Patch Notes Update April Update - Patch Notes

The game has a solo mode, white & blacklists to allow fine tuning of who you meet, and a truly massive map to play in even unfiltered, PvP actions have no real power other than through sensationalism.

Nevertheless the concern is legitimate and should be addressed. PvP is the Miner's Canary of Elite - it is the part that is most sensitive to change and the section most able to create youtube click-throughs and viral content.

second, good luck proving it (i mean purely any worngdoing in any ganking event, let alone intention). it might be more of a problem than you make it seem.

Considering that i find it close to impossible to prove it, i wonder how it might even be harder than that.

They would be better off keeping drag as it was, and nerfing permaboost. Permaboost needed nerfing for a lot of reasons beyond obviating drag munitions.
It'd be interesting if boosting, instead of a "tap to go fast every 5 seconds" (which can be made permanent by having a charge-enhanced distro that recharges more in 5 seconds than it costs to boost) was a "hold to increase thrust" and drained your ENG capacitor while active the same way that the shutdown field neutraliser does with SYS.
If nothing else, it'd give engine-focused distros an edge over charge-enhanced since even if their boost only charges at the same rate as CE, they'd have a bigger overall capacitor for their initial get-me-out-of-here boost.

It'd be interesting if boosting, instead of a "tap to go fast every 5 seconds" (which can be made permanent by having a charge-enhanced distro that recharges more in 5 seconds than it costs to boost) was a "hold to increase thrust" and drained your ENG capacitor while active the same way that the shutdown field neutraliser does with SYS.
If nothing else, it'd give engine-focused distros an edge over charge-enhanced since even if their boost only charges at the same rate as CE, they'd have a bigger overall capacitor for their initial get-me-out-of-here boost.

this would be very interesting, and yes, has been proposed and debated, but no luck so far.

If Fdev doesn't fix this, this will also differ in a couple of critical and dangerous ways from past "sanctioned exploits".

The PvP community successfully established norms against the use of heat cannons and heal beams. With certain notable exceptions, these norms are followed within the PvP community. The establishment of these norms was made easier by the fact that few people bothered with beams and cannons before Fdev created exploits for them. When heat cannons were finally nerfed, an entire group known primarily for exploiting them simply vanished. Healbeam use in PvP remains rare and only done by certain elements.

But frags and seekers are both very common weapons. Drag munitions in particular are already the most popular secondary for seekers and pack-hounds. That is because the effect they previously had was already quite useful. It forced CMDRs to RELY on boost to continue with fast movements, often requiring the diversion of power. It was already a useful effect (arguably the single useful effect for seekers). Many frag users also have one drag-frag already due to its effectiveness as a ToT enhancer.

But I digress. The point is that because of the already widespread adoption it will not be so easy to establish a norm against its use. People are not likely to be willing to change builds, let alone waste any materials to change engineering.

This is likely to drive many PvPers (and likely others due to frags becoming an even stronger ganking weapon) away from the game if it is left in its present state. If I did not know better I might assume that an intended effect.

Nonetheless, there are three easy ways to at least make this a little more balanced.

1. Revert this change entirely.

2. Separate the "0-Pip" effect from the new "boost block effect" and have them be two separate special effects, ideally one for frags only and one for seekers only.
Seekers only get the boost block effect which I shall call "Dampening Munition". This blocks boost for a few seconds, has a one-minute cooldown, and does negligible damage with an extremely low (or nonexistant) breach chance.

Frags keep the old "Drag Munitions" effect as it existed prior to this patch.

3. At an absolute minimum, impose a cooldown of at least thirty seconds (but ideally, a minute) on at least the boost-blocking effect.
There is an assumption being made that boost block is in addition to the drag effect. The way I read it was the drag effect is now boost block. We'll see later which is which.

Considering that i find it close to impossible to prove it, i wonder how it might even be harder than that.

ok, that's not really the gist. after all, frontier doesn't need to prove anything to ban users for breaches of the tos (which they are the prime interpreters of), those actions aren't open to public scrutiny in the first place. things would need to complicate a lot for something like that to get public or even to court or arbitration. a mass ban is the kind of action which could potentially trigger such a situation, so it's an effective but dangerous weapon, to be used with great care.

what seems silly to me is to conflate an act of protest by using existing game features exactly as they are intended and delivered by a developer with an action to damage said developer. that is just pure authoritarian mindset (those regimes don't end well). this is not about proof, even if you have written confession from every 'ganker' that still doesn't make sense :D

of course in the hypothetical case something like this actually got to court ... then anything could happen, lawyers would play their meta game.

Ah yes. PD and ECM. The two modules no one uses because one has a ridiculously high cooldown and needs at least a pair to be useful and the other can barely knock down a single seeker flying in a straight line. Fascinating.
Seems to be a few people going on about how useless PD is. My personal experience is that it is extremely effective and on combat builds I usually run 2 to give as close as possible 360 degrees of cover.

As it is, people already flee when they get down to 1 ring of shields. And it would just be a further nerf of drag munitions, which prior to this patch didn't need any kind of nerf since it was already hard countered by permaboost.

They would be better off keeping drag as it was, and nerfing permaboost. Permaboost needed nerfing for a lot of reasons beyond obviating drag munitions.
"Permaboost" isn't a real issue like you think it is. Grape made one popular video about it that has been this community's equivalent of a study saying vaccines cause autism. Its misinformed, overly popular, and has hurt the overall discourse. If you don't want to take my word for it go look at some examples of great flying and watch the ENG capacitor, Yamato posted in this thread and his youtube would be a good place to start.

Top Bottom