"Blockade" of Dav's Hope

In reality there was no skill involved at all, you just needed to learn a few tricks, that's all.
Pretty much, though that was pretty common with computer games of that era. Comparisons just seem a bit goofy considering how elaborate ED gank meta is compared to anything that Elite was before this game.

Yep, open is dangerous, avoid it if you want to do certain things. Things like farm Dav's Hope/Jameson Crash/Orrere Crash/Etc. in a small ship with no shields. Griefers going to grief and all that.
As far as a public block list, too easy to just add someone you don't like that is not griefing to a block list. Lose at consensual PvP, add to public block, they have purple hair, add to public block list, etc. I would not trust someone else's block list without knowing them pretty well.
You are definitely right, but id that would be public i would expect comments below sich list with people confirming/denying some nemaes. That wouldnt be good starting point.

Except ganking isnt an exploit
Wouldnt it be a exploiting of (nonexistent) crime and punishment system?
Surely not, that is game design.

But,following that logic, resseting instance moment all players leave it( instance) is also game design. I know multiple games where instances are kept for up to 30 mins?

Also devs could easly detect this behaviour. Sounds like... lack of crime and punishment

EDIT: however first is spoiling others person game, second is spoiling you own game. Which one is should be punished first/more?

Last edited:
Wouldnt it be a exploiting of (nonexistent) crime and punishment system?
Surely not, that is game design.

But,following that logic, resseting instance moment all players leave it( instance) is also game design. I know multiple games where instances are kept for up to 30 mins?

Also devs could easly detect this behaviour. Sounds like... lack of crime and punishment
Yet you could get a mission from your friendly faction requesting you to kill 18 civilians from an opposing faction. Yes you will incur a penalty or three but you take the mission knowing the consequences of your impending actions. No real difference to ganking actually just against NPCs ...

I've never quite seen a games forum react this way to pvp interactions before.
I'd say it is just the game structure and inherent "unfairness" of ED Open gank-prey logic that obviously is the salt mine here.

Most PvP games that I can think of are either geared towards PvP and "fair" in a sense that the gap between newbie and a veteran is primarily skill, and everyone is there to kill each other - or PvP is boxed and zoned to certain areas of the gameplay. I can only imagine how messed up it would be if say ESO that I have been playing lately suddenly allowed me to kill lvl 20 peeps I met in a regular quest dungeon.

ED has tons of tools to avoid non-consensual PvP, but I guess these aren't as obvious considering how gankers at Deciat have +1bn bounties and CMDRs like the OP die repeatedly flying to Davs.

Yet you could get a mission from your friendly faction requesting you to kill 18 civilians from an opposing faction. Yes you will incur a penalty or three but you take the mission knowing the consequences of your impending actions. No real difference to ganking actually just against NPCs ...
I see your point, but im not sure if it invalidates mine. Also - are there missions to kill ships other than combat ones / military transports? Surely i havent received mission to kill belugas

This might be just me talking, but IMO Elite 1984 didn't have a very high skill ceiling modern gamewise. Maybe ED sorta reflects it with the gap between maximum PvE and PvP skill, not to talk about engineering.

I was more thinking towards the lore and setup. You can still have easy mode now with Solo/PG, after a few hours of game play there is really nothing in ED what is organically dangerous. Most challenges are opt-in, CZ, AX, Pirate activity, to name a few. For me open is more in line with what the Elite universe supposed to be, dangerous, and not because of the name but the lore surrounding it.

I'd say it is just the game structure and inherent "unfairness" of ED Open gank-prey logic that obviously is the salt mine here.

Most PvP games that I can think of are either geared towards PvP and "fair" in a sense that the gap between newbie and a veteran is primarily skill, and everyone is there to kill each other - or PvP is boxed and zoned to certain areas of the gameplay.

I can only imagine how messed up it would be if say ESO that I have been playing lately suddenly allowed me to kill lvl 20 peeps I met in a regular quest dungeon.

