4.0 | Now Live

o7

i tried to catch up with 45 pages of this post

just to be sure :
- still no reason from FDEV why EDO owners can't launch EDH 4.0 ?
- still no workaround/command line to do that (i uninstalled EDO, but still no EDH 4.0 available, not surprised) ?

No amount of flak would have brought them this far if the heads at that studio didn’t have the love and passion for the game that they do.
I think that's only partially true. Yes, they are more passionate about their game than Frontier is about ED, but NMS was also the game that put Hello Games on the map. I think they were facing a choice between improving the game or closing down the company. Fortunately they made the right choice.

Unfortunately that wouldn't solve anything. At best they would receive refunds, but nothing about the game would change.

Remember when Sean Murray was grilled because NMS was missing features that he had promised at launch? Even the Guardian wrote about it. And we all know what happened after that: 22 major updates (and counting) adding massive amounts of gameplay features (way beyond what was initially promised) and graphical improvements. Such is the power of the sh..storm.

NMS may not be a game for you and me, but if you read NMS player comments, you can't help but notice they are a happy community, not a frustrated one.

Frontier on the other hand can do what they do because we let them get away with it. Instead of calling them out, many ED players just quietly withdraw from the game, knowing it will never be completed, fixed, or substantially improved.
Can we please stop mentioning NMS? First it's not even the same genre. I could just as well give FDEV the advice to look at Disco Elysum which actually happens to be an awesome game.

But NMS still fails. They sold 10 million units. It's somewhat better than it used to be at release, when it was going down from 37k average (212k peak) players to 700 in 2016. It went down from 5k average (19k peak) to 900 in 2017.
28k average (96k peak) to 3k in 2018.
20k average (61k peak) to 3k in 2019.
12k average (34k peak) to 7k in 2020.
17k average (38k peak) to 6k in 2021.
15k average (40k peak) to 9k in 2022.

This very much shows that some of the 10 million customers do try out the new updates but not many people stay to keep playing it. Player retention seems to be a major problem. If the same thing happened to ED everyone would lose their minds and call for doom.
In the meantime Elite Dangerous still has as many active players as it had 8 years ago, which happens to be a major achievement.

Nobody said:
Awesome. Steamcharts and NMS. That's just what this thread needed.

Can we please stop mentioning NMS? First it's not even the same genre. I could just as well give FDEV the advice to look at Disco Elysum which actually happens to be an awesome game.

But NMS still fails. They sold 10 million units. It's somewhat better than it used to be at release, when it was going down from 37k average (212k peak) players to 700 in 2016. It went down from 5k average (19k peak) to 900 in 2017.
28k average (96k peak) to 3k in 2018.
20k average (61k peak) to 3k in 2019.
12k average (34k peak) to 7k in 2020.
17k average (38k peak) to 6k in 2021.
15k average (40k peak) to 9k in 2022.

This very much shows that some of the 10 million customers do try out the new updates but not many people stay to keep playing it. Player retention seems to be a major problem. If the same thing happened to ED everyone would lose their minds and call for doom.
In the meantime Elite Dangerous still has as many active players as it had 8 years ago, which happens to be a major achievement.
I'd be willing to bet that the majority of those 10 million aren't Steam users, so the data is a bit skewed. It would be the same as if I were to have you compare NMS data with ED. ED is about 1/3 of the average of NMS, but we don't know what quantity of licenses on each we're comparing, so it's all junk data.

Unfortunately that wouldn't solve anything. At best they would receive refunds, but nothing about the game would change.

Remember when Sean Murray was grilled because NMS was missing features that he had promised at launch? Even the Guardian wrote about it. And we all know what happened after that: 22 major updates (and counting) adding massive amounts of gameplay features (way beyond what was initially promised) and graphical improvements. Such is the power of the sh..storm.
Actually I knew non of that.
NMS may not be a game for you and me, but if you read NMS player comments, you can't help but notice they are a happy community, not a frustrated one.
I have no interest in NMS and so have even less in reading the comments of their playerbase.
Frontier on the other hand can do what they do because we let them get away with it. Instead of calling them out, many ED players just quietly withdraw from the game, knowing it will never be completed, fixed, or substantially improved.

Alright well that's enough then. I am not a regular here and for obvious reasons wont become one anytime soon, and since I have already said my piece.

TLDR on 4.0 Live
This patch was the final patch that broke the camels back for 4 players.
stillcouldbeworse.jpg

* people demand to play 4.0, use hack to do it, and then find ... what the hell am I playing this for? It's not as good as Odyssey.. *
See it is posts like this which are deliberately missing the point which causes these threads to go on and on. you know exactly why (some) EDO players want access to 4.0

if you dont want it that is fine.... if you do not think EDO players should have access that is also fine (a strange view imo but you are entitled to it if that is how you feel)............. but it has nothing to do with thinking that 4.0 is better than ED:O... but everything to do with me wanting to play with my mates who own ED:H but who understandably want to be able to play on the branch which is not in maintenance mode.

The notion that things are exactly the same as before is also not true. before 3.8 was the current version of horizons, it had all the narrative content and was the best version of the game unless you bought ED:O

Now however 3.8 is obsolete, it wont get any new content and as such the vast majority of horizons players wont want to use it. (yes i know Old Duck and people like him dont want it, but the majority will)
So it absolutely is not the same as before

Last edited:
Top Bottom