4.0 | Now Live

* people demand to play 4.0, use hack to do it, and then find ... what the hell am I playing this for? It's not as good as Odyssey.. *
Because Odyssey and 4.0 can't instance together (which I do understand the technical reasons behind that but that's another subject), the community is divided and players still want to play with their friends using the new content. Personally, I would like to either wing up, multi-crew or drive around in the Scorpion on Horizon Planets with someone regardless if they're in Odyssey or Horizons. The compromise is to use the "hack" to put Odyssey in 4.0 mode but, of course, that means I can't access Odyssey content at the same time. I'd have to log out and play with Odyssey only friends for that stuff (which I'm fine with). However, it does feel like a bit of a stick to say, 'If you want to play with your friends, get them to buy Odyssey.'

On the other hand, if the November update adds something fantastic that is Odyssey exclusive then more people will buy Odyssey and this will be less of an issue, which is would be a big carrot.

But my point about losing nothing functional moving from 3.8 to 4.0 is still valid, Odyssey players couldn't instance with 3.8 players either and people are complaining about getting a free update. :unsure:

Mind you, We did gain something and, despite by grumbling, I'd thank fdev for making sure CQC players from 4.0 and Odyssey can play against each other. Now if you could add the thargoids back in after a small timelimit, that would be awesome. ;)

Last edited:
See it is posts like this which are deliberately missing the point which causes these threads to go on and on. you know exactly why (some) EDO players want access to 4.0

Because Odyssey and 4.0 can't instance together (which I do understand the technical reasons behind that but that's another subject), the community is divided and players still want to play with their friends using the new content.

Of course I do know why people want 4.0 for instancing together. My point though was that after all the (often synthetic) anger and demands, what will people actually think when they play it? Either using the hack or if fdev change their minds?

* people demand to play 4.0, use hack to do it, and then find ... what the hell am I playing this for? It's not as good as Odyssey.. *

And then many will buy Odyssey, and the whole drama will be irrelevant.

I mean why would anybody actually deliberately want to play Odyssey without the Odyssey content?

"Because my friends don't want to buy it". Oh well.

Of course I do know why people want 4.0 for instancing together. My point though was that after all the (often synthetic) anger and demands, what will people actually think when they play it? Either using the hack or if fdev change their minds?

And then many will buy Odyssey, and the whole drama will be irrelevant.
How can H4 be "not as good as Odyssey" ??? It's the same code base, except for the on-foot content! :rolleyes:

I mean why would anybody actually deliberately want to play Odyssey without the Odyssey content?

"Because my friends don't want to buy it". Oh well.
The fact that it does not bother you personally is fair enough, but the fact you are not sympathetic to others that it does screw over is quite telling imo.

lets take it away from elite for a second and maybe (probably not) you can see how stupid it is .

Gears of war 5 has a bunch of MP content........... they released an expansion to it which gave some new content.... there is absolutely no chance at all that Microsoft would have suddenly said...... hang one... this player has bought the gears hivebusters expansion..... so they can no longer play on the other jointly owned content with their friends......... and if they DID do that they would be hell to pay (right fully so). It is unprecedented AFAIK

one person listed a bunch of games which they claim are exactly like elite, locking players who got the expansion from playing with any without on the content owned by all. The thing is I own over half the games listed so i KNOW they are lying..... why they would do that i have no idea.... but they are - at least on the games that they named that i own.

Last edited:
The fact that it does not bother you personally is fair enough, but the fact you are not sympathetic to others that it does screw over is quite telling imo.

lets take it away from elite for a second and maybe (probably not) you can see how stupid it is .

Gears of war 5 has a bunch of MP content........... they released an expansion to it which gave some new content.... there is absolutely no chance at all that Microsoft would have suddenly said...... hang one... this player has bought the gears hivebusters expansion..... so they can no longer play on the other jointly owned content with their friends......... and if they DID do that they would be hell to pay (right fully so). It is unprecedented AFAIK

one person listed a bunch of games which they claim are exactly like elite, locking players who got the expansion from playing with any without on the content owned by all. The thing is I own over half the games listed so i KNOW they are lying..... why they would do that i have no idea.... but they are - at least on the games that they named that i own.
No that comparison sounds more like (for example) Elite adding a new ship, or fleet carriers, and not allowing players to instance together. Obviously ridiculous.

