Game Discussions Bethesda Softworks Starfield Space RPG

Something is cooking for June 11th, but that's still a month away. Starting to get very concerned about the lack of gaemplay videos. Looks like might be another delay or a terrible launch.
But just a reminder, this game will be on Gamepass. So you don't need to pay full price for it :sneaky:.

Xbox-Starfield-Direct-Hero-Image-37faabd65d647fb77b68.jpg

Something is cooking for June 11th, but that's still a month away. Starting to get very concerned about the lack of gaemplay videos.
Surely June 11th is when they are going to release loads of gameplay videos? what's the point of a big showcase if they already released loads of videos before then

Surely June 11th is when they are going to release loads of gameplay videos? what's the point of a big showcase if they already released loads of videos before then
Aren't they usually very late with any footage and trailers? FO4 was just like 3 months before release? Imagine it's a crapola like FO76 and you've been hyping up for months, lol. I should maybe check if my system can run it.

Something is cooking for June 11th, but that's still a month away. Starting to get very concerned about the lack of gaemplay videos. Looks like might be another delay or a terrible launch.
But just a reminder, this game will be on Gamepass. So you don't need to pay full price for it :sneaky:.
Seriously. Stop with the FUD already. You already know Bethesda/Todd's track record where delays in their AAA release dates (and especially game performance at release) are concerned. And you've got the entire spectrum from Skyrim to FO4 to F76. All this speculation is just pointless and silly. What are you going to do if SF ends up being delayed again? Quietly pull out the down stuffing from your pillow at night? Ghost yourself on social media until it releases? Book an extended reservation to Bellevue? Jeezus.

For once I have to take Bethesda's side and admit they can't win.

Release a couple videos and fan base loses it's collective mind.

Don't release a couple of videos and fan base loses it's collective mind.

Seriously, ppl need to go find something worthwhile to do irl while the game's cooking. And if there is going to be another upcoming delay, then that's best. Because we've all seen the irreversible damage rushing the game out as MVP did to likes of CP2077 and Redfall.

Last edited:
Seriously. Stop with the FUD already. You already know Bethesda/Todd's track record where delays in their AAA release dates (and especially game performance at release) are concerned. And you've got the entire spectrum from Skyrim to FO4 to F76. All this speculation is just pointless and silly. What are you going to do if SF ends up being delayed again? Quietly pull out the down stuffing from your pillow at night? Ghost yourself on social media until it releases? Book an extended reservation to Bellevue? Jeezus.

For once I have to take Bethesda's side and admit they can't win.

Release a couple videos and fan base loses it's collective mind.

Don't release a couple of videos and fan base loses it's collective mind.

Seriously, ppl need to go find something worthwhile to do irl while the game's cooking. And if there is going to be another upcoming delay, then that's best. Because we've all seen the irreversible damage rushing the game out as MVP did to likes of CP2077.
I don't think the delayed release date will improve the game. It probably depends on the qualifications of the developers.

I've been playing TES since Arena.

I'm pretty sure I know exactly what to expect. The game will be great but the initial release will be a bug ridden mess. It's the way it always goes. I don't think it will be as bad as F76 as I think that was mostly due to a single player game dev making an MMO. But it will have loads of hilarious bethesda bugs just like Skyrim did and basically every other game they've ever made

I'm still looking forward to it and it will be one of the few games I buy on release without waiting for a sale

If they're taking this time to incorporate ChatGPT into SF to improve the immersivity of NPC AI social capability? I wouldn't mind at all...

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wCjosz1vOA

By the way, the ChatGPT mod is insane in it's fidelity giving NPCs the missing sense they needed in world and self awareness. Take the Warmaiden Blacksmith's conversation with the player at 05:00 for example. The mod allowed the NPC to assess the PC's weapon. So the NPC knew exactly what item the PC was offering him for trade (ie a well crafted iron sword with soul gem enchant!). And as ESO comments, permits the NPC to base their weapon evaluation on weapon specs ChatGPT accumulated on the game's lore.

On the flip side, the AI and social skills of that female Redguard/Warmaiden head blacksmith needs some serious dumbing down. Her deep philosophical musings and oral diarrhea of the mouth is a bit off putting. When all you want to do is sell all the damned loot you've been logging around Skyrim. Lol. Same with Mjoll too come to think of it. Can just see her in her melee tank role. Lecturing you with a detailed backstory of the enemy NPCs she's about to de-brain with Grimsever...

Last edited:

Todd Howard Explains How They Were Able to Make So Many Planets​

https://gamerant.com/starfield-planet-count-how/

Fairly short article; what surprised me was no mention at all of Elite: Dangerous considering the topic is about procedural generation of planets.

I have no experience AT ALL of previous Bethesda titles (Skyrim seems in high regard since it's still going mainly through mod support) but I think limiting the initial release to 1000 planets is a good idea. Put something in there that has meaningful game play and perhaps in a few years they can expand it again.
Looking forward to the showcase which is less than 2 weeks away now.

Todd Howard Explains How They Were Able to Make So Many Planets​

https://gamerant.com/starfield-planet-count-how/

Fairly short article; what surprised me was no mention at all of Elite: Dangerous considering the topic is about procedural generation of planets.

I have no experience AT ALL of previous Bethesda titles (Skyrim seems in high regard since it's still going mainly through mod support) but I think limiting the initial release to 1000 planets is a good idea. Put something in there that has meaningful game play and perhaps in a few years they can expand it again.
Looking forward to the showcase which is less than 2 weeks away now.
I don't remember the game TES:Arena very well. But I remember well: Morovind, Obvillion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and 4. None of the games had procedural surface and map generation. Yes it was in individual dungeons and dialogues but no more.

Daggerfall Unity is well worth a look - it restores the heightmap to the game world which was included but not activated in the original release (it can be seen in pre-release screenshots but it was dropped for performance reasons). The procedural dungeons can also be made smaller which I found to be more fun than the sprawling originals.

Curious that the Gamerant article doesn’t mention Odyssey’s planet generation - using pre-made terrain blocks in Starfield sounds exactly like what EDO has.

Daggerfall Unity is well worth a look - it restores the heightmap to the game world which was included but not activated in the original release (it can be seen in pre-release screenshots but it was dropped for performance reasons). The procedural dungeons can also be made smaller which I found to be more fun than the sprawling originals.

Curious that the Gamerant article doesn’t mention Odyssey’s planet generation - using pre-made terrain blocks in Starfield sounds exactly like what EDO has.
Those dungeons... They would get so big opening the 3d map would crash my comp. I would spend days in them. If you wanted to watch a movie to get the same vibe I recomend The Descent.

Oh right, I forgot about Daggerfall and even its name :)
But since Morrowind there was no procedural map generation

This is a quote from Todd Howard

""We've always done [procedural generation]," Howard told IGN. "It's a big part of Skyrim in terms of questing and some other things we do. We generate landscape using procedural systems, so we've always kind of worked on it."

Pretty much all very large games use some procedural generation for the actual map, whether they wrote the alogorithms themselves or used something third party. It would take forevever to handcraft Skyrims map and there is no real benefit over letting the computer do it.

This is a quote from Todd Howard

""We've always done [procedural generation]," Howard told IGN. "It's a big part of Skyrim in terms of questing and some other things we do. We generate landscape using procedural systems, so we've always kind of worked on it."

Pretty much all very large games use some procedural generation for the actual map, whether they wrote the alogorithms themselves or used something third party. It would take forevever to handcraft Skyrims map and there is no real benefit over letting the computer do it.
They create handcrafted worlds and use proc genning tools to fill it. True Proc gen is ED and NMS. NMS really got it quite well but Bethesda worlds wouldnt be as good with just proc genned assets. Howard just drops some keywords to get attention. They use tools for world creation and content creation but the worlds aren't fully proc genned.

They create handcrafted worlds and use proc genning tools to fill it. True Proc gen is ED and NMS. NMS really got it quite well but Bethesda worlds wouldnt be as good with just proc genned assets. Howard just drops some keywords to get attention. They use tools for world creation and content creation but the worlds aren't fully proc genned.
After all, Odyssey (and earlier Horizons) is only an addition to the main game.
So, as for StarField, I would like to know more about spaceships, flights, landings, and battles in space.

After all, Odyssey (and earlier Horizons) is only an addition to the main game.
So, as for StarField, I would like to know more about spaceships, flights, landings, and battles in space.

One of my main issues with Starfield at the moment is, if I can't fly my spaceship down to a planet and land it myself it's going to feel only half finished. Everything I have seen so far seems to suggest you won't be able to do that, but there simply hasn't been enough detail released about that aspect of the game so far.

One of my main issues with Starfield at the moment is, if I can't fly my spaceship down to a planet and land it myself it's going to feel only half finished. Everything I have seen so far seems to suggest you won't be able to do that, but there simply hasn't been enough detail released about that aspect of the game so far.
In Privater and Wing Commander, takeoff and landing looked like cut scenes.

P.S. Sorry, off topic. I didn't play Citizen. And how will it look like flying over the city and firing rockets at it?

Top Bottom