I like the way Elite is set up, in that some high-level player can prey on the new, ill- or unprepared, it makes the setting more believable. Instancing and all the other quirks throw a wrench in it, but nothing we can do about that. If not I could get a newbie account and run bgs right in front of my opposition without fear of getting blown up. Same with "stealing" kills from other players in Res sites or CZs. It doesn't make sense for a cutthroat galaxy setting.
My Sidewinder with which I started my open adventure had more hit points then some of the Corvettes I see flying around. That some areas are kinda "off-limit" in open until you and your ship are ready because of player actions and not because of permits and/or FDev's magic hand is interesting and somehow in line with what the setting of the game is. Most of the stuff you can get there you can get somewhere else too, so with being a little smart about it, there is almost no issue.

I see your point, but im not sure if it invalidates mine. Also - are there missions to kill ships other than combat ones / military transports? Surely i havent received mission to kill belugas

Many of that around, just need to look more towards the bottom of the missions board. Mainly the freedom loving MFs have them.

guy flies terribly outfitted ship and dies, does it again twice more and blames the game/person that killed him??
Maybe he didn't have engineering unlocked to outfit, or perhaps the mats he was going to farm? I know I would've died to your mail slot surprise without shield gen engineering.

I like the way Elite is set up, in that some high-level player can prey on the new, ill- or unprepared, it makes the setting more believable.
IMO it is ridiculous, considering there's no actual in-game motive (nor consequences) for people to hang out at Deciat and have some absurd billion credit bounty on them. But hey, it's a headcanon thing and I'm not complaining, there are modes and block for ill- and unprepared.

I feel that. I'm sure FD will have statistics of players' mode choices on a continuous basis, so every time I log in there's an element of voting. I don't want to support Open as it is now, so I only use it when I know I want to meet someone I don't have a common PG with. Maybe FD will interpret logs into Mobius as desire for better C&P or an Open-PvE mode.

Maybe people don't pvp more because there is no incentive to. If you implement a bare bones foundation aka minimum viable product / tier zero and then say statistics show nobody uses this well what good are those statistics in the first place?

I've heard statistics excuse many times over the years thrown around. I think its crap.

You could blame it on me being naive and having a bit of a faith in humanity, hoping he has had enough and would just leave me be.

Yup, that's pretty much it I'm afraid. Enough time playing Open PvP multiplayer games, and you eventually come to understand that yes, there really are people out there who will go far out of their way and take personal losses in game just to make life unpleasant and upsetting for you. I'm sorry it took so long and cost you some rebuys, it's possible to learn the same thing in about ten minutes of playing GTA Online.

It's also worth bearing in mind that these people are why it's so hard to fix the problem. Surely, people say, it can be fixed by just making a PvE mode where, ooh, player weapons can't damage player ships? Nope, griefers will just ram people to death instead. Introduce the rule that if you somehow, via ramming, cause another ship to be destroyed in a station no-fire zone? They'll ram your Anaconda with a Sidewinder and get you shot by the station for killing them. Introduce the speed limit thing? People discovered that they could ram people from behind, pushing them over the speed limit, dying themselves and getting their targets shot by the station. Even if FD completely disabled player-to-player ship contact altogether the griefers would probably come up with something like, ooh, interposing a couple of Condas in front of the mailslot to try to get people to crash into the toastrack or other ships coming in and out that they couldn't see. They're often disturbingly ingenious in their endless quest to make other people suffer for their own amusement.

And now, because of these people, I have to go Solo in order to be able to play normally? Well, I guess that's the reality I will have no other choice but to accept.

Or, join Mobius. That's why it exists...

What if building and having that bounty is the in-game motive?
It sure can be an out-of-game pis*ing contest but if we are talking about what is believable lorewise, I find hard to believe that billion credit wanted murderers could actually dock anywhere in the civilized bubble. Of course in ED the problem is that the game can toss any NPC bounty hunter to collect that reward, but even a combat potato like me can either lose or kill those hunters.

I mean, what the heck is the in-game motive? I'm pretty damn sure that killers at Deciat sure ain't interdicting every single NPC to up their bounty, they inherently prefer killing CMDRs.

Last edited:
Mobius only exists due to the lack of a proper PvE mode. It's a symptom, not the cure.
Yep, have to agree on that. Mobius is lonely because it is PG limited and you need to apply. I wonder how many of these complaint threads we would have if the middle choice actually wasn't exclusive Private Group but a PvE mode.

"I went to Davs Hope to farm mats and I don't want to do it in PvE mode, so I got killed by this CMDR..."

Back
Top Bottom