A Call For Frontier To Put VR Legs On The Upcoming Road Map

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I don't think there was ever going to be any movement on the VR until after console release - and I don't think FDev have any plans beyond that for anything as they will then be firefighting that release - so it's probably safe to say that VR was always going to take a backseat on the plan until after all of that.

Here's a lesson from the past, an article which is still live on the Frontier Customer Support website, last updated in April 2021

Will Elite Dangerous support PlayStation®VR?
Elite Dangerous is a flagship VR game on PC so of course, VR is important to us. It’s definitely something we’re looking into, but we have nothing to announce for launch.

Elite Dangerous launched on PlayStation 4 on 27 June 2017

o7

Firstly - this goggle-head is happy that I’ve got some form of VR in Odyssey, because we were originally getting nothing (“at launch” of course). Buuuuut

…what I find disappointing is that a basic headlook on-foot VR is so close - using the vanity camera suite, I can step into my avatar and run and jetpack around in full VR - or, if I use a virtual desktop, I can play what is essentially the same virtual flatscreen as Odyssey provides but in stereoscopic 3D (using the 3D SBS option).

That FDev aren’t going to implement (as an option, I would hope) the sort of basic VR that lone modders have been able to bring to other flatscreen games - well, like I said - disappointing.

The original put-in of VR into Elite Dangerous was so quick that it would’ve taken longer to write the business case for its implementation, and it was a cool thing to do (from a David Braben interview). It would seem there was time to write a case this time and VR lost 😕

They still white knight when people report problems and issue. Sometimes even bugs.

Eventually, some of them were, ironically, caught into the performance issue and bugs, and have now stopped posting or rant like the other side they trolled so much.
There are certain members on here that launch personal attack crusades against people talking about bugs. I remember one person in particular getting pretty vile in the thread about the pulse wave scanner bug.

VR headsets are mighty expensive toys to just box away.

Pram means "box", right? You Brits and your funny words ;)
Exactly why I'd never buy a VR headset to play one game.

Although even then, all of the content that people have spent the last six years telling us is superb in VR is still there and still in VR, so I hardly think it can be classed as a wasted investment.

Although even then, all of the content that people have spent the last six years telling us is superb in VR is still there and still in VR, so I hardly think it can be classed as a wasted investment.
Yet you seem to take some pleasure in seeing other people being sad because something they enjoy to do will be discontinued.

I don't care about VR. But I'm sad for the people who enjoyed it, and can't with Odyssey.

That's called empathy. Google it.

I bought my Rift mostly to play Elite. I've played other things with it, and had a lot of fun! But mainly I bought it for Elite.

At this point, I think my best case scenario is just that they don't merge Horizons with Odyssey. (I know, unlikely).

Yet you seem to take some pleasure in seeing other people being sad because something they enjoy to do will be discontinued.

I don't care about VR. But I'm sad for the people who enjoyed it, and can't with Odyssey.

That's called empathy. Google it.
No idea where you're getting all this from chief. I replied to one person who was ballooning about spamming the forums with memes and all sorts. I told him to basically grow up because whatever his point of view is, crapping up the forum is unlikely to achieve whatever his desired aims may be.

Also what is being 'discontinued' exactly? Last I heard VR is simply not being introduced for on-foot gameplay. It's still there in ships and will remain so.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom