Cheating in Elite Dangerous

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I would also like confirmation on the use of Voice Attack and the HCS Voice Packs which are heavily automated including dock/undock, automated route plotting (including automated route plotting to all rngineers), automated pip-management, automated targeting and targeting of sub-systems, automated engine management, automated flight rotation and a whole host of other things it can do for you while you get on with something useful like cleaning the house or looking after the kids.

I fairly sure HCS must be authorised but in light of Wills response I'm not so sure.

I've done a search but come back empty. Does anyone have a citation?
You can use voice attack. As long as it doesn't appear on their server as some odd values on damage, resistance, energy, jump range etc..., the staff won't bother. But if someone reports you, they will look into it. No one will report you for using voice attack, as long as you don't use it to take advantage of an in-game exploit or bug that can be automated.

sollisb

Banned
You can use voice attack. As long as it doesn't appear on their server as some odd values on damage, resistance, energy, jump range etc..., the staff won't bother. But if someone reports you, they will look into it. No one will report you for using voice attack, as long as you don't use it to take advantage of an in-game exploit or bug that can be automated.

And here-in lies the problem!

On what authority do you make that statement?

Until Frontier Developments make an official statement regarding the use of Voice Attack, I am going to assume it is legal to use.

Here's the problem with your assertions;

1. VA allows the automation of many, many operations, all of which happen faster than any human can do it. therefore, those automations may show up on logs. Additionally, those automations give a distinct advantage.

2. Given VA is acceptable, is it also acceptable to inject/call/cause to happen, operations inside VA but caused externally? be careful here. Speech is external, but so is my Elite Web Server.

3. Is there a distinct list of things aka ' damage, resistance, energy, jump range etc' ? I see you mention them, but is that de'facto or you simply 'guessing'?

This is the exact problem with an EULA and a contrary set of 'acceptable usage' policy. On the face of it, VA is a simple Voice to operation analyser. For those of us with the abilities, it is the only the beginning.

Until Frontier Developments make an official statement regarding the use of Voice Attack, I am going to assume it is legal to use.

1. VA allows the automation of many, many operations, all of which happen faster than any human can do it. therefore, those automations may show up on logs. Additionally, those automations give a distinct advantage.

2. Given VA is acceptable, is it also acceptable to inject/call/cause to happen, operations inside VA but caused externally? be careful here. Speech is external, but so is my Elite Web Server.

3. Is there a distinct list of things aka ' damage, resistance, energy, jump range etc' ? I see you mention them, but is that de'facto or you simply 'guessing'?

This is the exact problem with an EULA and a contrary set of 'acceptable usage' policy. On the face of it, VA is a simple Voice to operation analyser. For those of us with the abilities, it is the only the beginning.
If they see your actions in the server statistics as abnormal, they will investigate.
Also, you don't need to know the specifics. That's their business and secret to catch the cheaters. Leaving the player in doubt is a good way to keep them in line.
If you use Voice attack to combo actions faster than humanly possible, you should know your are being eligible to be considered a cheater. It's your choice, you risk it or not.
In my case, using Autohotkey to make macros, I always ensure there's a proper timing between key combinations, to make the scripts effective.
Ex: I use autohotkey to keep a tiny window of the game visible when multitasking during a hyperjump. One click of a keyboard key will immediately open the elite game window, and set the throttle to zero (to avoid crashing into stars).

From reading both here and in the other thread where Brett responded my impression is that while VA may violate the EULA it isn't as much of an issue as the trainers are from Frontiers pov at this time. While it may give a player an advantage over another not using VA it's not on the same level as the trainers that are allowing for ship stats and abilites beyond what FDev have placed into the game.

They probably won't endorse VA for the simple reason that at some point in the future we might get crossplay etc at which time console users might be at a distinct disadvantage. At that point FDev might have to adopt a stance and decide to ban their usage but for now the trainers are by far the bigger issue and probably where the Devs are focusing their efforts.

