Arid Animal Pack, what do we think of it now?

There is no possible way to please everyone. I’m in love with this pack. It’s my dreams come true really
I would be super happy with the pack if not for the fact that this was supposed to be our desert pack and it features animals from just one continent (even if sand cat and dromedary are more widespread in Asia they are still found in Africa).

If i know we will get a more diverse desert pack in the future then sure, this pack features some of my most wanted animals (dromedary, porcupine, black rhino, addax and to some extent even the sand cat), but since we are probably not getting another desert pack i just feel like this was a missed opportunity. Like no rep for Gobbi, Australia, India, Patagonia, Sonoran, Mojave, etc.

Imagine a desert pack with things like the peccary, roadrunner, burrowing owl, perentie, yellow footed rock wallaby, patagonian mara, rhea, blackbuck as possible animal choices alongside the dromedary and porcupine.

All the animals were good picks on their own but together its kind of meh having that many ungulates at once.
I actually agree with this. Aside from the Gazelle and Viper, all of the animals in this pack were requested and are amazing alone. But together, they don’t mix well and is too ungulate heavy.

My Ideal Arid Pack:

. African Crested Porcupine
. Coyote
. Dromedary
. Somali Wild Donkey
. Secretary
. Sand Cat
. Ringtail
. Exhibit Animal: Budgie (WTE)
Mine would be:
  • Dromedary Camel
  • African Crested Porcupine
  • Black Rhino
  • Somali Wild Ass
  • Addax
  • Dama Gazelle Secretary Bird or Baboon
  • Sand Cat Serval (Personal Preference)
  • Viper Thorny Devil or literally any WTE animal

I would be super happy with the pack if not for the fact that this was supposed to be our desert pack and it features animals from just one continent (even if sand cat and dromedary are more widespread in Asia they are still found in Africa).

If i know we will get a more diverse desert pack in the future then sure, this pack features some of my most wanted animals (dromedary, porcupine, black rhino, addax and to some extent even the sand cat), but since we are probably not getting another desert pack i just feel like this was a missed opportunity. Like no rep for Gobbi, Australia, India, Patagonia, Sonoran, Mojave, etc.

Imagine a desert pack with things like the peccary, roadrunner, burrowing owl, perentie, yellow footed rock wallaby, patagonian mara, rhea, blackbuck as possible animal choices alongside the dromedary and porcupine.
I wouldn’t trade any of the species from this pack.

Peccary could as well come in the woodlands pack since it’s so widespread along SA.
At least North Africa is finally well represented right now. Most of the species you’ve mentioned are great but the ones chosen for this pack are simply exquisite for me.

Let’s hope for high sales and packs along all 2024 because looking at other games it’s definitely possible and the list of animals is infinite.

We can still expect packs lead by:

Walrus/Wolverine - Tundra
Tasmanian devil - Woodlands
Secretary bird - Birds
Coati - Latin America
Baboon/Takin - Highlands
Manatee - Aquarium

Dama gazelle is so beautiful, different and important for conservation that I would never trade it for anything else.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t trade any of the species from this pack.

Peccary could as well come in the woodlands pack since it’s so widespread along SA.
At least North Africa is finally well represented right now. Most of the species you’ve mentioned are great but the ones chosen for this pack are simply exquisite for me.

Let’s hope for high sales and packs along all 2024 because looking at other games it’s definitely possible and the list of animals is infinite.

We can still expect packs lead by:

Walrus/Wolverine - Tundra
Tasmanian devil - Woodlands
Secretary bird - Birds
Coati - Latin America
Baboon/Takin - Highlands
Manatee - Aquarium
I feel like if they continue content into all of 2024 there's gotta be a hot weather pack still. We've had a dry themed pack every year and don't think their gonna stop next year.

I'm seeing a lot of comments about the amazing quality of the Porcupine, that it might lead to the same level of quality for future packs. Not just this thread, just in general. I'm going the cautious route with it. The Porcupine is absolutely incredible and deserves every ounce of praise it's getting. And while we will still get high quality animals, I am not so sure we will get other animals that (appear to) have required so much effort into it. Almost all of the DLC animals are fantastic quality, but in terms of sheer effort I think the Porcupine is going to be a pretty special case.

