Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Well it's all part of exploring, what you are describing is what I call black-boxing - you are inferring the inner workings of a device from observations. I understand how you feel about the challenge being removed, I felt a similar way about using 20,000ly route plotter and a high jump range ship to return to Beagle Point (and beyond) being trivially easy (plotted a straight line across the abyss) compared to spending three months picking my way assisted jump by assisted jump, creeping out the end of the Carina arm to eventually reach Beagle Point in my Corvette without using external help (ie googling a route), only the in-game tools.

I don't know whether you could still infer the mat ratios on a planet but it seems to me the game telling you (in an optional way) isn't removing functionality, you just enjoyed the challenge and the game was made easier as has happened so many times. Power Creep. Once it had been worked out the challenge would be done & all players using external tools would know how it worked too. I've never really farmed mats, I just pick up what I find and if I can't find something where I am I look elsewhere until I do. I spend days on small moons looking for fumeroles, more often than not forcing myself to give up. I once popped over to the star to refuel my 'vette so I could stay longer, usually an empty tank would be the sign to move on.

You can still research & catalogue rocks just as I can still hunt by eye for fumeroles, there just isn't the motivation because you can just equip a module to tell you the thing. I don't mind this, it is too easy now but before it was arguably too hard (as you might feel about surface deposits).

I get what you're saying, but my main objection to Frontier obviating the SRV's role in exploration was that before Frontier expanded the functionality of the DSS to detect material distributions, if you wanted to learn nearly everything you could know about a world, you actually had to land on it. Afterwards, you didn't even need to get close to that world to learn nearly everything you could know about it. Yes, there remained geological POIs to find, but that was kind of like trying to explore via parallax even with a basic discovery scanner: you could spend hours trying to find something that may not even be there to begin with.

Feelings are funny things. During the Horizons Beta and before the DSS change, I spent about three or four months exploring, almost entirely on the surface of worlds, cataloging what I found there. The ennui I'd felt trying to explore previously was gone. After the DSS change, it came back stronger than ever. I'd still zip along the surface of worlds in my SRV from time to time, but it was less about exploring, and more about me keeping an eye on the ground level scanner as I approached surface ports while carrying completely legal commodities to upstanding citizens of the Federation without getting scanned in the process, and investigating any POIs I saw while doing so, then checking for meteorites while I happened to be down there. But that was not exploration gameplay. That was engineering gameplay.

With the FSS, I'm back to taking completely unnecessary surface samples from many of worlds I've visited so far, easily spending an entire game session on a single interesting system. But this is not exploration gameplay. This is just me messing around. The SRV is not an exploration tool, it's a toy you bring along just for the fish, similar to the fighters some people bring so you they can go fast and low through canyons without risking their motherships. It's fun, it adds variety to my game session, it gives me materials with which to engineer when I get back, but it is not exploration gameplay.

With the removal of the old modules I cannot do what I did, and I must use the new stuff. I haven't quit, and this is a minor point that should have been quickly addressed (or franky, never have come up in the first place). It just needs to be put right and not happen again just as it (afaik) has not happened before.
Which I guess is where we fundamentally disagree. As far as I'm concerned, Frontier excised something that should be a fundamental aspect of exploration gameplay, and replaced it not with something that performs the same role, but replaced it with nothing. Their justification for this change was that people didn't want to explore in order to engineer. On the flip side, Frontier excised something that automatically did something that should be a fundamental aspect of exploration gameplay, and replaced it with actual gameplay. Their justification for this change was that "reinstating the ADS would be detrimental to the experience of exploration as it is now."

There is nothing to fix in Frontier's eyes. They removed something that shouldn't have been there in the first place, and I for one am glad they did. While I'm of the opinion that restoring something ADS like wouldn't have a detrimental effect on me, given that I'm exploring without playing the "minigame" in the first place, I would much rather Frontier add in something that can provide navigation data in a system that has actual game play attached to its use, as opposed to holding down a button for a few seconds... ideally something that consumes ammunition that would not only result in interesting decisions, but also might add in other aspects of exploration gameplay that I consider essential, but are all but missing from this game: logistical considerations and living off the land.

I personally favor launching a probe that provides navigation data for everything within a certain radius of its flight path, that can be launched at bodies, or simply fired in whatever direction you happen to be facing. Deploying a navigation beacon would also be an interesting alternative, especially if the player who built it could add points of interest later on. Suggest things that would enhance the exploration experience, as opposed to repeatedly asking for something that Frontier considers detrimental to it.

This i a more interesting aspect. At least in my eyes much more valid than many other concerns. But i am curious, as i don't play in VR: is there a difference between the FSS, the system map and the galaxy map in this aspect?
The System Map is just scrolling.

Both Galaxy Map and FSS require rotation, the GM does translation in 3 axes as well. This can disorientate some people in VR and in extreme cases cause nausea.

Personally all 3 interfaces could be significantly improved for VR, but they "work" well enough. In fact of the 3, the worst is the System Map - it is SOOOO SLOW in VR. The main reason being that it's zoomed in to start with and that it only uses digital inputs for scrolling. Adding a "headlook" cursor to these screens would -hugely- increase usability. For example, with the cursor in "headlook" mode as you look around you highlight things. Clicking some button would "select" that thing. Ditto with panels etc - as you look at them, they activate. No more weird fiddling about trying to navigate multiple layers of screens and menus using a couple of mapped buttons. Might need a hotkey to toggle "headlook cursor" though in order to play nicely with VA macros etc.

