Codex 'records'.

We all saw that section of the Codex. It is a great idea, sort of a fishing thing, where you can see what was the smallest and the biggest one you "caught" so far. The problem is, it doesn't seem to work. It doesnt matter how many particular stars or planets you find the records sections will only contain a record of the first one you found even after you sell the exploration data. Is this a bug? It must be otherwise there is no point in that section at all.

The codex points you to the first discovered item in that sector.

it would be more useful if it pointed you to the nearest or at least if we could select that rather than travel unnecessary distances to the "1st discovered" which other than tagging your name next to it is'nt very helpful to other players hoping to see it.

i predict an excel sheet / 3rd party apps filling the gap omitted by Frontier soon- of course it would be nice if they let us filter by distance closest to us.

but its not the first one you found it will point to the first one found - full stop, regardless if one is right next door and someone has sold the data... stupid really

We all saw that section of the Codex. It is a great idea, sort of a fishing thing, where you can see what was the smallest and the biggest one you "caught" so far. The problem is, it doesn't seem to work. It doesnt matter how many particular stars or planets you find the records sections will only contain a record of the first one you found even after you sell the exploration data. Is this a bug? It must be otherwise there is no point in that section at all.
Yeah, I had a good look at this towards the end of the Beta abd bug reported it: https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/460536-Codex-Discoveries-Records-various-bugs

Hadn’t had chance to check whether it was fixed yet.

I’ll see if I can get the bug report re-opened.

The codex points you to the first discovered item in that sector.

it would be more useful if it pointed you to the nearest or at least if we could select that rather than travel unnecessary distances to the "1st discovered" which other than tagging your name next to it is'nt very helpful to other players hoping to see it.

i predict an excel sheet / 3rd party apps filling the gap omitted by Frontier soon- of course it would be nice if they let us filter by distance closest to us.

but its not the first one you found it will point to the first one found - full stop, regardless if one is right next door and someone has sold the data... stupid really
It’s a different issue. Various things (Stellar Bodies) have a Records section in their entries which should be showing your personal records for those things (hottest, coldest, biggest, smallest, etc). It wasn’t recording them properly in the Beta, and apperently still isn’t.

Last edited:
Ah, spoke to soon, looks like it should have got fixed in the latest patch! https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/466593-Issue-regarding-Codex-records

OP, was your report from before the patch or after?

I didnt know they rolled out a patch today, sadly im very far away from a bubble to test it right now, i dont even know if i need to sell the data first to update the codex or not. At first it doesn't seem to be fixed because all my previous data in records section is still not updated, but maybe it never will be, maybe we need new discoveries for it to start working.

Last edited:
Oh god what a bad timing for creating this thread. I just checked and yes the codex records is now working properly. FD thank you for fixing it so quickly.

I think all previous records were not updated, so you need to make new discoveries for it to work. Maybe i am wrong.

Last edited:
I didnt know they rolled out a patch today, sadly im very far away from a bubble to test it right now, i dont even know if i need to sell the data first to update the codex or not. At first it doesn't seem to be fixed because all my previous data in records section is still not updated, but maybe it never will be, maybe we need new discoveries for it to start working.

It does seem to be somewhat more sensible - actually showing different min and max values. Though it seems to be 'from this patch' since many things have no records yet...

Hi!
I've been on a hiatus from ED since late 2016 and am now returning to explore more. I updated the game this morning. So if I understood this correctly, shouldn't the 'Discoveries' section show detailed stats about the trail I've blazed? At the moment all I get is a round '0', despite the correct numbers in the 'Commander Stats' section. Maybe I'll try and make some new discoveries as proposed above to see if that would help...

Last edited:
Hi!
I've been on a hiatus from ED since late 2016 and am now returning to explore more. I updated the game this morning. So if I understood this correctly, shouldn't the 'Discoveries' section show detailed stats about the trail I've blazed? At the moment all I get is a round '0', despite the correct numbers in the 'Commander Stats' section. Maybe I'll try and make some new discoveries as proposed above to see if that would help...

The Codex is NOT retroactive with regards to stellar and planetary discoveries.

Other than a travel brochure I'm not sure what the Codex is all about. The galaxy sectors are large and I really see no point of knowing what the biggest "F" star (or whatever) is in my sector. I'm sure I'm missing something here but right now it holds little practical use to me and would be happy to learn what the heck I'm suppose to glean from it.

The Codex is NOT retroactive with regards to stellar and planetary discoveries.

Hmm. What about the first discoveries (suns, planets etc.) that were made in the past and recorded in the galaxy map? It's already in the game, and tied to my account name. I might remember this wrong, but at some point I think there were plans to bring this kind of information to the Codex (before the 'Codex' was announced).

Various things (Stellar Bodies) have a Records section in their entries which should be showing your personal records for those things (hottest, coldest, biggest, smallest, etc). It wasn’t recording them properly in the Beta, and apperently still isn’t.
Are the records for bodies mapped or just found with FSS? It seems a little silly to say 'congratulations, you've found the biggest xxx' if it's some object over 100kls from the primary star that you 'found' by playing the blob/circle/zoom mini game rather than actually flying to it and mapping it. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Are the records for bodies mapped or just found with FSS? It seems a little silly to say 'congratulations, you've found the biggest xxx' if it's some object over 100kls from the primary star that you 'found' by playing the blob/circle/zoom mini game rather than actually flying to it and mapping it. Just my opinion.
To the best of my knowledge it’s from the FSS. And I get where you’re coming from with regard to the mapping, but at the moment all the info that the records relate to is stuff that comes from the FSS (and most of it would have come from straight from the honk previously anyway).

I'm sure I'm missing something here but right now it holds little practical use to me and would be happy to learn what the heck I'm suppose to glean from it.

For new (or stubborn) players, it provides an in-game way to find locations of Thargoid/Guardian surface POIs, or at least point them to regions where they've been found. I say "stubborn" because I'm one of those players who avoided using 3rd-party sites as much as I could while still retaining my sanity, and the Codex (along with the new FSS/DSS) has been a godsend from that perspective.

Top Bottom