A Guide to Minor Factions and the Background Sim

Did you try in any systems without either high traffic or high population? The closest I can see in your data is system E, but that may just be increasing due to actions by the other traffic.

No because i wanted to spread the exploration data i collected on the system with the minor faction i working for and i know how much impact selling it usually had in my systems. I did this test in low population systems with nearly no traffic a long time ago to test out the BGS. Now that i am back to ED since a long time pushing system with exploration data isnt working like it worked before i quit ED and i know that there are many other factors involved like other players/player groups messing around in my/our system etc, and so fort.
We got a new patch yesterday/today and a squadron mate sold his exp data to some of our systems again, lets wait for the tick maybe they fixed something.

Last edited:
And how are you guys pushing your systems nowadays, missions, trading, bounty hunting ?
Simple. We are not.
Influence control is so random, its not worth our time.
Win any conflicts that arise with as minimal effort as possible is all that we do.

Tested Smuggling after yesterdays update, it gave +Inf to the stations faction (no they are not anarchy).

Does FD know about this or is there a bug report somewhere ?

Allow me to quote from the recent patch notes:

Balancing changes to the way that states automatically impact influence, economy, and security (balancing is ongoing)

you now have as much info as the rest of us on what FD are doing about it.

The really frustrating thing is the inconsistency. its not broken everywhere according to public reports. some days things work, other days they dont. We dont know exactly what is a 3.3 mechanism and what is a bug

Last edited:
Allow me to quote from the recent patch notes:

you now have as much info as the rest of us on what FD are doing about it.

The really frustrating thing is the inconsistency. its not broken everywhere according to public reports. some days things work, other days they dont. We dont know exactly what is a 3.3 mechanism and what is a bug

Probably the new Gold Rush system also pulls one's weight to the inconsistency influence changes. Tons of players selling high valuable minerals at enemy minor faction stations unknowningly pushing their influence and messing up the whole systems stats.

Does anyone know if the missions you take now increase a faction's influence regardless of the faction's current state? For example, prior to the December patch, non-combat missions had no impact on a faction's standing while said faction was engaged in war. In order to increase a faction during wartime, you had to turn in combat bonds or bounties. Can we now pull anything from the mission board at any time and expect an increase at the next tic?

Does anyone know if the missions you take now increase a faction's influence regardless of the faction's current state? For example, prior to the December patch, non-combat missions had no impact on a faction's standing while said faction was engaged in war. In order to increase a faction during wartime, you had to turn in combat bonds or bounties. Can we now pull anything from the mission board at any time and expect an increase at the next tic?

From what I read on the BGS sub-forum (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/forumdisplay.php/240-Background-Simulation) a faction at war in a system will only change influence after the war completes. Victory is determined by who wins the most days. Winning days takes ... I don't think I"m going to put my foot in my mouth here today.

During Conflict, you cannot purposefully change Influence AT ALL.
Now, all you can do is "win" each day. At the end of the week, the one with the most wins get +4%. Loser get -4%
In Election : Missions (maybe non-combat missions) help win the day
In War : Bonds and Bounties and CZ Battles count. Dav says Aggressive Combat based Missions count, but FD have always said that, and it was a lie. Dav never lies..... Error ! Paradox Detected ! Reboot Initiated !

No comment on Trade, Smuggling or Data in Elections, too much is still borked.

Last edited:
Just wondering, is anyone seeing "little gains for Exploration" while the same faction is in a conflict in another system?

One of our pilots returned from a run to Sag A yesterday and started to sell the data around our systems, at our stations where we wanted to lift our standing, but also at other factions stations where we want to take the stations off them.

We were at War in one system, and that was ignored, bar the fighting.

All data was sold one system at a time, amounting to around 6m per system. About 80m credits in total.

We saw minimal increases in the systems we dropped for our benefit. Nothing major, and in the system we are currently Expanding from, a 5% drop!

However, where we have sold to push other factions up, we've seen them increase, and two wars and one election are now pending. None of these factions were in any conflicts yesterday.

As we're in the cool down from the last war now another 100m has been spread around using a similar pattern to see if we now do go up, or not.
From what I understand is A.) exploration data benefits the faction who owns the station, so if your faction does not, that would explain influence dropping; B.) I heard that FDev patched exploration data sometime recently so that we don't have to sell one system at a time; instead, selling a page at a time automatically calculates separate transactions per system (can someone verify this?)

And how are you guys pushing your systems nowadays, missions, trading, bounty hunting ?
The only sure way I have experienced is running faction missions and choosing INF as a payout. That option seems to be the only consistent way to elevate INF, as others seem to have unpredictable results. My faction have never lost INF by running missions, only gained.

During the [Civil] War state, those engaged are on lockdown and their INF will not change at all. Turning in bonds are how you ensure victory but cannot elevate INf during a lockdown. Other factions, however, can elevate their INF. The BGS doesn't store INF to dish out after the cooldown, so running missions from the board whilst your faction is at war is a waste of time, from an INF prespective.

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Prior to the last patch I felt I had a good grasp of what moves to make to push my faction. Feels like I'm back to square one these days, re-learning the entire system.

Thanks for the feedback, gents. Prior to the last patch I felt I had a good grasp of what moves to make to push my faction. Feels like I'm back to square one these days, re-learning the entire system.
You're not alone there. Even those who were wizards at this stuff are having to relearn everything. The person I normally go to for BGS advice now responds more with a shrug than an answer because he's at a complete loss with the 3.3 version. FDev made some sweeping changes and not all are working as intended. It's understandable, though, because the BGS would have to be set loose in the wild before they could truly understand the problems. There's just no way to test something so big in a test environment with a handful of staff members. The good news is that they're aware of the issues and are scrambling to repair what is broken. Hopefully, we'll receive some updates soon and get a handle on things.

You're not alone there. Even those who were wizards at this stuff are having to relearn everything. The person I normally go to for BGS advice now responds more with a shrug than an answer because he's at a complete loss with the 3.3 version. FDev made some sweeping changes and not all are working as intended. It's understandable, though, because the BGS would have to be set loose in the wild before they could truly understand the problems. There's just no way to test something so big in a test environment with a handful of staff members. The good news is that they're aware of the issues and are scrambling to repair what is broken. Hopefully, we'll receive some updates soon and get a handle on things.

Automation? Simulation? Maybe. Maybe not. /s

Now completing cz actually does decrease rep with the enemy.
No exact figures, but I just did 4 hcz and a massacre mission, and it took away about half my Allied bar.

I'd expect a massacre mission to take half the Allied bar on its own, though.

Sorry if I was not clear, that was a cz massacre, so only the mission counts. I would expect a civilian massacre to be a lot more.

Ckear it's not likely to be a big issue. If the enemy own all the stations, a little bh handed in at another system would easily shore up any major grinding

Last edited:
Top Bottom