Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club Presents: Kick the Alien (and run like hell)

It seems that morning is coming to the Noctrach-Ihazevich Research Facility and soon it will be much brighter.
*Adds data point to calculations*

Crap. If I'm right about this, it may be local winter at the crash site. Thankfully, a nearly 34 hour long day means that there should be able to enjoy daylight at some point during the week. Even better, my boss will be letting me go home a few hours early today... so I may be able to get in a "waypoint" run in preparation for night runs, as well as a regular daytime run.

email sent with screenshots.
The email address you give in the OP wasn't receiving? I used alec<dot>turner at buckbyallracing etc. and that worked.
Whoops, thanks for spotting that. Now fixed.

I need more materials for SRV repairs so I'm going to take a break. I had to repair 5 times! I'm really terrible at this but my time was better than my practice run yesterday, so I aim to give it another attempt at some point.
That's the spirit!

- - - Updated - - -

I do have to say that the lighting looks a LOT brighter from your point of view than it did in my SRV. I felt like I was driving in near-pitch blackness.

Have you tried turning up the gamma correction (in the graphics settings), can really help for night time racing.

Recouc ..

Alec did you recive my email ?

No. I did have the wrong email address in the OP. Could you try again now (or else send me a pm). I'm preparing the day #1 scoreboard right now.

Non. J'ai eu l'adresse e-mail fausse dans le OP. Pourriez-vous essayer à nouveau maintenant (ou bien envoyez-moi un pm). Je prépare le tableau de bord # 1 en ce moment.

Last edited:
And they're off!

It's 7.5hrs to go until the end of day #1 but now's a convenient time to post an early scoreboard so here we go.

54rUJ6U.png

Wasting absolutely no time whatsoever, at 1 minute past midnight Admiral Spoon headed out from his garage in the Mud Crab and just 13 minutes and 19 seconds later was safely parked up again with the first number #1 spot of the race nicely in the bag. That's one hell of a time to have as the first entry on the scoreboard! Congratulations.

Next up was Markzx59. Waiting until just gone 7am the next morning, Mark has grabbed himself a fine early placement on the board with a time of 20:46. Not too bad but still plenty of room for improvement.

And finally, at just gone 2pm this afternoon, Edelgard Von Rhein, showing true Buckyball spirit after no less than 5 repairs, managed a time of 30:25 despite being an inexperienced SRV driver at the best of times (let alone under race conditions and at night). Well done, a valiant effort! (I do hope it hasn't put you off the SRV for ever).

Apologies to Cmdr Reloooops whose first race submission appears to have gone missing in witchspace. Whatever surprises he has in store for us will have to wait until tomorrow.

Until then, KICK IT commanders!

o/

It doesn't take long to get Nickel and Iron when mining pristine metallic planetary rings, so I've got enough for more than a dozen SRV repairs now. I need to let other people use the family pc for a bit, so I might either race again tomorrow or an evening or two next week when it's free. Always hoping that the terrain generation problem on my laptop gets fixed but I suspect it will be a couple more weeks before another patch is released; in the meantime I can try the passenger missions. (For reference, I did my mining in the A ring of planet 4 in HIP 15279, close to the border of the bubble on the Pleiades side. This ring also has several other useful elements: I found Ge, Mn, Nb, Se and W (Tungsten).)
Thanks to CMDR reloooops for trying to offer some helpful hints when I was racing! I was having trouble just maintaining my direction: I need to check my keybindings for better control as I only seemed to get upwards thrust working, which was just enough to right my SRV on the numerous occasions I rolled it over! Also, great to see some early activity on the board; good times too o7

OMG! How did you do it in 13 minutes!? My run took 26 min 16 sec, but I want to improve my result.

I only seemed to get upwards thrust working
And is there another thrust except 'forward'? Can't find anything about that in setup, only pitch and roll.

Last edited:
*Deploys Prospector 1*

"Alright! Daylight run, here I come!"

*Heads straight for crash site...*

-=} Three Long Tumbles Later... {=-

"Okay, I'm beginning to see why I had so much trouble on my practice runs. It wasn't as much the dark, as it was my strategy."

-=} Five Minutes Later {=-

"Where the frell did this cliff come from?"

-=} Ten Agonizing Minutes Later {=-

"Now where did they hide the alien crash site this time?"

-=} Much Looking Around Later {=-

"Finally! Screen shot... and... let's head back!"

*Looks at potential routes back to base.*

"That way looks easiest!"

-=} Hilarity Ensues {=-

Noctrach-Ihazevich Research Facility Evening News

Rescue ships were dispatched to retrieve Buckyball Racer Inga Stevenson. Commander Stevenson had somehow managed to lodge her SRV, Prospector 1, in a deep ravine between two boulders. The dazed Imperial pilot, suffering from exposure and minor oxygen deprivation, objected to her rescue, saying, "But sardines dance the macarena!"

Commander Stevenson is expected to make a full recovery.

*Deploys Prospector 1*

"Alright! Daylight run, here I come!"

*Heads straight for crash site...*

-=} Three Long Tumbles Later... {=-

"Okay, I'm beginning to see why I had so much trouble on my practice runs. It wasn't as much the dark, as it was my strategy."

-=} Five Minutes Later {=-

"Where the frell did this cliff come from?"

-=} Ten Agonizing Minutes Later {=-

"Now where did they hide the alien crash site this time?"

