Notice ARX FAQ

Deleted member 38366

D
AFAIK those "digital tokens earned in-game" business models are very close to the "pay to unlock" Lootbox models, just minus the gambling/RNG.

In order to be profitable, they can't be much more than an incentive.
I.e. play 1 month and it'll earn you not more than a discount on a Paintjob.

So if it's such a "disguised Discount buyer incentive" model , don't ever expect to earn enough Tokens to make any reasonable purchases.
That's still where your Dollars/Euros etc. come in.

Look up what a 'prediction' is. No point is making predictions after the fact...

And as a leper myself I resent the implication of self-hate, naughty boi!
No you asked a question (in a separate paragraph from your prediction) . Have we heard from the LEPers yet complaining about non lepers getting stuff for playing the game. . To which from what I have seen the answer is no.

Last edited:
Will the team be doing anything to improve the quality of Paint Jobs/Ship Kits?
Actually, yes! We've been making improvements to the Paint Job render system over the course of this year. New Paint Jobs will all use this improved system, meaning we are able to offer sharper, more detailed paint schemes than ever before. Furthermore, we are working through our back catalog to update Paint Jobs we feel could benefit from a touch up.

While you are at it, make some improvements in the Shadow Render System. I'm serious. Shadow quality keeps getting nerfed on PS4, to the point where I don't even bother with paint jobs anymore because the shadows that 'sit on top' of those paint jobs ruin the 'view'. It didn't always used to be this way, which means it doesn't need to be this way now.

My third point was that Elite Dangerous already has an in-game currency, "credits" and if Frontier wanted players to simply buy paintjobs and stuff in-game, they could use that, and not this stupid 2nd currency they are forcing on PC players, who I am sure, not one asked for this
Credits are really devalued - some have billions, some have none - so what do you set the price at? Plus : fdev are known for introducing CR exploits on many releases - they'd be mad to tie cosmetics to such a currency. Will be interesting to see what they do allow to create Arx in game.

I'm more thinking that rather than exploiting their users fdev may lose income: if I'm given the choice between earning paintjobs in-game or paying for them I'll probably not pay.

Arx! The herald news threads sing:
Glory to our new cash thing!
Dodgy paint packs recompiled,
PCs / consoles reconciled.
Buy the new skins as we drop 'em,
No more docking just to swap 'em,
Buy them all without a care;
Apply from the menu anywhere!
Arx! The herald news threads sing:
Think of the profits this will bring.

(mostly kidding; I'm actually quite bullish about these changes,
unless the effective cost per skin goes up from its current price,
in which case I'll angrily repost this in a series of larger fonts.)
All complaint threads should be presented through the medium of song / iambic pentameter / dirty limerick.

Bravo!

How is it a rip-off. You choose to get a skin, you don't need any to play the game the same as anyone else. You could just play the game earn Arx and get the skins you want for free. Sure that really is ripping you off.

I want to respect your opinion, but it's difficult when it makes no sense. If it was pay to win, sure I would understand, but it's not.

I am saying there is no issue because there is no issue. If you decide to get a skin and you think it's a rip-off. The only person ripping you off is yourself.

It says Gullible on the ceiling.

I demand to haz my Arx backdated, iz been playing since day 1 and entitle to 50 bazillion Arx.
OKAY, FOR ALL THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN PLAYING ON PC FOR YEARS, HOW ABOUT AN ARX BACK-PAY!!!
I thought FD had already answered this with a large, steaming "nope" but now I've checked the threads I can't find mention of it. I guess they could do a straight calculation based on "free arx per hour played" and give everyone a starter, but then you'd have people complaining that other players' time was spent AFK, and that bot accounts will have generated more free arx than legitimate accounts. Until we know how arx are earned (it has to be more than just being logged in, surely?) it'd be a difficult one to balance.

Of more concern to me (and maybe for the other players who mentioned it, although I can't speak for them) is the separation of paint packs into individual paint jobs. I'm fairly sure I've only ever used two of the skins from the Asp Horus pack, and can say with some degree of certainty that of the Tactical packs I've bought for multiple ships across multiple accounts with real cash, Tactical Ice is the only one I've ever applied because Tactical Ice is the only one I wanted. Game and/or server logs would probably back this up. If FD want to exercise some goodwill then there really ought to be some way of returning "unused" paints to the store in exchange for arx. It's not as though you can convert them back to cash.

The only real question remaining is how many Arx we'll get per hour played. I think this is the most important factor, and also the hardest to balance so that we feel rewarded while Frontier still can generate income from microtransactions. If it's too grindy then players will hate it. If it's too generous then the developers won't be able to sustain the system. It will be interesting to see how it works.
How many Arx per hour is only half the question we would also need to know how many Arx per paint job for any meaningful understanding.

Will current players get Arx backwards? Some of us have thousands of hours in Elite Dangerous already and don't you think that we should be rewarded for that FDev? OR will you get extra Arx for those who already spend much money on cosmetics as a reward for them?

As a player with many thousands of hours and a reasonable amount spent on cosmetics I sincerely hope that FDev wouldn’t do something so stupidly divisive. I have already had my reward for those thousands of hours, it was playing Elite for all that time.

If they want to give free stuff or other rewards from time to time it shouldn’t be based on how long ago someone bought the game or how much money they have spent in the past.

As a player with many thousands of hours and a reasonable amount spent on cosmetics I sincerely hope that FDev wouldn’t do something so stupidly divisive. I have already had my reward for those thousands of hours, it was playing Elite for all that time.

You are probably right, but it would be nice step from FDevs if they do something to thank loyal players that have been with Elite Dangerous for such long time. Something like "To celebrate start of Elite Dangerous new currentcy we would like to thank our loyal players by gifting everyone who owns the game for 1 year or more - 500 Arx. Thank you Commanders!". Wouldn't that be nice?

If they want to give free stuff or other rewards from time to time it shouldn’t be based on how long ago someone bought the game or how much money they have spent in the past.

So in your opinion loyal players shouldn't matter to Frontier? It sound like that.

They do give free stuff on streams and other occasions. That doesn't need to be changed. It's fine already.

You are probably right, but it would be nice step from FDevs if they do something to thank loyal players that have been with Elite Dangerous for such long time. Something like "To celebrate start of Elite Dangerous new currentcy we would like to thank our loyal players by gifting everyone who owns the game for 1 year or more - 500 Arx. Thank you Commanders!". Wouldn't that be nice?

I thought they are already giving free stuff to their existing player base - everyone not just loyals
I found that i have some paints for my Cobra or for my Krait that i never bought... it was a pleasant surprise to find them in my outfitting screen

So in your opinion loyal players shouldn't matter to Frontier? It sound like that.

They do give free stuff on streams and other occasions. That doesn't need to be changed. It's fine already.

It would be nice to have a reward based on how many years I have been playing the game but unless they are a regular thing, like the old significant day awards but easier not to miss out on, they can cause resentment amongst those who just failed to qualify.

I thought they are already giving free stuff to their existing player base - everyone not just loyals
I found that i have some paints for my Cobra or for my Krait that i never bought... it was a pleasant surprise to find them in my outfitting screen

Yeah, there were few occasions that they gave paint jobs to everyone BECAUSE players did something to earn them :D
So you must say "Thank You" to other Commanders, not FDevs ;)

Top Bottom