display style - big chat heads, small chat heads, icons, background wallpaper, speech bubbles, mergeable consecutive messages by same sender. By adding 'chat heads' to the UI, Frontier have opened that Pandora's box again and are having yet again to build out one part of the game to the same fidelity as standalone apps that are developed by entire companies in the real world.

Having spent years as an IM client developer and implemented themeable contact list and message panes, I was quite glad thankyouverymuch when we only had 7 bit ALL CAPS text messages. Has there been a feature request to support emoji in messages yet? Can we have an XMPP gateway to Galnet Messenger?

Last edited:
What's the background to

"Bounty Vouchers and Combat Bonds are now awarded to MultiCrew members based on their combat rank" ?

How is this being split?

Oooooh, didnt see it. This is gonna be the Big Topic of this patch. Very good, regardless of the details. Lets find out!

Idea was good. It should be tweaked, not removed.
RNG faces + frame text move to right and overall immersion would be better.

I would be more than happy to see an NPC faces when they are communicating to me.
NPC show the same black helmet (no faces), all of them. This was done to distinguish easily NPC from players. I guess a on/off option would have been better, as it was previously discussed. If I have to choose though, I prefer the comms panel as discrete as possible.

See this is the dilemma of the comms panel: it's essentially a fully featured instant messaging client within the game. And if you think back to when ICQ, MSN, Yahoo!, Gadu-gadu, QQ, and even stranger beasts ruled the earth, everyone wanted their own display style - big chat heads, small chat heads, icons, background wallpaper, speech bubbles, mergeable consecutive messages by same sender. By adding 'chat heads' to the UI, Frontier have opened that Pandora's box again and are having yet again to build out one part of the game to the same fidelity as standalone apps that are developed by entire companies in the real world.

Having spent years as an IM client developer and implemented themeable contact list and message panes, I was quite glad thankyouverymuch when we only had 7 bit ALL CAPS text messages. Has there been a feature request to support emoji in messages yet? Can we have an XMPP gateway to Galnet Messenger?

They've already done it.. All we need is a toggle. Surely one of the points of the commanders is that other people can see our avatars via communication...

At times I find some of the choices and ideas re this game very odd indeed.

They've already done it.. All we need is a toggle. Surely one of the points of the commanders is that other people can see our avatars via communication...

At times I find some of the choices and ideas re this game very odd indeed.

Huh? Its just about NPC faces, who currently dont have faces but just the default helmet. PC faces are visible.

POI loot now remembers which commanders have already claimed them

So if I'm reading this correctly, it's put an end to looping the ruins mission for massive, repeated payouts?

Also, Discovery Scanner noise and honk still not working for me. I don't like the changes they appear to have made to the standard scanner sound as well, but that's just me.

Still, a nice bunch of fixes for a whole lotta people in there! :)

Hmmh. Disappointing that NPC faces are gone from comms completely without even an option to enable them.

I think only showing NPC faces with helmets on is a smart way to distinguish them from players. Obviously even NPCs would still have a head, so it was a clever way to preserve immersion whilst simultaneously representing their nature as well as saving on the resources necessary to generate actual faces.

All that what would have been needed, in my opinion, was to give them real backgrounds and to add different poses so that two NPCs would actually have a different portrait, preventing the game from spamming one and the same image over and over again. As icing of the cake, color coding could have been added for major faction allegiance.

Oh well. Still, thanks for the many bugfixes. :)

So... no more options for hairstyles, eyes, beards, mouths, ears, etc...?
Different facial expressions are most likely also out of the question?
Have to say, a dropdown menu in the editor for "personality" that yields different base expressions would be ace!

Last edited:
So if I'm reading this correctly, it's put an end to looping the ruins mission for massive, repeated payouts?

Also, Discovery Scanner noise and honk still not working for me. I don't like the changes they appear to have made to the standard scanner sound as well, but that's just me.

Still, a nice bunch of fixes for a whole lotta people in there! :)

I thought it addressed the persistent POI which contained crashed ships with cargo holds that could be looted repeatedly by mode switching.

Top Bottom