Odyssey isn't 3.8 with an extra ship (ironically) but a rewrite of the game. Enhanced Edition, I guess.

So its not the same situation as Gears getting an expansion.

The whole argument over 4.0 is quite different from that situation. Fdev seemingly have made a decision that people need to pay for it to instance together with others in Odyssey, for whatever reason. The hysteria about this is hilarious.

And the post I wrote that you and others are responding to, ie * people demand to play 4.0, use hack to do it, and then find ... what the hell am I playing this for? It's not as good as Odyssey.. * still holds. This is a synthetic argument in September 2022 which will be forgotten in a couple of months time.

Because nobody will actually want to play 4.0. Except, you know, to test it for free.

I think fdev should just pull it after a period. Like the grace period for console transfers. Whatever the date fdev decide to switch off console transfers, thats the date to pull free access to 4.0.

OR pull 3.8.

One of the two.

No that comparison sounds more like (for example) Elite adding a new ship, or fleet carriers, and not allowing players to instance together. Obviously ridiculous.

Odyssey isn't 3.8 with an extra ship (ironically) but a rewrite of the game. Enhanced Edition, I guess.

So its not the same situation as Gears getting an expansion.

The whole argument over 4.0 is quite different from that situation. Fdev seemingly have made a decision that people need to pay for it to instance together with others in Odyssey, for whatever reason. The hysteria about this is hilarious.

And the post I wrote that you and others are responding to, ie * people demand to play 4.0, use hack to do it, and then find ... what the hell am I playing this for? It's not as good as Odyssey.. * still holds. This is a synthetic argument in September 2022 which will be forgotten in a couple of months time.

Because nobody will actually want to play 4.0. Except, you know, to test it for free.
That's a good reminder. I was going to say having Horizons 4.0 compared to Odyssey is the same as having Elite Dangerous compared to Elite Dangerous Horizons, where the difference between Horizons and Odyssey is ability to walk around and go into station concourses, as opposed to the difference between Elite Dangerous and Elite Dangerous Horizons is the ability to land on a planet, but really Horizons 4.0 is there only to show Horizons players what Horizons 4.0 is like...because Horizons 4.0 is what they'll only be seeing, eventually.

I think fdev should just pull it after a period. Like the grace period for console transfers. Whatever the date fdev decide to switch off console transfers, thats the date to pull free access to 4.0.

OR pull 3.8.

One of the two.
There was a day or 2, back around Odyssey patch 7 or 8, where either something messed up, or only the Odyssey servers were running. For those 2 days, Odyssey ran as smooth as butter for me. Then they got the servers sorted out, doing a sever side patch, and Odyssey went back to low, choppy, freezing at times, fps. That suggests to me, things will be better all around if they didnt have to keep both systems going. When they first launched Odyssey, even after the rough beta and early launch, they were wanting to only keep Horizons around until October or November, 2021, and at the same time be launching Odyssey on consoles. Due to not getting Odyssey onto consoles, there's this added delay, but Im fairly certain they'd want to pull 3.8 completely. If not completely, then have it not effect the BGS, or however it lags the Odyssey servers. 3.8 could turn into the offline/single player only experience some people were wanting, back in the kickstarter days.
Since Ody launched, I've only been in Horizons maybe 4 times, and that's just to compare if assets are in similar places. The sooner they drop 3.8, the sooner things get smooth.

Well if you have a potato that doesn't run 4.0 well you might want to still run 3.8, or if you are looking for the old planet tech i.e. visiting Mt Neverest or going canyon racing on Pomeche. I'd like to think that they'd keep 3.8 around as they still support it on consoles, but only the Brebus knows what the future brings..!

Well if you have a potato that doesn't run 4.0 well you might want to still run 3.8, or if you are looking for the old planet tech i.e. visiting Mt Neverest or going canyon racing on Pomeche. I'd like to think that they'd keep 3.8 around as they still support it on consoles, but only the Brebus knows what the future brings..!
Yes, keep 3.8 around for those reasons and overall better VR performance. From Froniter's perspective, I see it no different and very similar to why they give us the option to log into Elite Dangerous (non-Horizons) today.

My two cents is this:

The VR performance but more importantly the visuals are way better in 3.8 than they are in 4.0 or Odyssey. I kinda like the 'old look'. Call me old fashioned.