This is all speculation on my part, but as somebody else mentioned FDev are probably reluctant to draw a firm line in the sand as things change as the game evolves. What is accepted, or at least tolerated today, might well become the focus for the ban-hammer in the future.

Even DB uses VA so it must be ok. ;)

My issue with this is not with adults who knowingly cheat, but kids. Yes, cheating is wrong for everyone. But I think it would be kinda rough if someone from the community would come home and find his entire account wiped and blocked just because Billy the 8 year old wanted to get infinite shields so he could pancake a ship into a planet over and over for a few minutes. Sure, 'parents should be aware of what their kids do', and 'password-protect your apps' and all that, but I dont really have a problem with giving a warning once.

I mean, in the end it is just a game.

I have 6 kids. People need to teach their kids right from wrong. We do. The least of my worries if I found one of my kids cheated in an online game with other ppl involved would be my account being banned. I do not consider this a reason to not ban accounts. Parents are responsible for their kids’ actions and we are all responsible for our own account security.

My kids have their own accounts. The game is cheap enough on sale that anyone with a PC and internet connection can afford it.

sollisb

Banned
If they see your actions in the server statistics as abnormal, they will investigate.
Also, you don't need to know the specifics. That's their business and secret to catch the cheaters. Leaving the player in doubt is a good way to keep them in line.
If you use Voice attack to combo actions faster than humanly possible, you should know your are being eligible to be considered a cheater. It's your choice, you risk it or not.
In my case, using Autohotkey to make macros, I always ensure there's a proper timing between key combinations, to make the scripts effective.
Ex: I use autohotkey to keep a tiny window of the game visible when multitasking during a hyperjump. One click of a keyboard key will immediately open the elite game window, and set the throttle to zero (to avoid crashing into stars).

Sorry, but that is a pile of utter drivel. An EULA is a legal understanding between the issuer and the user. There is no wiggle room and no room for keeping stuff 'hidden' which may, if enforced, cause a court case. 'leaving the player in doubt' is a great way to find yourself paying the players legal fees.

Here's a topical example. DB is know to have used VA with Elite Dangerous, so that would suggest to any layman that VA is a valid tool to use in combination with Elite Dangerous. While no explicit use or denial of allowance to use exists, it would be seen in any court as a valid assumption by any layman. Further; To then try to establish that VA is valid while only using speech, would again fail, as again, there is no explicit valid usage policy.

To use your assumed 'leave the player in doubt' is like posting no speed restriction signs, and then fining all motorists travelling over some speed that they were never warned about.

Contrary to your armchair analysis, the proper way is to explicitly state, so there can be no wiggle room, what is allowed and what is not. These explicits can be 'catch all' which does reduce player 'comfort use' but does cover the company explicitly.

All I can take from this is that you know nothing about the law, and are guessing the rest.

I am unaware of the exact data that can be extrapolated, but I am curious to know if there's some way to determine either the strength of another ship's shields, or if hit, how much damage was done?

Of course I don't want to know How, just if it's possible... An cheat report tool could be made with such info...

sollisb

Banned
Right there. That's the issue. Trainers are the bad boys. And Frontier will shadow ban anyone detected using them.

Correct 'trainers' are bad and are explicitly cheating and in breach of EULA by virtue of the fact that they inject values to circumvent the various stats the company has allowed for correct usage of their game/sim As for the rest it is makey uppy. You have no clue what Frontier will do.

sollisb

Banned
I am unaware of the exact data that can be extrapolated, but I am curious to know if there's some way to determine either the strength of another ship's shields, or if hit, how much damage was done?

Of course I don't want to know How, just if it's possible... An cheat report tool could be made with such info...

Is it possible, yes. Is it legal, absolutely not.

There is a portion in the EULA which covers the modification/reverse engineering of the game/sim code and the memory space it occupies while in use.

