24 Hours from now, we will witness the future of Exploration

Looking forward to those probes?

Imagine if the new "achievement" would read "First probed by" ;-)))
I also think people will line up there with their fastest SC ships and impatiently wait for the maintenance to end just to get that achievement on Uranus, because reasons. I actually think this will be the first celestial body to be probe... errr.... mapped with the new tools!

It's probably going to be half-done like pretty much everything they do for Elite, I mean...just look at the npc crew feature for example. Permadeath should be removed and npc crew shouldn't eat your money the way they do when they're not even on your ship. A lot more people would play with npcs if those two things were fixed but Frontier is too busy making more half-done stuff and finding ways to make you grind for years so that your mind thinks the game has a lot of content. Do I want this update to be awesome? Yes but based on their track record since I backed the game, I can't say I'm excited for it. Let's wait and see.

Same here. Also I don't think they will reveal more than it was already said. Although they did say (write) that the new scanner is only the tip of the iceberg. We'll see soon enough.

After reading your rants for the last year, i doubt anything is good enough for you.. ;)

He's got a point though. And like Sylveria said, four YEARS was enough "advance notice"... Maybe it required Brookes "what more could you possibly want" to step down to get things going. Anyhow, we will see soon, we waited long enough that additional month will whizz past like it never happened.

I do hope these updates really bring something 'fresh' to the game, because I am kinda thinking that because of the hype surrounding them, if they fail to deliver, it really isn't going to help the game's future... and let's be honest, most updates have just been flat out disappointing.

I do hope these updates really bring something 'fresh' to the game, because I am kinda thinking that because of the hype surrounding them, if they fail to deliver, it really isn't going to help the game's future... and let's be honest, most updates have just been flat out disappointing.

That is totally your opinion. If you remove many of the previous updates the game would be a shell of its former self. That's also pretty insulting to the developers.

I don't want to be over hyped so I won't be disappointed but it sure is hard to stay calm and think it's just another update.[smile]

I have to respectfully disagree. While some aspects of some of the updates have no been my cup of tea, every update so far has bought a lot of positive changes to the game.

You should go back to 1.0 a try to remember how utterly barebones it was compared to what we have now. The change is really very big.

Sure it could be better is some places and I think the developed the certain aspects of the game at the wrong time (multicrew). The game isn't perfect and still has a lot of untapped potential.

But I also hope the new updates bring something fresh to the game. I am really interested in the (excluding exploration and mining) new BGS stuff and the scenario changes.

Is anyone sad for the placeholders?

Do you mean the all seeing honk. Some what it to remain. Myself I am happy for the all seeing honk to go the way of the dodo if it creates a much better game environment and experience.

I hope we'll get scanning that needs you to waggle a joystick back and forth really fast, like Daley Thompson's Decathlon. The faster you waggle, the more Tea and Coffee canisters spawn on the moons you are revealing.

Then, once you've waggle-scanned, a golf-swing minigame of timing and skill is required to find each random USS hidden in the system. Miss the green zone, and the USS spawn 3,000,000 ls away.

Frontier, hire me!

I dont think the changes are likely to be an improvement for many of those who are currently Expert at Exploration, I think it will change what Exploration is, and that is good.

Face it, the current Exploration is total . It lurches from the inanely trivial (honk) to the mind numbingly dull (eyeballing), with no content other than what we create ourselves.
Maximum respect to those who have managed to find something worthwhile in that lot, really, but if Exploration is to improve, that small niche of enjoyment should not be considered sacrosanct. In reality, it might be better if the current Experts just let it go, and see what NEW enjoyment can be achieved.

When your search for an ELW with 4 Moons with rings with a temp above 200k is no longer a fun activity, PLEASE dont complain that exploration is broken, it might have just changed. If you genuinely cannot find anything fun to do with the new mechanic, then fire away, but if you come to that decision within the Beta period, I suggest you have not tried hard enough.

Last edited:
I hope really hope that there's something happening at planet side also. No ice planets but I really hope there would be new geysers or 1st iteration of lava planets or something.

I hope really hope that there's something happening at planet side also. No ice planets but I really hope there would be new geysers or 1st iteration of lava planets or something.
That should the new POIs. They will be key to the exploration, since they are the new shinies we're going to be looking for.

I don't expect them to be, but I really hope they or an aspect of them are procedurally generated, so finding a similar POI as you have found many times can still surprise you.

We'll see how it turns out tonight, but more so in the beta.

I just hope Q4 will bring enough stuff to keep us entertained untill the next exciting big thing in the not so near future will come.

I hope we'll get scanning that needs you to waggle a joystick back and forth really fast, like Daley Thompson's Decathlon. The faster you waggle, the more Tea and Coffee canisters spawn on the moons you are revealing.

Then, once you've waggle-scanned, a golf-swing minigame of timing and skill is required to find each random USS hidden in the system. Miss the green zone, and the USS spawn 3,000,000 ls away.

Frontier, hire me!

That game was great. I must have gotten through a ton of joysticks with that game.

I'll wait till beta, to be fair. Ed is hilarious. But endless shortcuts and cheats because they will not have time to present this as it will ship, as it will actually play, will be the order of the day.

I want to actually experience what was done. Not a compressed variant of it, that will only raise more questions than it happens to answer. I'm sure it will look and sound amazing; here's hoping it remains that way.

Frontier, hire me!

I still have my Atari 2600, and I honestly have a special controller JUST for Decathlon which has two arcade buttons on it, JUST for the running events! This thing saved a lot of Atari joysticks from early deaths!

Top Bottom