I'm seeing a lot of comments about the amazing quality of the Porcupine, that it might lead to the same level of quality for future packs. Not just this thread, just in general. I'm going the cautious route with it. The Porcupine is absolutely incredible and deserves every ounce of praise it's getting. And while we will still get high quality animals, I am not so sure we will get other animals that (appear to) have required so much effort into it. Almost all of the DLC animals are fantastic quality, but in terms of sheer effort I think the Porcupine is going to be a pretty special case.
Yeah the porcupine is probably the pinnacle of effort put into a standard habitat animal. The only thing that could compete imo would be a spider monkey, depending on if and how its done.

Depends, keep in mind that the porcupine was meant to be the star of this pack, the rest were basically clones, the sand cat is unique but is still a shrunken down version of the cat rig. I think the reason they put so much more effort into it was because it was requested so much, they knew it had to be perfection. For future packs, it depends how many animals in the top most requested are in a single pack, and if those animals need new animations or not, for example the spectacled bear is heavily requested, but won’t need a new rig, yet it could still be labeled as the star of the pack. Overall I think the effort depends on how important the animal is to the community.

I love this pack. I like building rocky, arid habitats. The porcupine and dromedary were two of the most essential desert animals, and I also really wanted the addax, Somali wild Ass, and the sand cat. Are there still more desert animals that are needed? Yes! I'm still happy with these though. I don't really care that they made an Africa focused pack. It seems a little ungulate-heavy, which is the main issue. A taxon focused pack could work, but I would prefer one for a group a bit more lacking than African ungulates (i.e. "Rainforest" South America pack with a focus on monkeys or "Outback" pack with lots of marsupials).

Desert/Arid Stuff I still want:
  • Africa: Serval, Secretary Bird, Hamadryas Baboon, Spurred Tortoise, Honey Badger, Black Backed Jackal
  • Asia: Blackbuck, Saiga, Honey Badger, Arabian Oryx/Onager/Nubian Ibex
  • Oceania: Rock wallaby, Perentie/other monitor, Bilby, Possum
  • North America: Peccary, Bighorn Sheep, Bobcat, Grey Fox/Coyote/Red Wolf
  • South America: Peccary, Rhea, Mara, Guanaco
I think there are still options for these to come in other packs. I can be happy and enjoy the ones I've got and wait on the others. Hopefully support continues long enough to get them all!

I love this pack. I like building rocky, arid habitats. The porcupine and dromedary were two of the most essential desert animals, and I also really wanted the addax, Somali wild Ass, and the sand cat. Are there still more desert animals that are needed? Yes! I'm still happy with these though. I don't really care that they made an Africa focused pack. It seems a little ungulate-heavy, which is the main issue. A taxon focused pack could work, but I would prefer one for a group a bit more lacking than African ungulates (i.e. "Rainforest" South America pack with a focus on monkeys or "Outback" pack with lots of marsupials).

• Africa: Serval, Secretary Bird, Hamadryas Baboon, Spurred Tortoise, Honey Badger, Black Backed Jackal
I think there are still options for these to come in other packs. I can be happy and enjoy the ones I've got and wait on the others. Hopefully support continues long enough to get them all!
Amen

Why bighorn sheep or Nubian ibex which are basically reskins instead of the more unique Barbary sheep?

Why bighorn sheep or Nubian ibex which are basically reskins instead of the more unique Barbary sheep?
I though of the barbary sheep as more alpine, but sure. For the Nubian Ibex, I thought a Middle East ungulate would be good, with the main options: onager, Nubian ibex, or Arabian oryx. I have a slight preference for the oryx. Similarly, I thought the NA southern desert could use a canid, and while I prefer the gray fox, I don't feel too strongly about which one.

I actually want a second goat for both Europe (probably chamois) and North America (bighorn) over the Barbary sheep (which I still like). They are cool, but Africa already has so many ungulates, and I kind of want a couple of variety picks for continents with fewer options in that regard. Again, I hope we can get them all.

Last edited:
I though of the barbary sheep as more alpine, but sure. For the Nubian Ibex, I thought a Middle East ungulate would be good, with the main options: onager, Nubian ibex, or Arabian oryx. I have a slight preference for the oryx. Similarly, I thought the NA southern desert could use a canid, and while I prefer the gray fox, I don't feel too strongly about which one.

I actually want a second goat for both Europe (probably chamois) and North America (bighorn) over the Barbary sheep (which I still like). They are cool, but Africa already has so many ungulates, and I kind of want a couple of variety picks for continents with fewer options in that regard. Again, I hope we can get them all.
I absolutely love caprines, they are my favourite ungulate group so therefore I think it is a crime we only have two in the game. :p My most wanted is of course, the muskox, but I really hope for the Barbary sheep, takin, markhor, chamois, maybe even Rocky Mountain goat.

juice_box

Banned
I didn't buy this DLC. I won't pay full price for it (just personally speaking).
I think there was only one DLC so far that has been more lackluster, and it was the Arctic DLC.
As the player count declines over time, there are certain ways to get the community reenergized and interested in Planet Zoo again.

It would be really refreshing if Frontier did something different. Maybe a large expansion.
Or giving the community Aviaries and Aquariums

So many people want to buy aviary dlc or aquarium dlc.

And many people have stated that they do not want to buy Planet Zoo 2 or a Planet Aquarium at this point in time.
If you want people to be interested in your game again it isn't rocket science. Did desert animals and grassland animals rejuvenate the fanbase??? LMAO NO. HARD NO.
But aviary dlc and aquarium dlc, would be the best selling DLC's.

FACTS. I'd bet money on it. I'd bet BIG MONEY aviary dlc and aquarium dlc would be the best selling Planet Zoo DLC's.

We have money.
So Make It.
That being said. If I had to BET MONEY, I bet the next DLC (Oct 2023) will probably be a "Highlands/Mountains" dlc. And I'd love Yak, Takin, Gelada and Andean Spectacled Bears in the game. But in the big picture that dlc will not rejuvenate the fanbase. People aren't clamouring for "Mountain animals" and "mountain architecture".

Last edited:
That being said. If I had to BET MONEY, I bet the next DLC (Oct 2023) will probably be a "Highlands/Mountains" dlc. And I'd love Yak, Takin, Gelada and Andean Spectacled Bears in the game. But in the big picture that dlc will not rejuvenate the fanbase. People aren't clamouring for "Mountain animals" and "mountain architecture".
It really depends on scenery. Scenery packs are by default more popular so it will atleast rejuvenate building part of community.

I quite like this pack. I would've changed the Dama Gazelle and Sand cat with Hamadryas baboon and the collared peccary. Perhaps save the Addax for the anniversary and switch it with Yellow-footed rock wallaby perhaps? or a perentie. Still glad that we got the Addax though.

I do understand why they went with a lot of African animals, cause, well there are a lot of desert animals from Africa and it did bring some really nice African animals to the roster.

I didn't buy this DLC. I won't pay full price for it (just personally speaking).
I think there was only one DLC so far that has been more lackluster, and it was the Arctic DLC.
As the player count declines over time, there are certain ways to get the community reenergized and interested in Planet Zoo again.

It would be really refreshing if Frontier did something different. Maybe a large expansion.
Or giving the community Aviaries and Aquariums

So many people want to buy aviary dlc or aquarium dlc.

And many people have stated that they do not want to buy Planet Zoo 2 or a Planet Aquarium at this point in time.
If you want people to be interested in your game again it isn't rocket science. Did desert animals and grassland animals rejuvenate the fanbase??? LMAO NO. HARD NO.
But aviary dlc and aquarium dlc, would be the best selling DLC's.

FACTS. I'd bet money on it. I'd bet BIG MONEY aviary dlc and aquarium dlc would be the best selling Planet Zoo DLC's.

We have money.
So Make It.
I don’t think Aquariums is likely, too many things would need to change and there’s a lot of limits, birds on the other hand,

I think we could be looking at a large expansion for birds, even if it’s just 15 habitat+WTE animals. I don’t think these habitat birds would be free flying though, we have flapping and jumping animations, but I think it’s too hard to animate, but I could be wrong. It reminds me of the brachiation frames, depending on where you place them, the primate has to reach them and travel from one point to the other. For a bird, it’s the same thing, one point to another, but would have to have way more flight paths and routes, it would have to fly to the ground, from the ground to a perch, etc. they would have to have a variety of these or else it would just look like the looped animations in the WTE. Personally I would be okay if they combined habitat and exhibit and have a walkthrough exhibit having different templates, a square, rectangle, circular, etc. have a toggle so you can decide if people are aloud to enter, and still have the looped animations.

juice_box

Banned
It really depends on scenery. Scenery packs are by default more popular so it will atleast rejuvenate building part of community.
I see your point.

I meant if you look at the Steam daily active users, you can see that dlc's get some people to play the game. Scenery packs are slightly more popular.
But in no way is that what I meant by "rejuvenate".
By rejuvenate, I mean Frontier would give the community a VERY good dlc/expansion.
Perhaps one that is different. Maybe larger. Or one that the community has been asking for, for the past 4 years like aquariums and aviaries.
Because the scenery packs are not making people who stopped playing this game come back....

The amount of youtubers who have run out of ideas with this game is increasing week by week. And for good reason. If nobody is watching the Planet Zoo videos why make them? The player count is decreasing and to bring it back up a really popular expansion or dlc would probably accomplish that.

Easy solution to probably bring back a bunch of planet zoo players who have stopped playing (and stopped buying dlcs) is to give the community something to come back to.

Himalayan architechture WILL NOT DO THAT unfortunately.

Bird dlc. With aviaries. And aquarium dlc with Fish absolutely will.

If the game has SEMI AQUATIC exhibits. Newts. They can hav FULLY aquatic exhibits. Fish.
If the game has SEMI AQUATIC habitat animals. Sea Lions. They can have FULLY aquatic habitat animals. Manatee. Sharks.

Literally, just change how keepers add the animals to the habitat. Make different doors.
Nexus has free mods. BUT I am willing to not use them, and instead pay Frontier GOOD money (£ 15.49, $19.99) for an Aquarium DLC or Aviary DLC. But make it worth it because personally I didn't buy the Arid pack it wasn't worth the money in my opinon.

Last edited:
I see your point.

I meant if you look at the Steam daily active users, you can see that dlc's get some people to play the game. Scenery packs are slightly more popular.
But in no way is that what I meant by "rejuvenate".
By rejuvenate, I mean Frontier would give the community a VERY good dlc/expansion.
Perhaps one that is different. Maybe larger. Or one that the community has been asking for, for the past 4 years like aquariums and aviaries.
Because the scenery packs are not making people who stopped playing this game come back....

The amount of youtubers who have run out of ideas with this game is increasing week by week. And for good reason. If nobody is watching the Planet Zoo videos why make them? The player count is decreasing and to bring it back up a really popular expansion or dlc would probably accomplish that.

Easy solution to probably bring back a bunch of planet zoo players who have stopped playing (and stopped buying dlcs) is to give the community something to come back to.

Himalayan architechture WILL NOT DO THAT unfortunately.

Bird dlc. With aviaries. And aquarium dlc with Fish absolutely will.

If the game has SEMI AQUATIC exhibits. Newts. They can hav FULLY aquatic exhibits. Fish.
If the game has SEMI AQUATIC habitat animals. Sea Lions. They can have FULLY aquatic habitat animals. Manatee. Sharks.

Literally, just change how keepers add the animals to the habitat. Make different doors.
Nexus has free mods. BUT I am willing to not use them, and instead pay Frontier GOOD money (£ 15.49, $19.99) for an Aquarium DLC or Aviary DLC. But make it worth it.
Bird actually seems likely, and we have a bit of evidence for it:
  • Strongest, we haven’t got a single bird yet this year, compared to last year where we got 2. Especially when we just had the arid pack that could’ve had the Secretary.
  • The “teaser” people have been caught up on with the parrot poster in one of the staff buildings, very small, but it’s potentially something.

Top Bottom