4.0 | Now Live

Do you really not see the problem ?
With this update, Odyssey players will no longer be able to experience new content on Horizon with their Horizon team mates like they used to prior to update 13.
That situation never existed.

To make this short: Odyssey players will no longer be able to play updated Horizon 4.0. And they can't just experience new narrtive, because apparently some stuff will be exclusive to Horizon 4.0 (Like the stargoids and such). Apparently Horizon 3.8 doesn't even have the hyper agressive thargs
I don't see the problem. Just buy Odyssey. Oh, people don't want to pay for ongoing development and new content? Well I guess that's bad luck for them. That's in your hands, not Frontier's.

Hi Bruce, thank you for confirming that Horizons 4.0 is merely just a cash grab from someone higher up
Yesterday this was my 1st thought as well, but the more i think about it the more you see it's actually going to be the complete opposite for FDEV. Think about it, if someone doesn't want on foot content then they have just been given everything they want. They get all the benefits of Odyssey without ever buying Odyssey and the on foot is not available, so they never see the worst of Odyssey. Then those that are adopting Odyssey are getting it at reduced prices, then might refund it when they can no longer play with their friends. This has got to be the worst cash grab ever, all this is, is a slap in the face of those that spent their hard earned on supporting new expansions and DLC.

I don't see the problem. Just buy Odyssey. Oh, people don't want to pay for ongoing development and new content? Well I guess that's bad luck for them. That's in your hands, not Frontier's.
I would love to buy Odyssey, but can't afford it, even if it is on sale. I only recently started playing Elite, because some videos on YouTube got me intrigued and the game was on sale for an affordable price.
Though, as I had to find out just a few minutes ago, I won't be able to play 4.0, either, as there isn't enough space on my computer.

Is there a way to uninstall the already installed files of 4.0?

Are there any patchnotes about what got updated in the Odyssey client ? It seems that I don't find anything about it but there has definitely been an "upgrade" from the launcher.

Just asking because my game is starting somewhat sloooow at the beginning after said "upgrade"... :confused:

I suddenly have to stare on a blank black screen for about 30 to 45 seconds when the game switches away from the desktop after clicking on play ??
Didn't take the exact time because at first I thought the game was stuck or had crashed. After that black screen the game starts fairly normal as far a I can say.

Not giving access to the EDH4 client to EDO players make absolutely no sense (and certainly not on a rating level since we still have access to the PEGI7 3.8 client).
I just thought of a possible reason, but it won't make people any happier.

Not giving EDH4.0 as an option for Odyssey players makes sense if 3.8 is going away much faster than we thought. At that point the Odyssey 'horizons' option becomes EDH4.0, and all horizons players can instance together again (as 3.8 no longer exists). And you get rid of the 3.8 disk space.

I'd been assuming 3.8 would be around for a year or so, but maybe it's days are far shorter. And at that point you'd have to think console support might also go, as there is now an exit path and no-one else will be on 3.8.

I just thought of a possible reason, but it won't make people any happier.

Not giving EDH4.0 as an option for Odyssey players makes sense if 3.8 is going away much faster than we thought. At that point the Odyssey 'horizons' option becomes EDH4.0, and all horizons players can instance together again (as 3.8 no longer exists). And you get rid of the 3.8 disk space.

I'd been assuming 3.8 would be around for a year or so, but maybe it's days are far shorter. And at that point you'd have to think console support might also go, as there is now an exit path and no-one else will be on 3.8.

Any thoughts on the reasoning behind keeping Odyssey & Horizons instancing separate?

This is a lie. Where's the Stargoid on Horizon 3.8 heh ?

If the answer is "Just buy odyssey", why will they continue to update Horizon 4.0 ? I mean, I'll give it to you they just said it was just a demo, but as it was marketed to me, only Horizon 4.0 would receive the new narrative stuff.

Again: The problem: They are offering everyone the possibility to experience Horizon 4.0.
They aren't blocking you from accessing new narrative content.
They are however blocking you from accessing the new narrative content with the people who cough up the doe for an very botched released.

This is a lie. Where's the Stargoid on Horizon 3.8 heh ?
That's what I said. In regards to content nothing changed for 3.8.
If the answer is "Just buy odyssey", why will they continue to update Horizon 4.0 ? I mean, I'll give it to you they just said it was just a demo, but as it was marketed to me, only Horizon 4.0 would receive the new narrative stuff.
Horizons 4.0 and Odyssey. I am the guy paying for the free updates, so I hope you do understand that I don't have much sympathy for freeloaders.

Again: The problem: They are offering everyone the possibility to experience Horizon 4.0.
They aren't blocking you from accessing new narrative content.
So it's a problem they aren't blocking you. That's not even a first world problem. It simply isn't a problem.

They are however blocking you from accessing the new narrative content with the people who cough up the doe for an very botched released.
People are only blocking themselves. Everyone is free to buy Odyssey, it's your job to pay for the ongoing development of the game. And the botched release was more than a year ago...

I have so many questions. Well, three.
1. Will I need to set up my HOTAS again?
2. If no, yay. If yes, can I copy my existing config file from Horizons 3.8 and they will just work?
3. Can I delete 3.8 from my machine?
OK to respond my own questions:
1. Yes. You are knackered yet again.

2. Apparently not, as far as I can ascertain.

3. Who cares? The whole game should be uninstalled.

I have just lost the will to live again. Has FDev learned nothing? The existing garbage HOTAS implementation that forgets settings in the blink of an eye and that hasn't improved since launch is bad enough. FDev now doubles down: "Yeah we will just blow away HOTAS users' binds again. There's plenty of workarounds, they are used to it, they won't care. They can read the forums."

Laughable.

Last edited:
That's what I said. In regards to content nothing changed for 3.8.

Horizons 4.0 and Odyssey. I am the guy paying for the free updates, so I hope you do understand that I don't have much sympathy for freeloaders.

So it's a problem they aren't blocking you. That's not even a first world problem. It simply isn't a problem.

People are only blocking themselves. Everyone is free to buy Odyssey, it's your job to pay for the ongoing development of the game. And the botched release was more than a year ago...
Or you know, the odyssey owner could rebuy the game without odyssey to play with "The freeloaders" on Horizon 4.0. That's the least expensive solution 🤡

Edit: It seems I should have made my last point on a single line. You fought I was complaining about getting Horizon 4.0 for free..

Last edited:
I came here to read how other Horizon players find “4.0”, but instead the thread is filled with complaining Odyssey users. Go figure.

I for one am grateful for the chance to try 4.0. Thank you, it’s great! Even with my meagre setup I get constant 60 fps. The machine is also as quiet as with 3.8. So, no disappointment there. I haven’t bought Odyssey because the first-person shooter type of thing doesn’t interest me and would likely cause me motion sickness anyway. But now that I know how it performs I probably will at some point.

Hmmm. Interesting thread.

I only play Odyssey (I do use Horizons, on my laptop, to move my FCs any distance, while playing EDO on my PC) and have never been able to instance with Horizons players...
I still can't instance with Horizons players, which I was told I still wouldn't be able to.
H 4.0 gives those Horizons players a chance to 'try' the 4.xx engine without Odyssey exclusive content (and, as expected, there are tears).

No change then, I still can't play with the people I couldn't play with, that's fine by me.

A
OK to respond my own questions:
1. Yes. You are knackered yet again.

2. Apparently not, as far as I can ascertain.

3. Who cares? The whole game should be uninstalled.

I have just lost the will to live again. Has FDev learned nothing? The existing garbage HOTAS implementation that forgets settings in the blink of an eye and that hasn't improved since launch is bad enough. FDev now doubles down: "Yeah we will just blow away HOTAS users' binds again. There's plenty of workarounds, they are used to it, they won't care. They can read the forums."

Laughable.
Actually I take it all back and humbly beg forgiveness. Everything works. It was my own ineptitude that made my initial experience dreadful. Not saying that the HOTAS implementation isn't a massive pile of junk, but it's not sufficient junk to be broken in this update.

Or you know, the odyssey owner could rebuy the game without odyssey to play with "The freeloaders" on Horizon 4.0. That's the least expensive solution 🤡
The least expensive solution is to sell your computer and stop playing video games. As long as the game isn't free to play someone needs to pay for the development of new content.
You fought I was complaining about getting Horizon 4.0 for free..
True, I am not sure what you are complaining about or if that thing you are complaining about even exists. So maybe that's why I don't get the issue, because it isn't there?

I was hoping that at some point me (Odyssey owner) would be able to play with some friends (Horizon owners only) together in one 4.0 instance, i.e. mate driving SRV but not being able to leave it like I can do (yes, I realize, that it is not THAT easy).

I am not really criticising FDev on not allowing this and keeping things separate, but I wonder if it would not actually be a smart move IF they want to attract more Horizon owners into buying Odyssey...

Morning Sallyyyyyyyy

Tell us all about the patch ... yesterday evening?

1663315798317.png

1663315850600.png

Was it the AX CZ?

The EDO settlement absolutely DO exist in EDH4.0, and you can land at them, and drive around them. You can even see inside the buildings. There just aren't any npcs walking about, and you cant get out on foot.

(beaten to it by Drinkybird :) )
So the assets exist but the NPCs do not, which means my point is still valid: you can't predict EDO performance by looking at EDH 4.0, because EDH 4.0 doesn't give you the full experience. No NPCs means no CPU cycles spent on pathfinding, no fires in buildings, etc.

I was hoping that at some point me (Odyssey owner) would be able to play with some friends (Horizon owners only) together in one 4.0 instance, i.e. mate driving SRV but not being able to leave it like I can do (yes, I realize, that it is not THAT easy).

I am not really criticising FDev on not allowing this and keeping things separate, but I wonder if it would not actually be a smart move IF they want to attract more Horizon owners into buying Odyssey...
Also opens up the possibility of Grand Theft SRV, even if it probably won't get far. :)

They get all the benefits of Odyssey without ever buying Odyssey and the on foot is not available

heh, no they dont.
the benefits of Odyssey are on-foot part of the game with everything that derives from it and the landing on planets with tenuous atmosphere
Horizons 4.0 does not get any of those

So the assets exist but the NPCs do not, which means my point is still valid: you can't predict EDO performance by looking at EDH 4.0, because EDH 4.0 doesn't give you the full experience. No NPCs means no CPU cycles spent on pathfinding, no fires in buildings, etc.

You can definitely predict it.
If you get 60fps+ while navigating a settlement, then you would still get playable rates with npc on.

Top Bottom