Combat Limpet Controller

Please add a Combat Limpet Controller modules!
Can be different types:
  • Laser Limpets - orbiting a target and automatically attacks with laser
  • Kinetic Limpets - the same, but fires bullets. Should either restock from the main ship, or expire when ammo ended.
  • Explosive Limpets - Each limpet basically a small torpedo, but can be blasted by a command from main ship (e.g. launch multiple limpets, wait till all of them are close to the target, then blast all at once)
  • EMP Limpets - orbiting a target and emit an EMP wave every few seconds disrupting modules (or damaging shield maybe). The more modules - the more significant the effect, at max it could be something like Thargoid's lightning effect which reboots the target ship
  • Drag Limpets - not really a combat drones, but can catch the enemy ship if it's without a shield and reduce it's speed/maneurability (BTW a lot of similar requests was for grapling hooks).
Thoughts?

Last edited:
Did you also think of defending against these?

Creative! So points for that!
Maybe Some kind of module that could create a EMP field around the ship (without affecting it) wich would shut down all the limpets nearby, or what would be a bit more my style; a point defense capable of lunching flack explosives nearby one’s ship, exploding most (but not all) the limpets.

Interesting idea, but they’d all get shot down in seconds by Point Defence.
That would get rid of a couple shield boosters on most combat ships though. It might be worth it just for that.

But what if we could deploy multiple at once? it would be only possible with different module class of course.
A couple of PD would make short work of a dozen limpets in a handful of seconds.

Interesting idea, but they’d all get shot down in seconds by Point Defence.
Otherwise it could be too powerful IMO.
And as it said above, not all the ships fitting point defenses at all.
But that's the balance thing - Point defences may be setup to miss fast limpets orbiting the ship, or multiple drones can quickly disable the point defence (especially if the target has only one PD).
Or just not use such drones against ships with PD.
Or maybe first to destroy PD then use the drones...
I was not thinking to make it as the only weapon, rather an addition, but it depends on the details.

Did you also think of defending against these?
Well we already have Point Defences - they will become much more useful.
Maybe small turreted weapons would be a good defence, idk.
Or something like an anti-thargoid neutralizer field, but disabling the nearby drones for some time (disrupting their connection with the main ship).

I did a mission recently where the 6 ships I was after were all carrying mines.. All dropped mines around me as I attacked. 2x Point Defence was more than enough to handle the issue. And given that we already have the SLF, why would FDev add this? It's an added complication to balance - which is something that has enough issues.

I did a mission recently where the 6 ships I was after were all carrying mines.. All dropped mines around me as I attacked. 2x Point Defence was more than enough to handle the issue. And given that we already have the SLF, why would FDev add this? It's an added complication to balance - which is something that has enough issues.
SLFs are completely different so I'm not sure how it's related.
About PDs - as I said above, it all depends on the details. Can be solved by multiple different ways.
As for balance - for now we does not have balance at all, so not an issue.

Sabotage limpet instead? Makes one random module malfunction for a short time.
That's what I mean by EMP Limpets, yeah.

Please add a Combat Limpet Controller modules!
Can be different types:
  • Laser Limpets - orbiting a target and automatically attacks with laser
  • Kinetic Limpets - the same, but fires bullets. Should either restock from the main ship, or expire when ammo ended.
  • Explosive Limpets - Each limpet basically a small torpedo, but can be blasted by a command from main ship (e.g. launch multiple limpets, wait till all of them are close to the target, then blast all at once)
  • EMP Limpets - orbiting a target and emit an EMP wave every few seconds disrupting modules (or damaging shield maybe). The more modules - the more significant the effect, at max it could be something like Thargoid's lightning effect which reboots the target ship
  • Drag Limpets - not really a combat drones, but can catch the enemy ship if it's without a shield and reduce it's speed/maneurability (BTW a lot of similar requests was for grapling hooks).
Thoughts?

What i would want would be a Livery limpet - one that would paint my ship out there in the black... that would (sort of) make sense changing the ship paint from menu screen

😂

Sry, totally not related to the combat limpets 😇
Although it could be used in a paintball version of CQC :D

What i would want would be a Livery limpet - one that would paint my ship out there in the black... that would (sort of) make sense changing the ship paint from menu screen

😂

Sry, totally not related to the combat limpets 😇
Although it could be used in a paintball version of CQC :D
😑

Not limpets but drones, like the skimmers, with some shield and hull. That I would like.
So a sluggish ship like the T10 could be a drone carrier. Drones that behaved like Thargons, flying in a swarm, and vulnerable to flak guns, and a little to point defense (they had shields)
So combat drones would orbit your ship and fire at your target, or swarm around the enemy on command.
Vampire drones - would attach to the target, and stay there, leeching on shields and ship's energy.
Dismantling drones - would attach to the target and slowly hack at its Hull, or subsystems if targeted.
Mine Drones! Not like the wimpy and now useless mines, they would fly at the target like torpedoes, attach to the ship, reducing its speed, and would explode on command.
Oh, right - Mining drones - to laser mine and collect (yes, do both) minerals.
There's A LOT of possibilities for drones. Really. Even on Discovery - bodyguard drones - they follow you, and fire at your target, or can even stay at your front like shields.

SLFs are completely different so I'm not sure how it's related.
About PDs - as I said above, it all depends on the details. Can be solved by multiple different ways.
As for balance - for now we does not have balance at all, so not an issue.

SLF's already do much of what you want the limpets to do, it would be easier to add features to the existing SLF than to add more controllers and limpet types. There's also a limit to how much you could change the PD's without them becoming useless - unless you are planning to somehow make the limpets immune to FD fire. Given the FDev are currently working on the balance issues, I can't see how this would do anything but complicate the issue.

Top Bottom