Add a High Value Commodity Only Tradable In Open

I wasn't asuming only new players joining, I wa asuming as well that some of the current player would be interested in a PVP system wich is rewarding and linked to the galaxy.

I'm not talking about making PVP the core of the game, just one aspect of it. Perhaps some of my suggestions are radical, but is only to ilustrate that there are many ways to confront the issue.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
I wasn't asuming only new players joining, I wa asuming as well that some of the current player would be interested in a PVP system wich is rewarding and linked to the galaxy.
Some might be interested - however for others it would likely not go anywhere near far enough (for them).
I'm not talking about making PVP the core of the game, just one aspect of it. Perhaps some of my suggestions are radical, but is only to ilustrate that there are many ways to confront the issue.
Many ways have been suggested over the years - I've suggested one myself: the introduction of a permit locked chunk of the galaxy (one per platform) only accessible, in or out, in Open - where only players in Open would affect the BGS, Powerplay, CGs, etc. - no need to change the game for everyone else, just lock off several thousand systems to create each zone.

Last edited:
Powerplay was an ideal system for that, when I saw it I though it was the equivalent of "Factional Warfare" in other games. Consensual PVP between players that affect the powers in the system and that's way it was outside of BGS so it didn't mess with previous gameplay.

It turns out it's only another grindy system to get some shinies.

Craith

Volunteer Moderator
This commodity already exists, it is called salt I think. (Although some people seem to be able to mine it in solo mode, probably exploiting)

I really don't think it's unreasonable to have one reason, just one reason to ever risk valuable cargo by playing in open. Just a single reason to ever actually fit a shield or some armor on your trade ship. I really don't understand why so many people are so adverse to the idea. It's not like it would take anything away from the game, and it probably wouldn't take very much effort to implement either, it wouldn't require any actual assets to be added to the game. Anyone who doesn't like the idea of can just play in solo and do what they've always done.

I really don't think it's unreasonable to have one reason, just one reason to ever risk valuable cargo by playing in open.
There's always a good reason. The thrill. If that's not enough for people, maybe they don't really want to play in Open.

In addition to the points already raised:

...Who plays for money anyhow?

Noobs do. I did, when I was a noob. When I could afford the ships I wanted and had enough spare cash, I stopped seeking credits. I've even now abandoned LTD mining (I have 7 billion, that's enough).

So in this scenario, experienced players would be blowing up (mostly) noobs, still trying to get the cash to afford the ships and equipment they want.

I don't think that should be encouraged.

I am a noob and I don't have 7 billions (yet) but I am not far from it. LTD farms is just ridiculous.

This game is so focused in trying to balance time spend vs credits earn that is forgetting about other variable: Risk.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

Elite Dangerous is not dangerous at all. Just saying.

If you force player interaction the content will come for itself.

If player interaction is forced, many players will simply quit the game entirely.

I recognize this isn't precisely the topic of this discussion, just a reply to that one statement.

Let's say "encourage" instead of "force".

It was I meant anyway. In fact I am saying that the safe parts of the galaxy must be safer than they are today but way less profitable.

And the dangerous parts of the galaxy should be more profitable... so you can take the rist for the reward. If you want to play safe you can, you just gonna advance a bit slower.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
Let's say "encourage" instead of "force".

It was I meant anyway. In fact I am saying that the safe parts of the galaxy must be safer than they are today but way less profitable.

And the dangerous parts of the galaxy should be more profitable... so you can take the rist for the reward. If you want to play safe you can, you just gonna advance a bit slower.
The "dangerous" parts of the galaxy are available in any game mode - any additional risk due to other players remains optional.

From my point of view there is no "dangerous" parts. The only ones mentioned are a heavily habited system at peak hours (saturday) and try to face some player group related with a minor faction. That's not at all what OP is talking about and neither I am.

We want MEANINGFUL player interactions in the game.

OP propose 1 commodity only available in open more profitable than others, but that's just one idea. There are a lot of ways.

If you don't differenciate OPEN than SOLO, there is no meaning on it and I am just taking the risk for the sake of it.

Don't get me wrong, that's what I am doing and I am going to keep doing it. I'm just sad that it's that way.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
If you don't differenciate OPEN than SOLO, there is no meaning on it and I am just taking the risk for the sake of it.
Frontier choose not to differentiate between Solo (and Private Groups) and Open in terms of rewards for playing - and PvP is not required as part of any game feature (apart from CQC and that's out-of-game) - which is suggestive of the reward for engaging in PvP being the added risk and interaction of PvP itself.

You have stated previously that Frontier considered changing that rule for Powerplay. There is precedent and there is no need to state Frontier words as Law.

The risk can't be the reward. You take the risk because of the reward. That's just nonsense sorry. I'm not bungee jumping or jumping out of a plane.

Robert Maynard

Volunteer Moderator
You have stated previously that Frontier considered changing that rule for Powerplay. There is precedent and there is no need to state Frontier words as Law.
Indeed I did - however the result of Frontier's Powerplay Flash Topics is not yet known - so no precedent has been set. Then there's the fact that the Dev leading the investigation into potential changes to Powerplay stated on several occasions that the only game feature being considered for such a change was Powerplay - so even if Powerplay was made Open only or given an Open play bonus such a change would be limited to Powerplay. Then there's the reiteration of who the BGS is for (i.e. all players, on all platforms and in all game modes) that came after the Powerplay Flash Topics.
The risk can't be the reward. You take the risk because of the reward. That's just nonsense sorry. I'm not bungee jumping or jumping out of a plane.
It is what it is - and Frontier learned early that players can't be trusted not to collude to gain rewards that should be won through a contest between players.

Last edited:
Yeah, I just saw you answering first to that Flash Topic talking about precedents just like we're doing here.

I guess I'll wait and hope for the best.

I know balancing pvp rewards is always hard, but other games have been able to pull it off.

Last edited:
Top Bottom