Notice A statement on cheating in Elite Dangerous.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Just to inform the devs: Don't know if the commader cheated but he was able to immediatly destroy my slfs. This could very well be because of good aim, but he also missed my CUTTER sometimes with his long range rails, so... Also very suspicious shield values in a krait phantom, if I compare it to my fight before against a vette. (due to long range engagement both easy to hit). I did not accuse or report the commander of cheating, cause I'm new in open and very aware, that there are better commanders and loadouts out there, but this was strange

Just to inform the devs: Don't know if the commader cheated but he was able to immediatly destroy my slfs. This could very well be because of good aim, but he also missed my CUTTER sometimes with his long range rails, so... Also very suspicious shield values in a krait phantom, if I compare it to my fight before against a vette. (due to long range engagement both easy to hit). I did not accuse or report the commander of cheating, cause I'm new in open and very aware, that there are better commanders and loadouts out there, but this was strange

not here.
report directly to FD using ingame tools or the support site

SLFs tend to insta-pop when hit by some rails. And reverski Phantoms rely on high shields and the range falloff. Did you record?

SLFs tend to insta-pop when hit by some rails. And reverski Phantoms rely on high shields and the range falloff. Did you record?

Did not record. Sure, slfs will pop and I give the commander credit for good aiming, but the strange thing was that he missed me in my cutter sometimes with long range rails. I used fixed long range beams and was (nearly :) ) constantly able to hit him. I know rails have more dps (and dpe?) but I also know, that cutters have a lot more shield than a krait, so I just want to test it out and flee when my shields go down to much (no pvp loadout, so no SCBs, but good overall shield). Strange thing was, that his shields did go down slower than mine by a noticeble amount. But said all that, he also may have popped SCBs when out of reach and I was not aware because of the distance. But normally you can see it clearly...

I did not accuse or report the commander of cheating, cause I'm new in open and very aware, that there are better commanders and loadouts out there, but this was strange

if you take pvp seriously here there are many disappointments waiting for you. tl;dr: don't.

long answer:
while this doesn't sound like cheating, a determined cheater would alter values just enough to not get noticed, and would probably get away with it most of the time.

if it isn't cheating, network performance will eventually bring you many surprises too, from enemies just vanishing to zig zagging all over the place, spiced up with sudden spikes of damage out of nowhere or shields that seem immune for a while. this is all normal, and flimsy enough for someone randomly buying himself 20% extra damage or shield to really make that much of a difference in the big picture. just go fight someone else. cheating isn't that much an issue because the platform isn't up to par anyway, in general people don't seem too worried about it and frontier doesn't care much either.

if you take pvp seriously here there are many disappointments waiting for you. tl;dr: don't.

long answer:
while this doesn't sound like cheating, a determined cheater would alter values just enough to not get noticed, and would probably get away with it most of the time.

if it isn't cheating, network performance will eventually bring you many surprises too, from enemies just vanishing to zig zagging all over the place, spiced up with sudden spikes of damage out of nowhere or shields that seem immune for a while. this is all normal, and flimsy enough for someone randomly buying himself 20% extra damage or shield to really make that much of a difference in the big picture. just go fight someone else. cheating isn't that much an issue because the platform isn't up to par anyway, in general people don't seem too worried about it and frontier doesn't care much either.

Hmm, sounds worse than I tought. It was a great experiance when I got ganked the first time by a commanders vette. Sad, but I tend to stay in open...and will not take it too serious :)

It's all about what you are seeking to experience. If you like to be ganked, to have guys go after you seeking uneven fights with easy prey like newbies and (near) defence-less vessels, and who apparently wait all day long at popular spots like engineers or Jameson's just to do that, you have come to the absolutely right place - that is Open for you in a nutshell.

Solo or private groups give you a fun experience if you don't wish to focus your game-play mainly on PvP or click on the rebuy-screen repeatedly for no good reason.

*pulling this old thread out....

I actually have a question and I can't find any information for this.......

I have some disabilitys that cause me to be extremely distracted and even confused regularly, especially when I have to do multiple tasks. That's the reason, why I never tried to engage Thargoid interceptors until a few weeks ago. But now I tried and was able to take out Cyclopses without too much issues.... Basilisks are much harder and I often just forget to repair the ship, modules, deploy heat sinks or even fire my weapons. Steering in FA off and trying to maintain an orbit while aiming for the thargoid is really enough for my brain. However with some medication I was even able to take out a medusa.... So yeah, some skills are there, but to get over the problems that I have, I need some help from outside.

So I set up VoiceAttack, that I usually use when I play in VR, that it takes some of the load away - when activated it basically fires the weapons and deploys heat sinks. Activating/deactivating this, flying and aiming is still my task and for a Cyclops it worked out pretty well - finally no overload. But after this it came to me, that this might be considered cheating, since I use a 3rd party program that allows me to constantly fire heat sinks and weapons at the right time.