But again, this has been flaunted and allowed to pass. Most recent breach of this I saw was players posting graphics which were extracted from embedded imagery in the published game. This was then posted to Reddit and claimed as a 'leak' as the next iteration of Thargoid or alien life.

I think a problem here is its not easy to determine if another app is simply Peeking (see what I did there...) into memory and retrieving data. Poking data (I did it again...) is more obvious and can be detected, but unless another tool was running that watched every process being run (ala Blizzard) I'm not sure what can be done..

Unless such a tool was widely advertised and the person responsible easily identified of course...

Sorry, but that is a pile of utter drivel. An EULA is a legal understanding between the issuer and the user. There is no wiggle room and no room for keeping stuff 'hidden' which may, if enforced, cause a court case. 'leaving the player in doubt' is a great way to find yourself paying the players legal fees.

Here's a topical example. DB is know to have used VA with Elite Dangerous, so that would suggest to any layman that VA is a valid tool to use in combination with Elite Dangerous. While no explicit use or denial of allowance to use exists, it would be seen in any court as a valid assumption by any layman. Further; To then try to establish that VA is valid while only using speech, would again fail, as again, there is no explicit valid usage policy.

To use your assumed 'leave the player in doubt' is like posting no speed restriction signs, and then fining all motorists travelling over some speed that they were never warned about.

Contrary to your armchair analysis, the proper way is to explicitly state, so there can be no wiggle room, what is allowed and what is not. These explicits can be 'catch all' which does reduce player 'comfort use' but does cover the company explicitly.

All I can take from this is that you know nothing about the law, and are guessing the rest.
I see you have a love relation with EULA. Good for you. Hope she reciprocates.

sollisb

Banned
I think a problem here is its not easy to determine if another app is simply Peeking (see what I did there...) into memory and retrieving data. Poking data (I did it again...) is more obvious and can be detected, but unless another tool was running that watched every process being run (ala Blizzard) I'm not sure what can be done..

Unless such a tool was widely advertised and the person responsible easily identified of course...

The wow GameGuardian? That lasted about 20 minutes until I disabled it.

The wow GameGuardian? That lasted about 20 minutes until I disabled it.
Never done that. Would the game still play after you disabled the GameGuardian?
Elite seems to use Watchdog. I remember playing an old online multiplayer game... don't remember which one, that used Watchdog to look for cheaters (was it fallout tactics??). The game was lagging, and I checked running processes. At the time I didn't know what Watchdog was, and I disabled it. The game stopped immediately, so I think both processes were linked.

sollisb

Banned
Never done that. Would the game still play after you disabled the GameGuardian?
Elite seems to use Watchdog. I remember playing an old online multiplayer game... don't remember which one, that used Watchdog to look for cheaters (was it fallout tactics??). The game was lagging, and I checked running processes. At the time I didn't know what Watchdog was, and I disabled it. The game stopped immediately, so I think both processes were linked.

It [GameGuardian] was disabled by replacing it with a known benign version. No company has the right to make determination, based on the running processes on your machine. Further, it would a direct breach of privacy. Also, at that time, gg was suspected of being malware.

At that particular point in my life I was writing add-ons for FlightSim so I had plenty of memory peekers running etc. The whole idea was to take data out of FlightSim and represent it on gauges and display panels and then inject data back into memory.

I have no idea if Elite uses anything. Either way it wouldn't get very far through my security and would most likely be quarantined by my root kits.

As for cheating in Elite I see no real point in it. There is no I win, and they've made everythign as easy as can be. I can imagine some kid who wants to be 'space god' possibly wantign huge shields etc.. Personally I use ELite as a flight Sim and little more and never play in Open. (too old for kiddies)

Recently, hacking has become more prevalent in Elite Dangerous, with multiple players running into invincible ships each week. This had been a problem in the past but kind of vanished for a bit but has seen a resurgence lately that can't be ignored anymore.

What do the hacks do?
There are multiple ones out there that are public that are easily detectable by FDev and regularly result in bans for the users. These are not the ones we are concerned with.

In late August 2018, one of my guys gained access to a private Discord for an Elite Dangerous trainer that was above and beyond every public one available to date. The level of customization present in this one allowed users to tweak nearly any aspect of their ship beyond what is possible in game. Max power plant output with perfect heat management, significantly more powerful drives, more weapon damage, stronger shields, etc. Any module could be tweaked within this cheat.

As a final insult to injury, this hack is also apparently able to change HUD color better than any other utility, allowing separate color settings for the UI and radar icons. FDev have been asked about adding options for colorblind players and mentioned that it "wasn't possible."

What does this mean for Elite?
Since I am a PvP player, I'll go over the PvP impacts first and cover PvE after.

The majority of encountered hackers use them in dumb ways that are brutally obvious. When you line up a volley of 5 PAs on an FDL, no matter how good the build is, you're going to be doing a ton of damage. When those shots land and the shields sit at 100% for the next 3 minutes after you're dumping volley after volley into them, that's pretty easy to catch, right? Those guys get reported and their names are spread far and wide pretty quickly.

The more insidious kind of hacker is one that knows about the game and can use this to their advantage. With a bit of knowledge about PvP builds, you could set up the hack so that it was basically undetectable by the opponents you were fighting. 5% more agility. 10% more damage. 20% more power output to let you run more power-hungry builds. Better heat management. Higher weapon breach chance/damage to snipe modules. Modify them just enough to give you a significant edge, while your opponent will just think you have a good build and can pip manage really well.

Situations like the ones above cast a shadow of doubt over every interaction with another unknown player.

In PvE, the effect is arguably more extreme because of the BGS implications. Infinite shields/ammo to farm CZs or tank wings of cops/ATR while grinding. Dropping off a T9 full of passengers at a station 100k ls from the star by literally just jumping into the system and dropping to normal space. Don't even have to make the journey. This would also allow AFK credit/mat farming.

What have you tried to do about it?
In early December, we took an export of the Discord along with screenshots and submitted it to FDev through their ticketing process. We got the standard canned reply, which is honestly what we expected. We understand that they cannot explain what they're going to do about it, so we just kinda moved on for a bit. It has been over 6 months since we submitted it to them and there has been no interruption in service or any additional facets of the hack becoming detectable. We have reached out directly to both Will and Paige, providing the same information. The same canned response was sent ("we'll pass it on").

The Discord is still active with scores of people posting every single day about how to use it and requesting new features be added.

What do you want done?
We want FDev to start being more heavy-handed and proactive with punishing hacks. The mere existence undermines the entire game. If you were to be caught hacking in Elite, here's what punishment currently awaits you:

What other online game allows you to cheat and get caught 3 ing times before you eat a perma, especially an online MMO? If Elite were a single player game, this is a very different conversation, but it isn't and this has implications for every single play style.

EDIT: Exigeous did a great video on this as well.

Just an nod of agreement It should be stopped, And not banned to solo they should just be Banned EoS.
These occurrences happened to such and extent in EveOnline that they started publishing how many accounts were warned and banned, as their player base was getting well P****d off with the level of cheating, hacks, farming exploits etc. They were man enough at least, and made the attempt and were courteous enough let us players know.
I had hoped that FD would be as good and publish how many are caught, and then how many were warned and perm-a banned; We really don't need names as new accounts can be created with new names easily.

As for cheating in Elite I see no real point in it. There is no I win, and they've made everythign as easy as can be. I can imagine some kid who wants to be 'space god' possibly wantign huge shields etc.. Personally I use ELite as a flight Sim and little more and never play in Open. (too old for kiddies)
Me too, I'm a solo player.
I taught my daughter one simple rule. Single player game? Try not to cheat, you spoil the fun of the game. Online games? Don't cheat at all, or I'll personally ban your account.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom