Be honest everyone. Who will most likely purchase the Python MkII..?

Anything that supports and encourages future development of the game I will support and pay for. But of course I'm saying that because I can afford it. Not everybody can.

i'm still considering - just checked my accounts and unfortunately none have the required arx so i would have to buy arx (like i did many times in the past, however this time seems that i'm having trouble rationalizing this choice besides "support the game")

As I see it you can buy with 33,000Arx now or wait 3 months and buy using in game CR - correct?
And is it available in game for Horizons as well as Ody and not just in Ody?

Bought the basic version... the PJ and ship kit version looked really nice; can't say I wasn't tempted but it ultimately wasn't worth the extra scratch to me. I've got enough parts and mats lying around that I don't have much interest in the pre-built part.

4 high cap pacifiers (2 incendiary, 1 drag, 1 corrosive) and 2 medium SRB PAs works great. The convergence is lovely.

The ability to mass 3 or 4 large hardpoints is something that needs to be explored in detail. Granted, most of those hardpoints will need to be either efficient or naturally low draw, but 4 of just about any weapon does a lot of up front damage.

The effect of ENG pips is definitely mild. 411 m/s full throttle with 4 pips, 353 m/s with zero pips.

There would be so many easy solutions to the ganking problem which would allow players to play in open and do all multiplayer activities without the fear of being ganked, but of course fdev will never implement them.

Here's one idea: Support opting out of being interdicted by another player.

It would work like this: A switch in some setting menu which, if turned on, makes it not possible for you to interdict other players, as well as for other players to interdict you.

If you have this setting on and you are in a team, no member of your team can interdict other players either. For a team to be able to interdict other players, every single member of the team must have the setting off.

There should be some sort of delay between switching this setting and it having an effect (in order to stop it from being abused). For example turning it on (ie. you can't be interdicted by other players) could have a delay of a few hours, turning it off (ie. you can be interdicted) some minutes. (This is so that a ganker can't abuse the setting to avoid being revenge-griefed himself after he has interdicted somebody.)

This setting would have no effect on interdicting/being interdicted by NPCs, so that game mechanic would stay intact.

Sure, this wouldn't solve the problem 100% (eg. it doesn't stop someone from camping at Jameson Memorial and sniping arriving commanders), but it would be a huge improvement.
I would suggest an interdiction jammer that operates something like the pulse wave neutralizer. If Frontier switched up the interdiction mechanic so that it pulsed outwards over a short period of time vs being instant, and also visible on the scanner, then there could be a chance to avoid it using skill.

I bought the base Python MkII & have deployed it to my carrier. I have enough modules to equip it but I'll have to wait for the patch to equip the core internal modules. The process of deploying works but with that & the extra steps for replacing modules seems needlessly complex but presumably there is some potential exploit or other issue I don't care about that's being avoided. I don't think I'll buy another ship from the store because of this extra outfitting faff apart from getting early access.

Looks nice & I like that the hardpoint placement is the same as the regular Python with the addition of another C3 slot top middle so I can use essentially the same weapon loadout as my other Pythons. Nice that is comes with an SCO FSD too so I can try out that new functionality while I'm still way out in the black. Having that module equipped & being able to try it out was what convinced me to buy it now rather than wait until I was back in populated space.

I would suggest an interdiction jammer that operates something like the pulse wave neutralizer. If Frontier switched up the interdiction mechanic so that it pulsed outwards over a short period of time vs being instant, and also visible on the scanner, then there could be a chance to avoid it using skill.
Problem is that it would allow gankers to themselves avoid being interdicted, while newbies would still be easy prey for them.

Problem is that it would allow gankers to themselves avoid being interdicted, while newbies would still be easy prey for them.
That's two separate issues, I don't think any newbies are going to be interdicting gankers but even if a newbie got caught then there could be a legitimate solution to the problem. As it stands I don't believe many are good enough to beat a ganker in the interdiction game, mostly because of engineering, which might be a solution too, remove all engineering from the interdictor as it is a module being buffed without any effective counter to it.

That's two separate issues, I don't think any newbies are going to be interdicting gankers but even if a newbie got caught then there could be a legitimate solution to the problem. As it stands I don't believe many are good enough to beat a ganker in the interdiction game, mostly because of engineering, which might be a solution too, remove all engineering from the interdictor as it is a module being buffed without any effective counter to it.
The main engineering benefit to the interdictor is the wide arc, which doesn’t help win the interdiction itself.

The effect of ENG pips is definitely mild. 411 m/s full throttle with 4 pips, 353 m/s with zero pips.
Niiice... Almost as fast as Phantom at 4 pips, but faster at 2 pips. The boost seems strong, too, from what I've seen in videos:p
Or just rebalance the FSD minigame to be more difficult for the interdictor and easier for the interdicted, then rebalance NPC interdiction skills so that winning interdictions by NPC pirates doesn't get too easy and interdicting NPC-s doesn't get too difficult:)

is a module being buffed without any effective counter to it.
The counter to being interdicted was under the original design and even some of the early implementation supposed to be "shoot back". ED has ended up I think unique among spaceship-flying games which include weapons at all [1] in providing a near-100% reliable way to just avoid fights without consequence, even versus opponents which are considerably faster and more agile, to the extent that "doesn't always work on other players" has become the inconsistency to be challenged, and even Frontier will happily attempt to sell beginners a functionally-unarmed ship.

Too late to do anything about it now even if anyone much would approve of it, so maybe the thing to do is to go fully the other way and remove interdiction from the game entirely - if you want to fight someone (NPC or player) go and find them in normal space and attack them there, and keep supercruise purely for moving between POIs.

[1] Including, of course, its three direct predecessors.

Top Bottom