Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.

Yaffle

Volunteer Moderator
To be clear:

Please stay on topic. Discussing moderation is not staying on topic.

If you have an issue with moderation:

Appealing A Moderation Action

To appeal a moderation action against you, email community@frontier.co.uk. Harassment and threat emails sent to us will be ignored.

Posting about it on the forums as a thread or reply to a thread is not a valid method to initiate an investigation on whether or not the moderation action performed was correct.

Stay on topic, don't snipe, don't contest moderation.

I want to say something on topic please:

To the people who don't understand why cheating and the possiblity to do so is affecting them and all of us.

The biggest problem of cheats in a Multiplayer Online game is not, that you have an encounter with a cheater or not. The biggest problem is on the longer run: cheats are the worst and last thing a multiplayer online game should be connected with, because it will drive away not only existing players but also new players and potential buyers of the game. And this, on a medium time scale (1-2 years) is the death of any online game.

Still, you may think, medium time scale I am off anyways, but I don't believe you. Most of us love this game, having breaks, having some kind of grind fatigue, but come back, play more or less again, and so on. Nobody of us wants this game to die because of cheats!
(speaking in generality for ALL of us :) )

This isn't so much true for combat logging or for the 1/5? (how is it called?) issue. It is mainly true for god mode cheats and bots.

Thats why the current situation is so harmfull to us and thats why Fdev should be a little bit more active in visible reactions.

Err, this is what advertising means:"the action of calling something to the attention of the public".

This is quite literally what the stated objective was. Think of it what you will but let's not redefine words. :p

I was defining "advertising" along the lines of calling attention to something for the purpose of advocating or selling it. Perhaps I'm splitting hairs, but I'd call what SDC is doing "raising awareness".

Last edited:
Right, back on topic and let's stay there please.
If information that would help resolve conflicts in the topic are indeed being moderated, then moderation is very much of the essence. For example, which sources of information are allowed in court, which hopefully is a search for "truth" as we do here, is extremely important. There are times, my dear Sir TJ, when one simply says "etiquette and politesse be damned" in order to promote the far more valuable traits of honesty and transparency. Otherwise, moderation seems to only to be a player driven service reminiscent of a Community Management department bureaucracy.

This world is achieving miracles in technological innovation. Let's attempt to do the same with "spiritual values."

o7

Ha! Multiplayer game that has no cheat detection! Now I get it why they changed exploration and BGS. Kinda dark to focus on happy stuff and ignore there's no cheat detection.

Cheaters are in every game and will always be there. It's just part of the environment.

1. Ban them all? Useless because they just buy another account and continue cheating which is another revenue stream for FD (even if small there is no downside for FD). No reason to make cheating too difficult since FD make money no matter what and can appear to be taking a strong stance against it.

2. Strong, effective Anti cheats? Never gonna happen because point 1.

Cheating really has minimal impact in Elite Dangerous because of the type of game it is and how dispersed all the players are. There are no competitive leagues with prize money on the line, so no real motivation to keep cheating out.

I've never encountered a cheater in this game in over 3000 hours of playing over 5 years. That is not a problem in my eyes.

By comparison, in PUBG, One in 3 matches I play has a cheater. I get killed regularly by players on the other side of the map that are just standing there firing in all directions. PUBG have banned 13 million confirmed cheaters since mid 2017. And the cheating is still just as rampant. PUBG devs say thay hate cheating, but really, how can they? That is an additional 13 million potential sales of PUBG because cheaters always buy another account. Why do you think game companies have massive discount sales? That is known as a cheater-restock sale. Even if I'm incorrect about the motivations of game companies (and i'm not), the bigger point is, PUBG have banned more accounts in 2 years than have ever played Elite Dangerous and it hasn't helped them at all.

And that pretty much ends the anti-cheat discussion. Get used to cheaters. They have been here since humans have existed and are here to stay.

Cheaters are in every game and will always be there. It's just part of the environment.

1. Ban them all? Useless because they just buy another account and continue cheating which is another revenue stream for FD (even if small there is no downside for FD). No reason to make cheating too difficult since FD make money no matter what and can appear to be taking a strong stance against it.

Cheating really has minimal impact in Elite Dangerous because of the type of game it is and how dispersed all the players are. There are no competitive leagues with prize money on the line, so no real motivation to keep cheating out.

I've never encountered a cheater in this game in over 3000 hours of playing over 5 years. That is not a problem in my eyes.

By comparison, in PUBG, One in 3 matches I play has a cheater. I get killed regularly by players on the other side of the map that are just standing there firing in all directions. PUBG have banned 13 million confirmed cheaters since mid 2017. And the cheating is still just as rampant. PUBG devs say thay hate cheating, but really, how can they? That is an additional 13 million potential sales of PUBG because cheaters always buy another account. Why do you think game companies have massive discount sales? That is known as a cheater-restock sale. Even if I'm incorrect about the motivations of game companies (and i'm not), the bigger point is, PUBG have banned more accounts in 2 years than have ever played Elite Dangerous and it hasn't helped them at all.

And that pretty much ends the anti-cheat discussion. Get used to cheaters. They have been here since humans have existed and are here to stay.
Pubg is not Elite Dangerous. It is a Battle Royale with no long term PP BGS mechanics. It is not p2p. If you feel that the player base is going to play a Battle Royale game in the absence of anti cheat, there are examples of games in that genre that die without anticheat efforts.

Is cheating a problem? Certainly and it should not be encouraged.
Is it as rampant and out of control as some of the more vocal forumites insist? Not as far as I can tell. There are others who state the same thing. Yes its happening but not as much as the current hysteria implies.

What is (imo) the worst thing is that no matter what FDev do it seems that this group will not believe or be happy with.
There are accounts of people being banned so we know (at at least some level) FDev do catch cheats and do ban/punish those cheats.
Could the do more? Perhaps, are they likely to do enough to make this group happy? I highly doubt it.

Denethor? Is that you?

Is cheating a problem? Certainly and it should not be encouraged.
Is it as rampant and out of control as some of the more vocal forumites insist? Not as far as I can tell. There are others who state the same thing. Yes its happening but not as much as the current hysteria implies.

What is (imo) the worst thing is that no matter what FDev do it seems that this group will not believe or be happy with.
There are accounts of people being banned so we know (at at least some level) FDev do catch cheats and do ban/punish those cheats.
Could the do more? Perhaps, are they likely to do enough to make this group happy? I highly doubt it.

in other words, you don't give a flying fig. cool. why post?
or maybe you don't even understand the issue. maybe ask?
but you nevertheless feel happy to inform the world that frontier is dealing splendidly with the defects of their own game, whatever it is they're doing and whichever they are. because you know.
and of course 'the worst thing' are us, the players debating this, who don't know.
because, of course, the obscure agenda of this 'group' is just bashing frontier. with 'hysteria'.

cool story.
and a wild place to be, your head ... 'at least at some level'.

in other words, you don't give a flying fig. cool. why post?
or maybe you don't even understand the issue. maybe ask?
but you nevertheless feel happy to inform the world that frontier is dealing splendidly with the defects of their own game, whatever it is they're doing and whichever they are. because you know.
and of course 'the worst thing' are us, the players debating this, who don't know.
because, of course, the obscure agenda of this 'group' is just bashing frontier. with 'hysteria'.

cool story.
and a wild place to be, your head ... 'at least at some level'.
Wow why the vitrol bro U mad?

Sorry but you are wrong I do care or I would not post you have a reading comprehension problem.
I never stated they are doing splendidly again your reading comprehension is way off. I stated they are doing something, they could do more (probably) but many people will never be happy with what they do.
I never called the players the worst thing you must be projecting?
The worst thing is no matter what FDev do some of the most vocal forumites ( that my friend is not everyone but you know that I would hope) will never be happy.
If this whole thing is not hysteria you must live in an very interesting place indeed.

The worst thing is no matter what FDev do some of the most vocal forumites ( that my friend is not everyone but you know that I would hope) will never be happy.

the worst thing is a developer loosing the trust of his customer base. it has already started and the clock is ticking.
your trust being blind doesn't mean other's is.

you may believe your own tale but the reality is that frontier is far, very far, from giving an appropiate response. even venerable white knights are agreeing with that. the "doomed if i do, doomed if i don't" meme doesn't really help. please read: the friggen trainer is still working after almost a year while frontier still keeps repeating they are seriously commited with a straight face.

what are you even trying to say? it's just baffling you say yo do care about the game, and still need to deride people complaining about a well known cheat tool that is still working after almost a year. and you either didn't care enough to actually read about it, or somehow think that 'yeah, they banned people so they're doing something' which is as laughable as an excuse as an expression of how much you care.

If I recall correctly the trainer in its previous form was broken when the switch to 64bit was made, since then it has become active again (for about 6 months by the posts in that groups site) and since it was re introduced users of that site have stated they are getting bans and parts of the trainer are no longer working others are being fixed. Thats all on their site or so I am told. So almost a year is a stretch by any standard.
There is no doubt there are cheaters in the game, thats bad no question. All the hype (i will avoid hysteria since that seems to trigger you) around this post (of course forum readers are a minority of the playerbase) would indicate every time you log in you are encountering cheaters (kind of like the posts about player killers) and that is not something I believe is happening. You are free to have your opinion on the matter as much as I am though.

I am not deriding people who are complaining, what I am (complaining my self) taking an issue with is the attempt to make it seem so rampant that the game is doomed and that FDev are worthless and all the other stated and implied comments that are being proffered forth.

Yes cheating is a problem (never even hinted it wasnt a problem) its bad mkay?
I have no issue with people being upset and complaining about it.
What I have a problem with (and this may just be me) is people exaggerating how prevalent and how bad FDev are about it.

There is no personal attack from me here, so why do you feel the need to attack me?
I care a great deal about the game for reasons you cant possibly understand (because you are not me). I do know how cheaters can affect the entire game dont even imply that I dont.

FDev have stated (perhaps its just a boiler plate but it is still a statement) they care and are doing something about it , and there are bans reported by various outlets that support their statement. Its ok if thats not to your standard but to imply they are doing nothing is deceitful and just as bad as cheating, and can have as detrimental an effect as the cheats.

Because PvPers generally don't use the forums because of biased modding and the toxicity of the community. Harry runs into more hackers than anyone else in this game specifically because of his visibility, and that scenario, while legit, lends itself to some skepticism. It was a PvPer on a fresh alt account that dunked on him which is always suspect.

I could post 20+ videos of my friends and I encountering obvious cheaters but that is against forum rules so I'll get moderated for it.
Don't get me wrong I despise cheating and hacking in MP games and would love FD to have a zero tolerance policy on those caught...
I have never clogged against a player (clogged a couple of times due to crashes) but I would menulog as soon as I saw him in my instance because we have already seen a player happy to cheat. For all I know he could still be doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom