A Guide to Minor Factions and the Background Sim

You don't need to be pledged to a Power to carry out BGS actions in Powerplay systems. There are two reasons it may be harder (or easier, depending on which way you want to go, though I think most of the 'easier' has been done already)

1) Powers tend to increase influence gains for their own superpower and reduce it for others
2) The players supporting a Power may want that system to have a particular government type in charge because of its effects on their CC economy.

So you may find yourself fighting both the Power and its player representatives, for some changes.

I really do hope they separate this.

o7 CMDRS,

is there a list/Image/tabelle where to see how influence increases by Bounty-vouchers per inhabitans?

THX for Reply.

CMDR STEU3R

Gaining fines have same outcome as black market trades, but how those count if you pay your fines after tick, do influence lost get restored if you pay fines?

Regarding to exploration data and influence does it matter if i sell every single system (single transaction) or a full page at once.
And is ther a player cap know regarding the amount of data (credits) i can sell with every tick ?
And can selling exploration data still trigger a boom state for the controlling faction ?

Last edited:
Regarding to exploration data and influence does it matter if i sell every single system (single transaction) or a full page at once.
And is ther a player cap know regarding the amount of data (credits) i can sell with every tick ?
And can selling exploration data still trigger a boom state for the controlling faction ?

yes. Do by it system. check faq thread for system amount.
No and yes. it depends if you are opposed or not.
Yes.

Just wondering how you feel about that. Personally do you like this transaction system against one another?

Or should it be in bulk and count the same.
The justification for Transactions was to prevent newer CMDRs in smaller ships having any effect swamped by a single CMDR in a big powerfull ship.
Theory works for Combat, but as a Sidey can generated Exploration Data at pretty much the same rate as an ExploraConda, Transactions in this area just lead to gaming the system.

The justification for Transactions was to prevent newer CMDRs in smaller ships having any effect swamped by a single CMDR in a big powerfull ship.
Theory works for Combat, but as a Sidey can generated Exploration Data at pretty much the same rate as an ExploraConda, Transactions in this area just lead to gaming the system.

I agree. This is however a weird one to look at. And has been spoke about for a little while.

It feels weird that if someone doesnt know about it. They could lose to someone that knows how to be efficient. How do you fix that problem.

There has to be a UI change or something to force everyone to do it the same way. Or make some radical change with it all together.

So completing a mission with more Influence pluses for a minor faction is no different to the standard 2 pluses?

So completing a mission with more Influence pluses for a minor faction is no different to the standard 2 pluses?

I'm pretty sure not. Inf++++ should be twice as beneficial to a faction than inf++.

The transactions they are talking about are handing in combat bonds, bounties? and exploration data, where it is better I believe to hand in lots of small amounts rather than one large amount. So, better to hand in 10 lots of 10,000 credit combat bonds than one lump of 100,000 credits, and exploration data by the system rather than the page.

I confess I'm no expert, so hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people will drop by and either confirm or put me straight. :)

I'm pretty sure not. Inf++++ should be twice as beneficial to a faction than inf++.

Has that been proven? Back when missions were described as low, med or high, it was found (the ratio of) points was logarithmic as 1, 2 and 4. So ++++ would be 8 and +++++ 16.

That sort of ratio is core to many things in the BGS, so I'd be surprised if that had changed.

Last edited:

We don't know that there is no difference.
What is likely is that 2 x Inf +, is not the same as 1 x Inf ++.
In 3.2 you could perform different actions and look at the % change to compare. In 3.3 the result is binary so comparison will take a long time to test, and virtually impossible with the current bugs.

Last edited:

The transactions they are talking about are handing in combat bonds, bounties? and exploration data, where it is better I believe to hand in lots of small amounts rather than one large amount. So, better to hand in 10 lots of 10,000 credit combat bonds than one lump of 100,000 credits, and exploration data by the system rather than the page.

I confess I'm no expert, so hopefully one of the more knowledgeable people will drop by and either confirm or put me straight. :)

What you say about transactions is true, though I have not personally heard of this for exploration data. However, it stands to reason that the process would work identically because we are indeed submitting transactions when selling exploration data. Five pages would mean five transactions as opposed to potentially 50+ transactions if sold by system. I would suggest to sell by system if one doesn't have a dozen or more pages, but if returning from a long voyage (to Colonia or Sag A*), then sell by page unless you have a few hours to kill.

Thanks to Jmanis for the correction. :)

As I said, not an expert at BGS manipulation, but on the occasions that I've been involved supporting a faction recently I've certainly prioritized taking missions with a high inf reward option and have definitely seen encouraging results.

Submitting multiple small transactions when possible has also seemed to work well (that was in terms of combat bonds), although the times I have handed in exploration data I confess I didn't bother and handed in by the page, a process that still took well over an hour.

What you say about transactions is true, though I have not personally heard of this for exploration data. However, it stands to reason that the process would work identically because we are indeed submitting transactions when selling exploration data. Five pages would mean five transactions as opposed to potentially 50+ transactions if sold by system. I would suggest to sell by system if one doesn't have a dozen or more pages, but if returning from a long voyage (to Colonia or Sag A*), then sell by page unless you have a few hours to kill.

That used to be the case, selling each system rather than page by page. However it was fixed in a patch so selling a full page would produce the same effect as selling 50 systems.

Last edited:

Ok this is a joke, yesterday i sold 8 Pages of Exploration Data worth 108,420,662 Credits and the influence in System A fell down by -0.1 %. I dont know what happened if i would have sold it with single transactions but if you look on the excel sheet (there are some strange numbers in it) selling single transactions didnt had that much impact neither in the other systems. Did FD change something in the last big update or do i need to sell millions and millions of data with single transactions to get a better influence gain ?
I mean i did a test with missions worth 18 influence points in one of this system and the influence gain was 2.1%. So is the balance between exploration and doing missions not right ajusted at the moment ?
I have not testet trading yet in the new patch but i will do it soon.

I made a small test with the Exploration Data i collected and wrote it down on an excel sheet, sorry for the bad formatting and my english.

Edit: I sold the Exploration Data for the same Minor Faction in every System.

S0tXJlo.png

Last edited:
Yes, I sold a dozen individual systems to a 0 traffic system yesterday. One of the assetless factions went up by 4%, everyone else went down, the faction I handed it into the most. Its borked. I will just keep all my Data till a fix comes in, and continue to do just 1 mission/CZ per day where we have a conflict and are not Total Victory. Doing anything more is a waste of my time.

Did you try in any systems without either high traffic or high population? The closest I can see in your data is system E, but that may just be increasing due to actions by the other traffic.

Just wondering, is anyone seeing "little gains for Exploration" while the same faction is in a conflict in another system?

One of our pilots returned from a run to Sag A yesterday and started to sell the data around our systems, at our stations where we wanted to lift our standing, but also at other factions stations where we want to take the stations off them.

We were at War in one system, and that was ignored, bar the fighting.

All data was sold one system at a time, amounting to around 6m per system. About 80m credits in total.

We saw minimal increases in the systems we dropped for our benefit. Nothing major, and in the system we are currently Expanding from, a 5% drop!

However, where we have sold to push other factions up, we've seen them increase, and two wars and one election are now pending. None of these factions were in any conflicts yesterday.

As we're in the cool down from the last war now another 100m has been spread around using a similar pattern to see if we now do go up, or not.

Top Bottom