Community Event / Creation Buckyball Racing Club presents The IronBucky - A BRC standing challenge

OK, submitted the race also with local time. And I have to admit that I clicked repair at my first return to Brash Dock out of habit. I recognized that when I skimmed through my journal file.
Anyway. For me it is no problem if the run doesn't count. I wanted to have the experience primarily for myself.

Hi @Vasquess welcome to the BRC.
Unfortunately, as you've probably guessed I'll have to disqualify your run due the repair made. I feel really bad, but I have to be strict about the rules for the standing challenges, especially banning repairs in the IronBucky. :(

Your Cobra Classic run had an excellent time of 02:02:00, which would have been the leading Classic time, so I do hope that you have another go sometime.

I'm feeling extra guilty, because I had considered allowing repairs to be made at Bash Dock when I launched this as a standing challenge, but decided against it to keep the rules as close as possible to the original.

So congratulations on a great run, and I'm glad your Cmdr managed to survive the IronBucky, sorry that I can't add you onto the leaderboard.

Last edited:
To clarify about registering run times, and preregistering for the event. We use in-game time for everything in the BRC, as our events are nearly always time-trials using screenshots of the in-game clock.

However, the main purpose of the preregistration is to make each and every IronBucky run meaningful, as you are committed to logging a result for every registration. So I'll never be too fussed it someone accidentally commits to making a run using local-time. Starting a run and being committed to completing it (after the 15 minute grace period) is what counts.

I'll update the forms later though, to clarify that times are in-game / UTC time. :)

Absolutley no problem!!! I really think you have to stick to the rules. Otherwise it would start endless discussion with players whether "this" or "that" shloud be accepetd... And I probably will try it again some time.
But currently I left the bubble to go out into the black again. It has become so extraordinarily quiet in the Bubble lately that there is little danger of missing something. Now IMHO it's time...

I've actually (subject to adjudication) completed a run!

Even when blowing up close to Ferguson on the Wasat run that was wicked fun, only needed/wanted to get it right once.

(no one tell Shaye this race exists till the board's updated kk? thanks!)

IronBucky Update – 18th March 3306

And... we have a new leader!

Congratulations to Cmdr @Sgurr who not only takes top spot from @Bruski on the IronBucky Open Unlimited with a magnificent run of 01:07:40 in his Asp Explorer, The Burbling Purr, but also becomes the first Cmdr of the current challenge to surpass Cmdr Tannik Seldon's (@SushiCW) fastest IronBucky SRV time from Fat Tony's original Festival of Racing – smashing the ten minute barrier with an SRV stage time of 09:18.

Sgurr also smashed a few SRVs, becoming the second most reckless Cmdr in the event after @Alec Turner and bring the overall event success rate down to less than 30% - Little Nuk loves that. :love:

Open_Unlimited.png

SRV_Section.png

Success_Rate.png

Attempts.png

Thanks Raiko/Alec, got v.lucky with the SRV landings, (would folk be interested in the vid of the Wasat section?)

Something I can't emulate is how quick folk are with the ship/station sections. I think I'm going fast yet I'm losing minutes. Clearly need to watch more station approach tutorials.
Also, kudos to all those who completed their first (and only) run, competency way beyond my understanding.

Edit: oh and
@Raiko soon as I finish my current planetary circumnavigation expect that success rate to start dropping considerably! :ROFLMAO:
awesome :LOL:

Last edited:
Was interesting watching this back (I usually only grab evidence screenshots) and I had no clue about the landings in 2D, they came out of nowhere.
I do this in VR and I can't help think it gives me an edge sighting the distance and angle of landings, but because I almost never play 2D I'm not really able to compare.
I wouldn't think it right if having VR gave me an unfair advantage.

Anyway, video's up:
Source: https://youtu.be/wHRijOxQpU0

Actually Raiko, I'd like you to remove my entry from the board please, at least until someone who isn't using VR beats or gets close to it.

I've just spent an hour in 2D trying to use the same shallow bounce technique and they were ridiculously poor, I was bouncing all over the place getting damaged even though I thought they were decent landings. Didn't finish a single run and most were over <10km from Elwood.
Maybe it's the Kumay's worth of 3D practice but right now I'm having a hard time believing VR isn't an unfair advantage for me in this particular race wrt minimising damage, even compared to Pomeche for example.

Actually Raiko, I'd like you to remove my entry from the board please, at least until someone who isn't using VR beats or gets close to it.

I've just spent an hour in 2D trying to use the same shallow bounce technique and they were ridiculously poor, I was bouncing all over the place getting damaged even though I thought they were decent landings. Didn't finish a single run and most were over <10km from Elwood.
Maybe it's the Kumay's worth of 3D practice but right now I'm having a hard time believing VR isn't an unfair advantage for me in this particular race wrt minimising damage, even compared to Pomeche for example.

It's nice of you to offer to remove your run, but I don't really see a need. I'll mark your entry as PC(VR) if you like, but whether VR is an advantage / disadvantage, compared to fast/slow PC / console isn't really a problem - our events are open to all entries regardless of hardware.

I know that Alec has VR, but prefers to race using TrackIR, and there are numerous very cheap alternatives to TrackIR (including FacetrackNOIR which I use), so your hardware advantage might not be as great as you think. :)

I'm with @Raiko on this - no need to remove that entry at all I think. As a case in point, it would be easy for me to think I had a significant advantage over Shaye Blackwood in the Pomeche Ridge challenge, the Cortes Base challenges and numerous other SRV events we've competed in, on the basis that a) I have analog steering (where he's limited to nudging the SRV around corners with taps of a key) and b) I have headlook (where he's forced to look at the ground rather than where he's going half the time). The truth is tho' that he's leaving me for dust in every single event! 😂 A bad workman shouldn't blame his tools, but a good workman shouldn't feel ashamed of them either!

Well, it's taken a while ... and cost a few SRVs!

ymtPNFY.png

ihvsUF7.png

qerYau7.png

jNM93P2.png

3NvivVn.png

b7r9NoX.png

BId2Q40.png

But I'm delighted to finally be able to say - new run submitted. Not a bad one either considering this happened.

Last edited:
You'd think, given the bobbleheads and the fact that I was literally chanting "refuel refuel refuel reful" as I approached the station, that I would have remembered to refuel. Damn that was close!

CwVwIgR.png

Anyway, hold that scoreboard update @Raiko ... I just submitted another run! (Yeah, I'm on a roll baby!)

Top Bottom