4.0 | Now Live

if they keep it around that is cool... but thistle was suggesting once players have tried 4.0 they would either buy EDO or go back to 3.8. yes a few will for the reasons you suggest but I believe that the majority who play EDH will play on 4.0
Sure, I'd tend to think that the majority will move to 4.0, and actually I expect most of them to pick up Odyssey one day too. After all if you can run 4.0 then it seems silly to miss out on the on foot content..

Hi Sally
have a Hor 4.0 bug if you use the SRV weapons on a planet you lose primary ships weapons on retuning to space the only way to get them back is relogging the game

If you like the on-foot part, good for you, but some of us don't really care about it, so...
Yep, same as you, I have absolutely no interest in on foot play - it is a SPACE SIM and I want to fly my SPACESHIPS!!!!!!!.
If I do yearn for or want FPS in next 2 years, I will do Mass Effect Legendary (totally outclassing EDO FPS with those stupid looking running hands) - not played yet as I did all 3 on PS.

say what? there was a pretty big outcry about the dropping of consoles.

that it is perhaps not as vocal as it once was is because it has been made incredibly clear that it isnt going to happen. that ship has sailed (flown) so there is no point asking and asking and asking. I have complete sympathy for console users who ended up in a dead end and cant afford a gaming pc.

However the jury is still out on whether FD will youturn from the current stance of working as intended and insinuating that the players were wrong to think that FD ever going to let odyssey and horizons play together on the current platform.

can all the people in my PG afford to buy ED:O? sure they can but that logic could be used for anything.... they could afford to pay £10 a month subs to keep access but it does not mean they should have to. I wonder how many people would have hesitated on buying ED:O had they of known that they would be lockign themselves out of playing with friends on horizons once it moved over to the new platform?
They already locked themselves out from the moment they bought OD right while others were residing in 3.8 . The thing is, Frontier is in a position right now, damned if they go left or right, it's never good enough, never. But when Odyssey came out, would you have still bought it if your friends would have said, please don't because I'm not going to buy it, my pc can't run it?? No, all those who wanted OD bought OD, so there you left your friends behind already. And if Frontier brings a 4.0 version out which for me is a "try-to-make-you-buy Odyssey" move, you are complaining that you can't access it? Weird.

Yep, same as you, I have absolutely no interest in on foot play - it is a SPACE SIM and I want to fly my SPACESHIPS!!!!!!!.
If I do yearn for or want FPS in next 2 years, I will do Mass Effect Legendary (totally outclassing EDO FPS with those stupid looking running hands) - not played yet as I did all 3 on PS.
You know there's more to Odyssey than just on-foot combat? I also expect on-foot gameplay to expand even more in the future.

You're also missing out on tenuous atmosphere planets (you can see them from your ship but you cannot land on them in Horizons 4.0). So no driving about them in your SRV (on your spaceship game) or exobiology, or just enjoying the on-foot visuals.

Plus there's going to be some on-foot CGs coming in the future. Although there will be ship-based one's as well.

People who only bought Horizons but didn’t buy Odyssey have access to Horizons 4.0, and anyone who buys Odyssey will lose that access. It astonishes me that anyone wouldn’t be ticked off about that even just in principle.

Show me a world where people want to spend money to lose access to products they’ve already bought.

The apologia going on in these forums has significantly lowered my overall opinion of the community, and that’s saying something. Even Frontier hasn’t come out and tried to claim that “This is good, actually,” yet, and I doubt they will.

People who only bought Horizons but didn’t buy Odyssey have access to Horizons 4.0, and anyone who buys Odyssey will lose that access. It astonishes me that anyone wouldn’t be ticked off about that even just in principle.

Show me a world where people want to spend money to lose access to products they’ve already bought.

The apologia going on in these forums has significantly lowered my overall opinion of the community, and that’s saying something. Even Frontier hasn’t come out and tried to claim that “This is good, actually,” yet, and I doubt they will.
I bought Horizons back in 2020ish. I upgraded to Odyssey not long after it was released. I never bought Horizons 4.0, only 3.8 (which was just called Horizons). However my Epic Games Store account (which was free, so I didn't actually pay for it) was 3.8 when I purchased it (again, just called Horizons). Now I'll be able to upgrade it to Horizons 4.0 for free. I'll still have to pay for Odyssey though.

However, I do agree, as an Odyssey owner, I should be able to log-in to Horizons 4.0.

You know there's more to Odyssey than just on-foot combat? I also expect on-foot gameplay to expand even more in the future.

You're also missing out on tenuous atmosphere planets (you can see them from your ship but you cannot land on them in Horizons 4.0). So no driving about them in your SRV (on your spaceship game) or exobiology, or just enjoying the on-foot visuals.

Plus there's going to be some on-foot CGs coming in the future. Although there will be ship-based one's as well.
There is also much less to Odyssey as to Horizons 3.8 at the moment as well...

This is akin as to what happened a few years ago with the release of Egosoft's X-Rebirth VR version, the stand alone VR edition of the 'on screen version' where the dev team chose to remove or 'comment out' a lot of content of the 'onscreen' version because they assumed that it would drag FPS down on VR headsets. Nothing could have been farther from the truth.

A few modders made the 'recall' mod and brought back a lot of the content that was cut out (stations that were removed from the map etc...) and the mod got a lot of positive feedback.

Unfortunately, Elite Dangerous cannot be modded, and we cannot bring back the cloud and lighting effects, and the general atmosphere that we grew fond of in those 10 years of ED that led to Horizons, but which failed to materialize in Odyssey.

What I don't like about Odyssey, is that the devs made you grow fond of a lollypop with a certain taste for the last 10 years (let's call it vanilla for reference sake) and then rewrite the engine to include new content and new visuals but in the process change the taste to something completely different (let's call that strawberry for reference sake).

In short it's still a lollypop, it feels like a lollypop, and your tongue still recognises the lollypop shape, but the taste is completely off, it went from Vanilla to Strawberry without warning.

To understand what I mean: put your favorite VR gear on, fire up Horizons 3.8, play for an hour, then do the same with OD or with 4.0 and you will know exactly what I am talking about.

Like I said. 3.8 needs some TLC, but Odyssey needs much more than that. The reviews on steam from ODY don't lie neither and are also a far cry from what they are for Horizons.

ODY to me is a fleshed out Alpha, nothing more.

Last edited:

It's not good but it is funny.

No there's not.
Judging by your answer,I assume you play 'on screen' ? If so, then you have no point of reference, and your reply is moot.

In VR Horizons 3.8 looks terrific while Odyssey does not - and that is a fact. I frankly don't play these games 'on screen ' anymore.

Here is a little thread that also tells the same story and not only from my point of view:

Last edited:
Or let me compare it this way:

Odyssey is an F-35 with all the bells and whistles, stealth, vector thrust, and a smart AI.

Horizons 3.8 is an F-16 that is fun to fly.

50 Extra feature upgrades (especially in a procedural game) mean nothing if said game is visually inferior to the previous version, the version it wishes to replace and throws 10 years of 'established visuals' out the window. ODY should at least look on par, have the same atmosphere as HOR, which at the moment it does not do. Furthermore Horizons is a complete VR experience, while ODY is not.

I am not talking features, I am talking atmosphere... You know the feeling that you 'are there'. That's gameplay.
Except of course 3.8 Horizons has no tenuous atmospheres to enjoy. I realise on-foot VR is non-existent but then you don't get on-foot in Horizons anyway. 4.0 does at least have the updated plantetary tech though, even if you still cannot land on the new tenuous atmospheric planets.

50 Extra feature upgrades (especially in a procedural game) mean nothing if said game is visually inferior to the previous version, the version it wishes to replace and throws 10 years of 'established visuals' out the window. ODY should at least look on par, have the same atmosphere as HOR, which at the moment it does not do. Furthermore Horizons is a complete VR experience, while ODY is not.
Odyssey personally looks much better than Horizons (and I'm not including the tenuous atmospheres in that). The skybox is darker (as it should be). Horizons looks too washed-out and orange. Even Planetary tech is improved (the height map has changed, so there's less extremes). Yes it looks different to Horizons but for tenuous atmospheres to be implemented, Stellar Forge had to be updated as well. On-foot gameplay also couldn't have happened without an improved engine.

I presume you'd just have preferred Odyssey was never released?

Maybe its not as simple as i see it. BUT EDO and EDH4.0 could play together. Would it just be as simple as disabling the Disembark button for EDH4.0 players?
No, because disembarking to use on foot is just 1 Odyssey extra. Another Oddy only is the Atmosphere on planets to give you those gorgeous screenshots, Can't click a button to hide them too. And there are (I've read)some other minor graphical differences as well

Judging by your answer,I assume you play 'on screen' ? If so, then you have no point of reference, and your reply is moot.

In VR Horizons 3.8 looks terrific while Odyssey does not - and that is a fact. I frankly don't play these games 'on screen ' anymore.

Here is a little thread that also tells the same story and not only from my point of view:
I must admit it took some patches and even now 3.8 runs better than ody in VR but I think Odyssey is fine in VR where it is supported. (that said I do have a 3090)

I do miss some of the extreme terrain however

Top Bottom