Blocking in Elite Dangerous

And I'd ask you, if this was in Open in Powerplay, would you block other rival pledges?

If yes, what you describe here in a Powerplay context is exploiting the block function.
Me personally? No! Back on PS4, my alt joined a power specifically for "legitimate" PvP. You must understand, I'm an immersive, role-playing CMDR, to the point of nerfing myself in many ways. I've decided with my new PC CMDR that I'm not going to pledge to any power, which means I'll never own a PP module. If I change my mind, I'll pledge only to one or perhaps two at most powers, and those powers would be allies (most likely Hudson and Winters since my current CMDR is loyal to the Federation).

But I doubt I'll change my mind...

Having said all that, PP is a game that can be played from Solo and PG, and even when I used to play pledged to Arissa on my alt, that was on PS4 where you could do nothing to get to me (except buy a PS4 yourself), so I'm not sure how blocking breaks PP.

Me personally? No! Back on PS4, my alt joined a power specifically for "legitimate" PvP. You must understand, I'm an immersive, role-playing CMDR, to the point of nerfing myself in many ways. I've decided with my new PC CMDR that I'm not going to pledge to any power, which means I'll never own a PP module. If I change my mind, I'll pledge only to one or perhaps two at most powers, and those powers would be allies (most likely Hudson and Winters since my current CMDR is loyal to the Federation).

Having said all that, PP is a game that can be played from Solo and PG, and even when I used to play pledged to Arissa on my alt, that was on PS4 where you could do nothing to get to me (except buy a PS4 yourself), so I'm not sure how blocking breaks PP...

Blocking breaks PP in Open because PP is a mode about direct opposition with the possibility of it when two pledges meet. Its why in PP blocking someone who wants to kill you defeats the actual point of the feature if and when it happens...over the years many powers have posted rather shameful screengrabs of certain players encouraging players to block any rivals encountered, which drives my opinion its abused.

In your case, you could fly in, block any rivals and return with your T-9 full of fortification materials.

Plus, all powers have presences on each platform. They are more rarefied than PC, but they do exist and do come across each other.

And I'd ask you, if this was in Open in Powerplay, would you block other rival pledges?

If yes, what you describe here in a Powerplay context is exploiting the block function.

The sort of person who would cheat via blocking is very unlikely not to clog, so its probably not worth worrying about.

Blocking breaks PP in Open because PP is a mode about direct opposition with the possibility of it when two pledges meet.

sorry but no, it isn't. sandro wanted it to be more in line with this ethos (hence the pp-open only fever) but that went nowhere. so even if it would make sense there is nothing official in that. in that sense pp isn't different from bgs, cz, missioning or a late navbeacon party.

so since blocking is a feature entirely at the discretion of the user there simply is no way to exploit it: absolutely all blocking is exactly as valid as playing in any combination of game modes.

True, but blocking should take into account the context its used in. Blocking needs to block abuse, and not the underlying gameplay.
Well, if Frontier made PP "Open-only, no-blocking" I would not complain. However, I'm not under the impression that Frontier cares about PP, and therefore neither do I.

True, but blocking should take into account the context its used in. Blocking needs to block abuse, and not the underlying gameplay.

The problem there is everyones subjective opinion differs of whats acceptable, I wont have cheats and station griefers in my game anything else is fair though.

Others use the docking computer and so don't mind the rammers, yet object to ganking wings which I can understand but they don't bother me.

Its impossible/impractical for FDEV to arbitrate it so as with modes its left to the individual.

sorry but no, it isn't. sandro wanted it to be more in line with this ethos (hence the pp-open only fever) but that went nowhere. so even if it would make sense there is nothing official in that. in that sense pp isn't different from bgs, cz, missioning or a late navbeacon party.

so since blocking is a feature entirely at the discretion of the user there simply is no way to exploit it: absolutely all blocking is exactly as valid as playing in any combination of game modes.

I think you are mistaken. I'm talking about Open in Powerplay now as the feature stands.

Why would you use block to escape combat in a feature that is about having the chance of sanctioned combat? Why are you not using Solo or PG? The whole point of being in Open in Powerplay today is to meet others, rivals and all.

Well, if Frontier made PP "Open-only, no-blocking" I would not complain. However, I'm not under the impression that Frontier cares about PP, and therefore neither do I.

But the point still stands- rather than have a blunt instrument it needs refinement to do its job.

The problem there is everyones subjective opinion differs of whats acceptable, I wont have cheats and station griefers in my game anything else is fair though.

Others use the docking computer and so don't mind the rammers, yet object to ganking wings which I can understand but they don't bother me.

Its impossible/impractical for FDEV to arbitrate it so as with modes its left to the individual.

It is terrifyingly simple in Powerplay- you pledge, you are a target. Its why I like the idea of splitting message blocking from actual shooty shooty because in parts of the game shooty shooty is the game (while abusive language obviously is not). If you don't like other players shooting at you, then drop to PG or Solo (which ironically would not block hate speech since its now pan modal).

Why would you use block to escape combat in a feature that is about having the chance of sanctioned combat? Why are you not using Solo or PG? The whole point of being in Open in Powerplay today is to meet others, rivals and all.

you are judging intentions. exploits are actions. the blocking feature is not restricted in any way in the rules or in the game (as opposed to menu log, the euphemism of combat log officially sanctioned). i haven't seen the slightest indication of blocking being unwanted in any circumstance, so i don't see how frontier could sanction any use of it as exploit except getting very creative and contradicting.

don't get me wrong, i do think blocking shouldn't even exist, and there should be sacred direct conflict scenarios in the game where such had no place, but there aren't.

Who is this mythical "you"? I've not seen anyone in this thread advocate using block in the method you're describing, yet you keep tilting at this windmill as if it's the entire focus of the thread and the ruination of Power Play. Surely PP has much bigger issues to be sweating over than this.

If someone kills me. I block them. They have killed me, I am dead to them.

If they wanted to maintain a relationship, talk with me, be my friend, wing up for a mission, why did they kill me?
They kill everyone they encounter then wonder why there is no one left to kill.

You can only kill me once. (Unless you make it interesting - then you get a friend request)

Who is this mythical "you"? I've not seen anyone in this thread advocate using block in the method you're describing, yet you keep tilting at this windmill as if it's the entire focus of the thread and the ruination of Power Play. Surely PP has much bigger issues to be sweating over than this.

I'm highlighting the flaw in your argument that block is universally 'good' when it needs extra consideration. I bring it up because over the years I've seen the feature exploited in PP. Plus, the thread is titled 'Blocking in ED'- Powerplay is in ED the last time I checked, so is it not wise to talk about all its features?

you are judging intentions. exploits are actions. the blocking feature is not restricted in any way in the rules or in the game (as opposed to menu log, the euphemism of combat log officially sanctioned). i haven't seen the slightest indication of blocking being unwanted in any circumstance, so i don't see how frontier could sanction any use of it as exploit except getting very creative and contradicting.

don't get me wrong, i do think blocking shouldn't even exist, and there should be sacred direct conflict scenarios in the game where such had no place, but there aren't.

But deliberately screening out certain Powers players you meet is an exploit, is it not?

But deliberately screening out certain Powers players you meet is an exploit, is it not?

i'm afraid not. how is it different from switching to solo? i totally get your point but my point is that that ship already sailed with modes, and frontier not leaving the tiniest split open for you to make a case here.

if they change this, then maybe!

add: i mean, if this behavior becomes commonplace and starts producing a 1 man instance galore in open, maybe even starts to affect servers, then possibly frontier could come to the conclusion that it wasn't such a good idea, and starts setting some directives. but we are not there yet?

If someone kills me. I block them. They have killed me, I am dead to them.

If they wanted to maintain a relationship, talk with me, be my friend, wing up for a mission, why did they kill me?
They kill everyone they encounter then wonder why there is no one left to kill.

You can only kill me once. (Unless you make it interesting - then you get a friend request)
I chuckled reading this, unfortunately I can't challenge the logic in the least!

I'm glad the friend I play online with meets with your second definition - having 'accidentally' (honestly!) killed him at least 3 times when 'messing around' :)

Top Bottom