Notice ARX FAQ

the good side of this is that you can ignore all this and just play, and eventually you'll have enough for some skin you might like, for free, without feeding the beast and feeling bad about it.
Yes but as they said they will significantly improve the quality of paint jobs, who will resist buying packages ?

Arx! The herald news threads sing:
Glory to our new cash thing!
Dodgy paint packs recompiled,
PCs / consoles reconciled.
Buy the new skins as we drop 'em,
No more docking just to swap 'em,
Buy them all without a care;
Apply from the menu anywhere!
Arx! The herald news threads sing:
Think of the profits this will bring.

(mostly kidding; I'm actually quite bullish about these changes,
unless the effective cost per skin goes up from its current price,
in which case I'll angrily repost this in a series of larger fonts.)

The really good threads will be those complaining that the gametime/arxe ratio is crap.

I imagine a few by now imagine they'll be able to buy the entire stores contents just by gameplay alone.
Personally so long as it is feasible to buy some stuff with gameplay alone I will be happy. If a skin is 100 arxes a bobblehead is 200 arxes a flight suit 300arxes and a ship kit it 500 arxes and you earn 10arxes and HR with a max of say 30 a week
Then personally I would be fine with it.

IF the costs were the same but you only earned 1 an HR and a max of 3 a week... I would be dissapointed but even then it would realistically be no worse than we have now. Once it is implemented I am sure FD will twiddle their nobs to tweak the numbers as we go forward

My third point was that Elite Dangerous already has an in-game currency, "credits" and if Frontier wanted players to simply buy paintjobs and stuff in-game, they could use that,
Conceptually I agree with you and it would work if FD had kept a handle on the economy and instead of massively increasing earnings and allowing exploits to run wild had tweaked the costs of equipments and ships a bit to balance earnings
IF FD did what you suggest how would the price it? Either billionaire exploiters would be able to buy the whole store in a day OR a skin would have to cost 10s of millions of credits this punishing those of us who played in a strict way. Sadly that ship has sailed (and sank,)

1 thing I will say and then will stop spamming. I am surprised they are not being tied to the mission system at least in part. I really hope they manage to make it unexploitable. FD have a poor track record here after looking at their reputation decay after being naughty.

Personally i WOULD alter mission rewards to include arx points, as well as tied into handing data into UC, bounty vouchers into security etc as well as into those random "fuel rat" type missions where after doing it an NPC could message you and say thank you for your help I shall report your deeds to authorities.

Someone mentioned the Chinese social reputation system. Actually tieing arx into something like that could be great and not just for legal stuff either
(Piracy factions award arx for piratey deeds,) etc etc etc

AFAIK those "digital tokens earned in-game" business models are very close to the "pay to unlock" Lootbox models, just minus the gambling/RNG.

In order to be profitable, they can't be much more than an incentive.
I.e. play 1 month and it'll earn you not more than a discount on a Paintjob.

So if it's such a "disguised Discount buyer incentive" model , don't ever expect to earn enough Tokens to make any reasonable purchases.
That's still where your Dollars/Euros etc. come in.

Look up what a 'prediction' is. No point is making predictions after the fact...

And as a leper myself I resent the implication of self-hate, naughty boi!
No you asked a question (in a separate paragraph from your prediction) . Have we heard from the LEPers yet complaining about non lepers getting stuff for playing the game. . To which from what I have seen the answer is no.

Last edited:
Will the team be doing anything to improve the quality of Paint Jobs/Ship Kits?
Actually, yes! We've been making improvements to the Paint Job render system over the course of this year. New Paint Jobs will all use this improved system, meaning we are able to offer sharper, more detailed paint schemes than ever before. Furthermore, we are working through our back catalog to update Paint Jobs we feel could benefit from a touch up.
While you are at it, make some improvements in the Shadow Render System. I'm serious. Shadow quality keeps getting nerfed on PS4, to the point where I don't even bother with paint jobs anymore because the shadows that 'sit on top' of those paint jobs ruin the 'view'. It didn't always used to be this way, which means it doesn't need to be this way now.

My third point was that Elite Dangerous already has an in-game currency, "credits" and if Frontier wanted players to simply buy paintjobs and stuff in-game, they could use that, and not this stupid 2nd currency they are forcing on PC players, who I am sure, not one asked for this (seriously, did any console player ask Frontier to make things more stupid, convoluted and a rip-off for PC players? I don't think so).
That currency you mention is currently free and gained by ingame missions and such.

My third point was that Elite Dangerous already has an in-game currency, "credits" and if Frontier wanted players to simply buy paintjobs and stuff in-game, they could use that, and not this stupid 2nd currency they are forcing on PC players, who I am sure, not one asked for this
Credits are really devalued - some have billions, some have none - so what do you set the price at? Plus : fdev are known for introducing CR exploits on many releases - they'd be mad to tie cosmetics to such a currency. Will be interesting to see what they do allow to create Arx in game.

I'm more thinking that rather than exploiting their users fdev may lose income: if I'm given the choice between earning paintjobs in-game or paying for them I'll probably not pay.

Top Bottom