2.3 Beta Release News (27th Feb)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Yeah right.
You'd be the first person complaining about no communication if they did that.
This is a developing process, things change, they get delayed. Understand that before putting your foot in your gob again.
Actually maybe it's you that should be silent on the subject of beta releases. Yeah I think that's probably for the best actually.

Silence isn't something that works too well on a public forum mate. Too bad I'm saying something you and all the other FD stalwarts don't want to hear.

All I hear is a cult that hangs around these forums defending Frontier delay, after delay, after delay since "Fall 2016" for the release of 2.3.

I'm sure places other than the Frontier forums will be far more open to rational discussion.

Game betas are meant for bugtesting on a large scale, to eliminate bugs that slipped past the dev team.

Almost correct.
Some things can only be tested on a clone server that replicates completely the wild "live" server.
Simulations in-house can only go so far.
They need to see the game's behaviour with all the myriad types of computers and the variety of network connections in the wild.

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call Developers Zone.

patience

Bad planning. Announcing dates in advance and they missing them. Very common in the software business. Seems there are not a lot of real good planners in that area...

Communication is the issue. I was wondering about 2.3 and all the upcoming stuff on gamescom - nothing of that was even mentioned. That´s where I really asked myself what happened in the Developement department and what went wrong. But instead of talking to us they did a sneaky change of their website that Season 2 continues into 2017 - no official notice in the forums, nothing - that´s where I went really angry and accused FD of not talking to us and doing a very bad release management. And that´s the only department where FD has to spend some work on. That was really bad and did not help anyone. We should have had some more information regarding the progress of Season 2 back in fall 2016. End of story. Already forgotten.

Now it´s a new situation.

Delays can happen and will happen in software developement, even if the game was running bug-free on the test servers they may have ran into a deployment issue beyond everyones control, or simply made some mistakes during developement. Whatever happened, it will happen again. I don´t care about a delay of the beta, especially when we are talking about a couple of days.

I think this is a little unfair. We post this information with a heavy heart. We are working very hard to get things ready for the beta test period. I understand you may be disappointed... but I'm always going to keep you updated with information when it's available.

You should hire me to post all this stuff about delays and stuff.

My name fits a treat.

I can just post an arrow pointing to my name, job done....

2.3 Beta, coming Soon(TM) :)

Such a shame there a no other games on the market to pass the time whilst FD get this sorted,.......

Oh wait i have 200 games in my collection not even played :D

Sleep well all @ FD it all starts again tomorrow

Last edited:
Bad planning. Announcing dates in advance and then missing them. Very common in the software business. Seems there are not a lot of real good planners in that area...

Hey we are trying to get better but then we shoot ourselves in the foot by evangelizing about Agile development which basically gives us a free pass to be late on things :D

Look, all I'm saying is that if they even had an inkling that they weren't going to be able to make their secondary date, they should have given a date further back. That would have solved us being upset, them missing a date, and would possibly have been a nice surprise for us had they released it early. Everyone would have won.

I've been in that situation as a software developer myself. When you have to cancel an update (or beta), usually, you knew for some time. That means there are some serious issues and these don't pop up at the last minute. But, as a developer, you always think that you're going to fix it, find a workaround, when, deep inside you, you know that it's not going to cut it....

Hi everyone,

Despite our best efforts, unfortunately the 2.3 beta won't be available today. We're working hard to get it ready as soon as possible, and I'll let you know as soon as I have more information.

Sorry for any inconvenience... I'll keep you posted. You'll have new information as soon as we can get it to you (more info likely first thing tomorrow).

Thanks again for your continued patience.

Ed

It's fine. We know you guys do what you can.
Thanks for all the hard work.

Last edited:
Whoa! Just captured a weird rumbling sound up here in the attic of Eafots! Hold on, wait... It's .-- .- .- ...., and it just keeps repeating. Appears to be coming from Sol, and from far in the past. I wonder if it's related to today's news???

Peer to Peer architecture is only as good as the weakest member of the instance.

An ISP's varying lag or level of connection between them and Amazon's AWS access point has a large effect on the QoS.

You say it all nothing to say above that.Using P2P within a fast paced mostly space combat game and see it working as intended, is a early wish to became true in this age of bad overall connectivity health between contents.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom