Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Ain't twisting nothing, friend. We're talking about an issue that affects wide swaths of the game and you decide to nitpick.

Shameful.

chuckles

Pointing out inaccuracies in what people assert to be fact, isn't shameful. Surely if anyone should be accused of a shameful act then it is the person who claimed it affected everyone. No?

Guess not, as you were then.

I'm not bothered by SDC either (actually i'm a big fan of their pvp videos) and i'm not directly affected by cheaters since i play on xbox, but still i find the cheating very disturbing.

However, i cannot stop noticing that since SDC started this campaign, the number of cheats downloaded jumped from 300 to 1500
So it took like 9 months for 300 downloads and in last month another 1200 downloaded the cheat.
The so called anti-cheat battle the SDC started with FDev had the actual effect of widely promoting the cheats in Elite. yey! \o/

I'm not the adept of swiping the dirt under the carpet, but one does not set a club full of people on fire just to make the owners of the said club aware of their issues with the emergency evacuation plan.

Ozric

Volunteer Moderator
Cheaters can destroy our game, should their numbers grow out of hand, if the Developers cannot detect the code they use effectively, as the game's credibility could be so damaged that the plug is pulled on BGS/PP/Exploration due to an inability to assess if any achievement was gained 'legally'.

Cheaters, exploiters, there should be no sympathy in my book in an online multiplayer game. Whether it's using trainers, or people who used the g5 engineer exploit, they should all be banned in my book and not just shadowbanned.

I'm not bothered by SDC either (actually i'm a big fan of their pvp videos) and i'm not directly affected by cheaters since i play on xbox, but still i find the cheating very disturbing.

However, i cannot stop noticing that since SDC started this campaign, the number of cheats downloaded jumped from 300 to 1500
So it took like 9 months for 300 downloads and in last month another 1200 downloaded the cheat.
The so called anti-cheat battle the SDC started with FDev had the actual effect of widely promoting the cheats in Elite. yey! \o/

I'm not the adept of swiping the dirt under the carpet, but one does not set a club full of people on fire just to make the owners of the said club aware of their issues with the emergency evacuation plan.

Welcome to Elite :sneaky:

Would that work? In normal space you can get to several 1000s if the world has hi gravity and you glide the gravity well. I got to over 8k and I was relatuvely slow (although that was in a Cobra, and they are pretty neat) https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/speed-bowl-championships-announcement.422681/page-8
Not entirely sure how the mods work but I was thinking along the lines that when you're looking at your ship stats in the side panel or outfitting it tells you what your jump range, maximum speed, boost speed, shield / hull strength etc is and this is a static number until you say decrease or increase weight or modify components. So my question is, do the cheat mods actually alter these values, if so they could easily be acted upon, if not, I'll shut up and be quiet for now.

chuckles

Pointing out inaccuracies in what people assert to be fact, isn't shameful. Surely if anyone should be accused of a shameful act then it is the person who claimed it affected everyone. No?

Congratulations, you identified the exception to the rule that I suspect lots of people already know.

Here's some questions, and a chance to prove you're not just trying to score points, do you ever leave Shinrarta? Do you engage in any mission running out of Shinrarta, any work or activity with other factions or people? Do you have any friends that do?

If so, then I suspect cheating does actually affect you. Whether or not you care is another issue, but if you don't, why post here at all?

How many times do they have to explain it? They felt the issue wasn't properly being addressed and then took what they felt was an appropriate step to deal with the issue.

Frankly, I'm glad they did it and I hope FDev sees the passion of the folks defending that act here.

The only people responsible for downloading the cheat are the people that downloaded it. In fact, as we've seen in this thread, some did it just out of innocent curiosity. Hardly something to lay at someone's feet to disparage them.

Why is this so hard to understand?

The only people responsible for downloading the cheat are the people that downloaded it.

You will not get away with that if you manage to convince someone to buy a gun and comit a crime.

Edit: anyway, what i'm trying to say is the issue could had been handled differently. shrugs

indeed it didnt happened, yet due to their advertising skills - there are 1200 more cheaters in Elite than there were 1.5 months ago

or did it happened?