I know that VoiceAttack is commonly used in ED for voice commands for the ship. But how about the timed auto clicking function when used this way under such circumstances?

Using this in PvP would definitely be very unfair, but even when I kill off some thargoids in "Single player" I affect everyone with that. =/

i really would not worry.... there is no way on earth FD are going to punish you for using voice attack, a program that actively promote by selling voice packs which need to hook into it, and with the exact kind of commands you are using.

voice attack is essentially officially supported software for elite.

PS you have been more successful than i have ever been with thargoids ......

Okay, I didn't know that.... So there are voice packs from FD that have an auto fire setup integrated?

I now play ED for over 6 years and I always thought, I'd never be good enough to kill some interceptors.... >.<

Okay, I didn't know that.... So there are voice packs from FD that have an auto fire setup integrated?

I now play ED for over 6 years and I always thought, I'd never be good enough to kill some interceptors.... >.<
I must admit I have never tried telling my ship to open fire. but either way how are FD going to be able to reliably tell? even if they did care, and I don't believe they dobut I often say power to shields, power to weapons, power to engines and next weapon group.

it also uses timed key combos for commands such like target power plant or request docking.

Last edited:

They are not produced by F D but they are approved by them, in fact some of the COVAS stuff uses the same voice talent and has the same name. The voicepacks are produced by HCSVoicePacks ( https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/ ) - I have several and they work together as a crew, it is quite engaging but I doubt I would rely on voice commands in combat.

They have a youtube channel too:

They are not produced by F D but they are approved by them, in fact some of the COVAS stuff uses the same voice talent and has the same name. The voicepacks are produced by HCSVoicePacks ( https://www.hcsvoicepacks.com/ ) - I have several and they work together as a crew, it is quite engaging but I doubt I would rely on voice commands in combat.

They have a youtube channel too:

I must admit I do rely on mine a bit too much. mostly for shield cell and chaff. every now and then VA.throws a wobbly and you can bet your bottom dollar I will have forgotten my keybinds (and am in VR so work on touch) and usually end up pressing silent running by mistake!

Okay, but this means that VoiceAttack is generally also approved.... And it just offers the feature of programmed keyboard/mouse inputs.
I've heard of such voice packs, but I was'nt that interested.... At first I'd prefer using my native language (german) and second, I usually program this stuff by myself so that I know what I'm doing.... I tend to forget the commands if they're not made by me or absolutely logical to me.

But it's quite easy to find out if there's a bot or script giving the inputs, instead of a human. You just have to measure the time between inputs.....
e.g. someone who is in a fight with an interceptor will periodically deploy a heat sink - one lasts for 10 seconds, so this key will be pressed about every 10 seconds. sometimes 9, sometimes 9.5 ... And sometimes the person misses and it's 11 seconds.
A program like VoiceAttack has always the exact same time between inputs - in my case it hits space every 9.8 seconds and holds the key down for exactly 0.1 seconds.
The key for primary weapons is held down for exactly 1.25 seconds and after that comes a pause of 0.8 seconds for the weapon to reload. And then it repeats. There is really no variation at all and every automatic program that watches out for bots knows exactly that there is a computer giving those inputs.
And that's my concern - I know that people got banned for using an auto clicker, because it was considered cheating... But VA basically offers the same functionality... Using VA seems not to be the problem, but does this also mean using all of it's functions? Would be nice to have a clear statement to this....

And that's my concern - I know that people got banned for using an auto clicker, because it was considered cheating...

FD is not actively policing ED for cheats
And certainly not for automation* and absolutely not when the said automation is used to counter some disability

*Not unless someone reports you for using automation to gain an unfair advantage.

Don't use third party programs to increase the stats of your ship, and you'll likely be fine.

Not condoning it, but if you absolutely must do that sort of thing, don't do it in front of people, because there's a good chance they're gonna know when your Anaconda is going 800 m/s.

Historically, Fdev has been terrible about detecting any of that, with people only being banned for things after a mass of reports and recordings as evidence. Forget who it was, but some fellow blatantly cheated for the sake of making a point, by parking his indestructable ship in the mail slot at Jameson Memorial. I believe he was still banned, but the point was made.

Historically, Fdev has been terrible about detecting any of that, with people only being banned for things after a mass of reports and recordings as evidence. Forget who it was, but some fellow blatantly cheated for the sake of making a point, by parking his indestructable ship in the mail slot at Jameson Memorial. I believe he was still banned, but the point was made.

That happens when you offer pvp in a basically free game with no anticheat mechanisms and no CSR active in game 24/7
The episode you mention happened in a Saturday evening and lasted more than 2 hours.

TBH i'm surprised the cheating is not more prevalent in this game (and the game still has pvp)

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom