Blocking in Elite Dangerous

I’ll always be part of the ‘be a sport’ camp, and encourage people to do Powerplay in Open, and not block enemies from other factions.

Totally agree with this. If I ever dabble with powerplay I would have to restrict blocking to none aligned cmdrs.

To be honest, since I began the #reverseironman philosophy (catchy, thanks for the credit @Old Duck ) I’ve only had to use it twice. There are a lot of noble pirates out there. Even at the II which really surprised me.

Blocking should only block coms, not instancing. Instance blocking is being abused by many. One over-the-top example of abuse is someone in my squadron has been blocked by a commander because he did not o7 him enough. Really. I'm not making that up. Then there is the fact that whole squadrons are being blocked because they try to interfere with their ganking.

You should show a little more sympathy for the ganking community - it must be hurtful to know that another player can reject their amorous advances so completely - and there is nothing that they can do about it...
Maybe you misunderstood. It's the gankers who are blocking those who organize to try to prevent them from ganking.

o7 CMDR! :) I say, o7 CMDR!! :) EXCUSE ME, I SAID O7 COM-MAN-DER!
It is pretty great. And it is a classic example of abuse. You give players too much power and they will of course abuse it. Good job F Dup.
At first I was laughing at the idea that he didn't o7 but it's the thought he didn't o7 ENOUGH.

Who sets such a limit?

If I don't get four o7's out this guy, he can go on my block list.

You should show a little more sympathy for the ganking community - it must be hurtful to know that another player can reject their amorous advances so completely - and there is nothing that they can do about it...

You are correct. In my haste to laugh, I forgot to show empathy.

I shall take myself outside and thrash myself with twigs.

I thank you for the reprimand. I will learn to be a better human for it.

o7

(waits for o7 reply....)

o7 CMDR! :) I say, o7 CMDR!! :) EXCUSE ME, I SAID O7 COM-MAN-DER!

At first I was laughing at the idea that he didn't o7 but it's the thought he didn't o7 ENOUGH.

Who sets such a limit?

If I don't get four o7's out this guy, he can go on my block list.
No idea. But he caused a real drama in-game and on Inara over it. I have screen shots. He was removed from the squadron of course. And I could name the commander who did it and then you could ask him. But then I would be forum banned or something. Maybe a PM would work?

I started a few in the past, what happens is furious open only proponents (who failed to do pre-purchase research) will show up and call you all sorts of names trying to close down the thread because (in their own words) they really don't want players to know that block exists at all. They will also tell you its your fault and/or a mod conspiracy when they get in trouble for constantly calling you names.

:D👍.
Indeed. Trolling a thread in to a frenzy and the inevitable lock/block used to be all the rage. Ah, the good old days.

Okayyyy, I didn't know this was a thing until I stumbled upon this thread. Had to go look up what "Blocking" is. Since I have never played in Open, I had never known of this feature. Do people use this feature a lot? Wouldn't it just be easier to go to a PG or solo?

You are correct. In my haste to laugh, I forgot to show empathy.

I shall take myself outside and thrash myself with twigs.

I thank you for the reprimand. I will learn to be a better human for it.

o7

(waits for o7 reply....)
I think you know my 'ways' by now :)

Everyone is entitled to play their own way - I support that wholeheartedly and without bias (look at the crowd my main account hangs with) - so misreading the comment wasa bit of a surprise :eek:

Make sure those twigs are dry, by the way, if they are wet it stings...

You jest?
Wouldn't that screw up their own instancing completely too (the gankers) - as well as those trying to prevent them?

I didn't, honestly, expect that!
Not at all. The anti-ganker squadron is all bocked allowing the ganking squadron to operate without their interference.

No idea. But he caused a real drama in-game and on Inara over it. I have screen shots. He was removed from the squadron of course. And I could name the commander who did it and then you could ask him. But then I would be forum banned or something. Maybe a PM would work?
I don't play in OPEN so it's no use me knowing their name.

I have to admit, I am for the block function but I think it has to be for stronger things that not returning a wave.

I also think it has to be for stronger things than being blown up.

But I digress.

Okayyyy, I didn't know this was a thing until I stumbled upon this thread. Had to go look up what "Blocking" is. Since I have never played in Open, I had never known of this feature. Do people use this feature a lot? Wouldn't it just be easier to go to a PG or solo?
Unbelievable, right? I mean blocking comms would be understandable and something most MMOs do. But blocking instancing? In a game that has instancing problems up the ying-yang?

There should only be two modes in the game: Open and Private Group. You can block people from messaging in the comms in open, but you cannot block them from appearing in your instance. If you don't want to get instanced with someone create your private group with friends or join one which prohibits ganking. If you don't want to meet anyone at all and play "solo" create your own PG and keep it empty - that's how it should've been from the start.

While we're at it combat logging could also be fixed that way. Logging out during combat in open will cause your ship to remain in that instance, but you will simply lose control until you log back in again. Private group owners will be able to set whether their private group allows people to combat log or not.

Simple and streamlined, and no "filter out all the bad guys" or "whoops my internet connection went you'll get me next time lol" poopoo. This is supposed to be Elite Dangerous after all. ;)

Top Bottom