I'm no programmer, although have done some DBA in past roles, so was thinking, could FD not create field triggers that flag up suspicious value fluctuations for things like shield strengths, weapon stats, mass lock factor and the like that would flag up anything that simply isn't possible within the laws of legit game-play? Then create a database report highlighting accounts where triggers have been identified that they could review on a weekly basis. Or even set field value limiters so that stats cannot be altered beyond their ceiling limit so the hacks simply would not work as the entry rules would be broken? Surely this couldn't be that hard to implement?
It's not hard, but it could become demanding on hardware and/or network traffic depending on implementation, and also depending on how it's done it might be just as easy to hack.

Put it this way, anything that's on your computer could potentially be hacked, modified, changed to help you cheat. If you have a governor program on your computer to check another program, why would it be any different to hack that software just as much as hacking the main game executable?

The best way would be to put that governor program on a server or on other players computer. But then, the issue could be network traffic. (And it wouldn't surprise me if there were ways of cheating such a system as well)

Another way would be to make that governor program not run all the time, but only on specific players when they're reported. Reported person gets a tag and spied upon, and then they can confirm what you're saying if the parameters are within reason.

ryan_m

Banned
You will not get away with that if you manage to convince someone to buy a gun and comit a crime.

Edit: anyway, what i'm trying to say is the issue could had been handled differently. shrugs

How, specifically, could it have been handled differently in your eyes?

1- the server can crosscheck files and code in memory in a client when he tries to start the game, or when he docks at a station. That wouldn't put too much pressure on the servers.
And how would that be done? The server can't just "check" files remotely on someone else's machine, the machine itself has to send information to the server. In other words, the "send files and code in memory" program has to run on the client... and that program can also be hacked to send the right data, while you have the wrong code on the computer. That's been done in the past in other programs.

2- other players in the same instance could use their own client check ship's data of another. The premise is simple here: get the various attributes of the ship, as well as a list of modules and modifications, and do the math. If the ship has damage, shields or whatever different from what it should, then it's a cheater.
This method can be run passively during combat, or before the instance starts, when the connection is being established between peers.
Note: this method cannot detect cheats like infinite distributor energy, infinite shields, or perma-boost,unless the peers are constantly doing the math of others to cross-check each and every action.
This method is that one I believe most in, because the cheater can't change your computers check program and the data the cheater sends must be the actual actions and activity at that moment, but there are some issues with this as well. Still, it's the only one I think can't be easily hacked.

---

edit

Another method I mentioned before is to constantly change the location of data and procedures in the game. Each week a patch, moving the pertinent code the hackers need to change. That way it'll eventually get too much work to constantly keep up making the "trainers" and cheaters will constantly have to wait for the next hack version. Make them constantly run behind.

Last edited:
How, specifically, could it have been handled differently in your eyes?

Not by setting the club on fire

Apparently you started on the right path - pointing FDev to the cheats and reporting the suspected cheaters.
Then something changed and you decided to pull this stunt.
Which stunt, for the moment, is having the predictable effect of vastly increasing the number of cheaters.

What could happen is either FDev invests some (a lot) of money trying to fix it - or they will ignore it and let it fade away.
After all, it is a dangerous galaxy full of pirates, scoundrels, gankers and not at last... cheaters. And everyone has to blaze their own trail

chuckles

I'm sure BGS is still active within Shirarta, the only difference is that the main faction cannot be overthrown so yes, the BGS still affects you there.

indeed it didnt happened, yet due to their advertising skills - there are 1200 more cheaters in Elite than there were 1.5 months ago

or did it happened?

I've no issue with the facts.

I have an issue with laying responsibility at the feet of those who seek to make the game better for all of us and comparing it to crime involving a firearm or burning down a club.

The last point, quite frankly, sickens me quite a bit. Surely there are more reasonable metaphors to use, or are our brains and use of language that stupid?

After all, it is a dangerous galaxy full of pirates, scoundrels, gankers and not at last... cheaters. And everyone has to blaze their own trail

Congratulations! You've expressed the single most deplorable attitude in this thread yet. No. Just, no.

But still you are affected, if only due to your favorite Interstellar Factors having vanished after the latest BGS shenanigans for example.
You may not give a damn, but you ARE affected by it.

No seriously, I log in play the game for a couple of hours. log out and do other stuff, it has zero affect on me

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom