Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)

Well...

It's night right now at the crash site. Of course, I didn't allow a little thing like it being pitch black out there stop me, so I foolishly tried to run the course anyways.

31 minutes later, me and my extremely battered SRV limped back into the research facility, never seeing the [alien] crash site, despite being right underneath the Capital Ship. It doesn't show up on the WAVE scanner either. Boo. :(

On a positive note, my SRV can apparently tumble end over end over end in VR, and I won't get sick. Yay. :p

If I'm reading this correctly, this moon's day is about 34 hours long. From what I can see, it's only a couple of hours past sunset right now. If my calculations are correct, there won't be daylight when I can drive for at least three days.

:mad: Argh. [mad]

Here's hoping I'm wrong about this, otherwise I may be doing some exploring rather than some racing for a while.

I'm not currently planning on making any day/night dispensations (although I reserve the right to tweak the rules later) but I have changed the submission guidelines to ask that people let me know in their submission whether it was a day or night run and I'll include a little day/night marker on the leaderboard.

Spent this mornings game time searching for the starting point. If anyone else is having trouble finding it, the "garage" under pad 5 (medium) seems to fit Alec's video and images.

See you out there. I'll be in my SRV "Snowmobile".

Spent this mornings game time searching for the starting point. If anyone else is having trouble finding it, the "garage" under pad 5 (medium) seems to fit Alec's video and images.

See you out there. I'll be in my SRV "Snowmobile".

Any garage will do (i.e. whichever one you end up in, having landed your ship and deployed the srv). All garages are equal (although some are more equal than others). ;)

Last edited:
Don't know if anyone listens to the Lave Radio podcast but I just wanted to pass on my thanks to Pete Wotherspoon for his brilliant, politically correct, interpretation on the rules of this race as featured in his wonderful weekly Galnet News round-up feature this week.

Hope he won't object to me including the clip here ...

[video=youtube_share;M3PD_yINxc0]https://youtu.be/M3PD_yINxc0[/video]

Last edited:
Hello again ..
I change my graphics setting like this post:
https://www.reddit.com/r/EliteDangerous/comments/4vc5fn/so_i_edited_the_graphics_config_file/

And it's not the same game watch..
https://youtu.be/8AbkSBbCdVM

Let's go ride

That looks absolutely stunning! Not sure the brightness of the galactic core is realistic, but definitely stunning. Some nice ridge running there! o7

- - - Updated - - -

I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because someone needs to challenge sushicw.

Welcome. Is nookiemrsmith your Cmdr name too? Also, what's the name of your SRV?

I want to take part in "Kick the Alien" because someone needs to challenge sushicw.

Oh snap, we're in for it now. :) That "I'm just practicing" vid up above was also pretty intimidating, so this should get very exciting I expect!

EDIT: The sordid history of Nookie kicking my butt, for anyone interested. :)

- - - Updated - - -

LOL ... are you sure that SRV is even roadworthy? It's wheels look kinda loose to me.

Re: repairs ... yes, they're allowed, no penalty. In fact, if you watch closely, I actually do a repair in my demonstration video.

Maybe have "no repairs" as an optional extra challenge like the day/night thing? It really is a gamechanger, especially at the higher speed levels... Understandably it's unenforceable for screenshot-based proofs, but we're all classy ladies & gentlemen here so I don't think that's really a concern.

Last edited:
Starting grid updated.

T minus 7hrs until start gates are officially open!

[video=youtube_share;ziuLqY6TloM]https://youtu.be/ziuLqY6TloM[/video]

Good luck commanders!

Last edited:
Alec,

I hope you got good footage of my... what was it? Triple somersault into a dark gorge?

It's funny. From the sky the ground looks dimly lit. But from the ground, you can't see anything.

At least THIS practice run I managed to find the alien wreckage. And it only took an hour. :rolleyes:

7Ou9XHx.png

It looks like it is midnight at the crash site, so I doubt it'll be light before I need to turn in. I want to SEE the course before I try another run in the darkness. Time for some supper, and then maybe some scans of the local systems.

Alec,

I hope you got good footage of my... what was it? Triple somersault into a dark gorge?

It's funny. From the sky the ground looks dimly lit. But from the ground, you can't see anything.

At least THIS practice run I managed to find the alien wreckage. And it only took an hour. :rolleyes:

It looks like it is midnight at the crash site, so I doubt it'll be light before I need to turn in. I want to SEE the course before I try another run in the darkness. Time for some supper, and then maybe some scans of the local systems.

That triple somersault was spectacular. Unfortunately ... I hadn't turned on the frickin' video capture - nooooo :)mad:). I did turn it on a bit later and now have some good footage of you, Edelgard and Admiral Spoon so I'll try and edit that together into something over the weekend. Probably won't post it until Monday because my mp3 library is at work (and of course I'm gonna slap a soundtrack on it as usual).

The light was weird ... you know I think maybe the light was fading while we were there because it was really clear when I first arrived just before 8pm.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone and hopefully (I'm quite busy) I'll manage to post some daily scoreboard updates.

P.S. a word of warning ... the Buckyball race Marshals are a tad trigger happy (think they might have been at the Stella) so if you seriously value your ship then I wouldn't take it anywhere near them if I were you. I think Edelgard must've stirred them up with his SLF but they turned on me ... ME! I'm the goddam organiser. Anyway, I made it back to the base with 35% and then hid inside for 5 minutes. When I came out they were waiting for me. I stupidly hit launch by mistake and the swines chased me for about 10km while I tried to lose them in the canyons. Eventually had to jump out with just 18% hull left. It reminded me of when the Rollling Stones employed the Hell's Angels to run their security at Altamont. I think I've made a terrible mistake and can only apologise on their behalf for any damage they might cause.

Hang on ... did you mean this?

https://youtu.be/wUtuEwGW97o

:D

That would be the one. I kind of wish I'd recorded it at my end, but I didn't want to tempt fate by playing in VR on the planet while recording at the same time. I only have a vanilla GTX 980, and I consider myself fortunate that I can get the performance I can from that card.

I do have to say that the lighting looks a LOT brighter from your point of view than it did in my SRV. I felt like I was driving in near-pitch blackness.

Alright, time to see if I can make a daylight run.

edit:

Approaching the moon from the poles, it looks like there's another five or six hours left of night. I look forward to seeing this area in the daylight.

Last edited:
It seems that morning is coming to the Noctrach-Ihazevich Research Facility and soon it will be much brighter. I tried to drive about 14 hours ago and there was really dark. It says that day period is about 1.4 days on this planet.

email sent with screenshots.
The email address you give in the OP wasn't receiving? I used alec<dot>turner at buckbyallracing etc. and that worked.
I need more materials for SRV repairs so I'm going to take a break. I had to repair 5 times! I'm really terrible at this but my time was better than my practice run yesterday, so I aim to give it another attempt at some point.
Good luck to everyone else racing!

Top Bottom