-=} Much Looking Around Later {=-

"Finally! Screen shot... and... let's head back!"

*Looks at potential routes back to base.*

"That way looks easiest!"

-=} Hilarity Ensues {=-

During my run I actually gave up at one point and decided the alien wreckage had been kidnapped by aliens. Went hunting a meteorite sig on the scanner, gave up on that and continued the race lol.

Eventually found the wreckage.

It's getting darker there... Well, made another run and being rolling down the hill once again I finally realized that the name for my SRV is ... Tumbleweed! :) Please, note this in the racing scoreboard.
My today's result is 22 minutes and 27 seconds. Here're screenshots: http://imgur.com/a/aKAT0 This time can be improved of course and maybe I'll try another run. But now I need some rest from all these cliffs and hills and rollings down. Ahh!!! Lovely space is waiting for me!

OMG! How did you do it in 13 minutes!? My run took 26 min 16 sec, but I want to improve my result.

And is there another thrust except 'forward'? Can't find anything about that in setup, only pitch and roll.

There's the jump booster thingy, that lets you go up. If you tilt forward and use it midair it also accelerates you forward a bit (not much, but it adds up over time).

For "how to do it quickly" I've got a video I've uploaded of my run, hopefully it will give people an idea or two:

[video=youtube_share;NTkzwDFDGng]https://youtu.be/NTkzwDFDGng[/video]

Last edited:
Gina Muad'Ganda: Welcome, race fans, to another *cue music* Buckyball Run: SRV edition! Up next is Commander Inga Stevenson in Prospector 1! I know the doctors said she's ready to drive, but she looks a little unsteady on her feet to me.

Hiro Yamada: She looks a little unsteady at the controls too. Not a good start, spinning out right from the hanger.

Gina: Quick recovery, though. Looks like she's avoiding the gorge. That bit of geography has caused her all sorts of trouble since she landed on this rock. Staying at the rim until the last minute isn't a winning strategy, but she needs to at least finish the course to place.

Hiro: Right you are, and it looks like she's already on her first tumble! Gina, start the somersault counter:

Somersault counter: 1! 2!

Gina: She managed to land on her wheels, though, so she didn't lose too much time!

Somersault counter: 3!

Gina: Landing upside down, on the other hand...

Hiro: And she's back on course once again... and clipping a boulder causes her to spin out this time. She isn't losing much momentum, though.

Gina: Probably she's sliding down the side of the slope.

Somersault counter: 4! 5! 6!

Hiro: And she's tumbling!

Somersault counter: 7!

Hiro: And spinning!

Somersault counter: 8! 9!

Gina: We now take you live to the Buckyball Race Marshal, who is observing Commander Stevenson's driving via remote VR. Sir, would you mind telling us what you're seeing?

Buckyball Race Marshal: *vomits*

Hiro: That reminds me! Today's race was brought to you by Shinrarta Pizza! It's fast, or it's free!

Gina: She's regained control again, and is approaching the alien wreckage. And she starts sliding again!

Hiro: No, THAT was a controlled slide. And a nicely done one too. She's takes her picture, and with a reverse slide, she's racing back up the hill!

Gina: She seems to be in much better control this time.

Hiro: Spoke too soon?

Gina: Spoke too soon. She's taking a bit more of a circular course back to the finish line, but the time she's losing to the greater distance, she's gaining from NOT losing control as much.

Hiro: Prospector 1 got some good air time there.

Somersault Counter: I'm bored!

Gina: There, there, counter. I'm sure she'll screw up again.

Hiro: She's halfway home now! She had a couple of minor spin outs, but no tumbles yet! And look! Noctrach-Ihazevich Research Facility is welcoming her back with fire works!

Gina: I think the Buckyball Race Marshals are firing at something, Hiro.

Hiro: That they are.

Somersault Counter: 10!

Gina: I figured she was about due by now. She's entered the base, and is heading back to the garage! She's doing another sliding turn... no, she's just spinning out again... a quick recovery, and she's late on the brakes. The maintenance staff is going to have to clean that mess up.

Hiro: Her official time is?

Buckyball Race Marshal: 21 minutes, 53 seconds.

Gina: This has been another Buckyball Run: SRV Edition!

Hiro: Thank you for watching everyone! Good night!

Gina Muad'Ganda: Welcome, race fans, to another *cue music* Buckyball Run: SRV edition! Up next is Commander Inga Stevenson in Prospector 1! I know the doctors said she's ready to drive, but she looks a little unsteady on her feet to me.

Bravo, I love this coverage.

Quick question: Does anyone know if intact barnacles are still around? I failed my first attempt because my SRV went boom (after reaching the crash site in 5 minutes! :'( ), so I'm looking for barnacles to mine for mats, because I'm lazy.

Couc a tous ..

The run of sushiCW another camera angle..

https://youtu.be/7SBv30nOzf4

Alec i resand a email did you catch it ?
Good ride a tous

Hah! You caught my barrel-roll at the end! I didn't realize you were filming me. :) You got a good angle too!

That was my run #2, more or less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question: Does anyone know if intact barnacles are still around? I failed my first attempt because my SRV went boom (after reaching the crash site in 5 minutes! :'( ), so I'm looking for barnacles to mine for mats, because I'm lazy.

If you just want SRV repair materials, all you need is Iron and Nickel which are extremely easy to get nearly everywhere.

Top Bottom