- For those who play VR exclusively (like me) 3.8 is the way to go. Space legs non VR implementation and the castration that happened visually with Odyssey for performance reasons along with the inability to have Odyssey look as good as Horizons 3.8 in VR trying to tweak the graphical settings and being unable to do so; I am in favor of keeping Keep 3.8 active and let the ones that wish to do so merge to Odyssey with new content and ships.

Also as a solo player mostly now I don't really do multiplayer like I used to, so I won't miss out on that either.

As long as Odyssey has these two flaws, I see no reason why 3.8 should be shelved for us VR players and people with potato setups alike. And if they do, maybe it would be time to release 3.8 (if discontinued) as that 'offline' version that was scrapped way back at kickstart.

Last edited:
if they keep it around that is cool... but thistle was suggesting once players have tried 4.0 they would either buy EDO or go back to 3.8. yes a few will for the reasons you suggest but I believe that the majority who play EDH will play on 4.0

Well, I must say, I'm running 4.0 on the biggest potato pc out there. As a retired Army man with a lot of Real Life issues, I don't have the money aside to buy a good one right away. I play on a Lenovo thinkcentre m91 (small factor) with an old I5-2400 and a GPU that is way below the minimum, a GT 1030 Low Profile. My ps4 died a few weeks ago so I had to transfer right away. When I play on 3.8, I have nowhere issues, 4.0 is something else. There are moments that at a station it goes very choppy but I know why. And in time I will work my way up to get a better GPU. My CPU in combo with 16Gb ram and an SSD can handle it pretty well. But once I tried 4.0, I'm not going back to 3.8. What does shock me is that this convo is going on for so long now. People want to play with friends but those friends would have to buy Odyssey. I don't get what the big deal is. If you buy Odyssey but you don't like the foot stuff, well stay in your ship. Right now the price is set at $39.99 for Odyssey. That ain't much to still being able to play with your friends. I paid $256 on Amazon to get something so I could keep playing the game. My "friends" are gone. Most of the PS4 "friends" went to other games and I'm ok with that. Because in the end, I decide for myself what I want to play. The game for me has enough to offer to keep me busy for years. That there is so much drama about the 4.0 version not being there for Odyssey players is so minor in contrast with the day Frontier decided to stop developing the game for the consoles. Oh wait, we had that one short comment: "buy a pc". Well, a pc is more expensive than a DLC, even my potato box, but I would say: "buy the DLC". problem solved. I have a "friend" on PS4 who doesn't want to dedicate a pc for gaming, what can I say... ? I'm not gonna cry about it. He goes his way, I go mine. Maybe you have already noticed that I call him a "friend", not a friend. What Frontier decides is up to Frontier. For 4.0 is there for people to see what they can have + a lot of extras while buying Odyssey. Nothing more, nothing less.

to some, $40 is petty cash. To others, it is an amount that makes them think thrice.

$40 is a hefty price to regain instancing AND lose it with someone else, no?

Hence the reason i got Odyssey for my recently migrated XB account right AFTER Fdev discounted it to 20€
And i used the difference to buy ARX to pimp my cmdr.

No matter how you put it... if someone has good enough internet to play Elite in multiplayer and a good enough computer to play Horizons 4.0 / Odyssey, they cant really say they cannot afford 20€ to buy Odyssey from official channels when discounted OR to buy it with 5-10€ from shady sites.

W That there is so much drama about the 4.0 version not being there for Odyssey players is so minor in contrast with the day Frontier decided to stop developing the game for the consoles. Oh wait, we had that one short comment: "buy a pc".
say what? there was a pretty big outcry about the dropping of consoles.

that it is perhaps not as vocal as it once was is because it has been made incredibly clear that it isnt going to happen. that ship has sailed (flown) so there is no point asking and asking and asking. I have complete sympathy for console users who ended up in a dead end and cant afford a gaming pc.

However the jury is still out on whether FD will youturn from the current stance of working as intended and insinuating that the players were wrong to think that FD ever going to let odyssey and horizons play together on the current platform.

can all the people in my PG afford to buy ED:O? sure they can but that logic could be used for anything.... they could afford to pay £10 a month subs to keep access but it does not mean they should have to. I wonder how many people would have hesitated on buying ED:O had they of known that they would be lockign themselves out of playing with friends on horizons once it moved over to the new platform?

Top Bottom