But ultimately I don't have an issue using any of them in VR although all of them are much better in "pancake mode" (feels weird to call it 2D since it's 3D graphics being displayed, but anyhoo).

I said realistically.
It seems like you might have no idea about what kinds of numbers we are talking about here. Perhaps others might not know as well. So: 14 GGG-s found so far. That's in 41 million systems discovered on EDSM, plus however many not on it. Probably a total of around 160 million.
Now you'd have to scan each and every gas giant you come across to find one, with likely having to wait out the entire image to resolve (unless you're in a galactic region where no GGG has been discovered yet), whereas before you could look at the system map and see it.
If at least they gave some unique signature on the FSS bar, that would be good. After all, if we'll ever get gas giant atmospheric flights, these will likely be The ones to go to.
GGGs are the only thing I can't think of a way to "easily" detect via the FSS without resolving it first, assuming that they don't actually have a unique signature already. I wonder where the closest one anti-spinward of Beagle Point is...

Ahh so that explains your attitude to feedback. I know it becomes tough to see people acting frontier naive when you know how it works. Given past and present issues, the only possible thing to do is to back off a bit and just get back into the game. Just like people were in the first 40-60 hours or so. Space was alot simpler then and you had your hands full even perceiving the extent of the bubble. No need for this meta infrastructure crap.
Call me crazy, but I think there's a difference between change that is actually possible to achieve, and this:

;)

Call me crazy, but I think there's a difference between change that is actually possible to achieve

Personally im done. Mainly because i actually cared and frontier are frontier. I suspect if they fail at games ever they can immediately go to making software for banks or aircraft their sdlc seems that heavy and inflexible.

Im truly grateful to river, drew, wr3nd, ralph, max, pico, yourself and the steady stream of randoms who agree for keeping the torch burning. Special cheers to maddog and enderby for spearing the knights.

This i a more interesting aspect. At least in my eyes much more valid than many other concerns. But i am curious, as i don't play in VR: is there a difference between the FSS, the system map and the galaxy map in this aspect?
I can only speak for myself but personally have no problems with the FSS in VR; I have not touched ED without my OccRift on since my wife bought it for me as a birthday present a couple of years ago.

Using the galaxy and system maps in VR took some getting used to, but then my bindings at the time were set up for 2D play but as for the FSS, it has been fine. I would like to be able look around in 360 and see the blue hotspots to resolve it faster, but that is a minor issue for me.

Hello Commanders,

I wanted to drop in and let you that we have been reading your comments and are aware how some of you feel about the FSS.

When first designing the FSS, we wanted to ensure that it was engaging for as many different player types as possible, but also understood that it would not be possible to design a system that would work for everyone. Before the FSS was implemented, we also collected feedback from discussions on the forum and the beta.

Today, in its current iteration, we’re happy with how the FSS operates and feel that reinstating the ADS would be detrimental to the experience of exploration as it is now.

At the current time, we won’t be making changes to the core of the FSS. While we understand that this may be disappointing for some of you, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts and feedback with us.
@Adam Bourke-Waite I quite like it myself however please please consider fixing it in VR (ticket already in) so that we can see the orbit lines etc as that makes things make far more sense.

GGGs are the only thing I can't think of a way to "easily" detect via the FSS without resolving it first, assuming that they don't actually have a unique signature already. I wonder where the closest one anti-spinward of Beagle Point is...

There are also terrain clues on the textures of landable objects and bright pink gas giants.

Last edited:
I almost felt bad about being mean to someone in this thread, but now I don't.
Oh, don't give in to hatred. They don't truly understand why this was made. It's all connected, this game's problems, you see. Frontier simply thought there was more to gain by this, even though game has turned into a tabletop role-playing game, or a park simulator. Now they know how to make a game they had envisioned, if it is plausible commercially, and there still is hope in relaunch. Not many has made this sort of game actually work somehow.

Dance-off would be nice too.

By the powers vested in me, and in the unspoken names of That Which Must Not Be Said, I consign this thread to a long overdue death.

The Powers That Be have spoken. The FSS is here to stay. There is no current development being done to alter it in the near future. 2020 will not bring us an Ultimate System Scanner. Perhaps in 2026 it will be revisited for some updating, but I wouldn't count on that either.

Debating and arguing about what we like and don't like is simply not productive. Let's sing a song:

The Wheels in the mud go round and round,
Round and Round,
Round and Round.
The Wheels in the mud go round and round.
Fighting it won't get us anywhere.

The speed freaks and masochists are not going to be appeased, not any time soon at least, if ever.
Meanwhile, there are dozens of other items that could use at least half this much attention elsewhere in the game. Let's talk about some of those a while, ok?
You're on Twitter? :)

GGGs are the only thing I can't think of a way to "easily" detect via the FSS [...]

GGG’s?
Giggity Giggity Goos?

How-To-Draw-Quagmire-Family-Guy-Main.jpg

“Alright!”

I can only speak for myself but personally have no problems with the FSS in VR; I have not touched ED without my OccRift on since my wife bought it for me as a birthday present a couple of years ago.

Using the galaxy and system maps in VR took some getting used to, but then my bindings at the time were set up for 2D play but as for the FSS, it has been fine. I would like to be able look around in 360 and see the blue hotspots to resolve it faster, but that is a minor issue for me.
For me regarding immersion and like it's more to do with my approach and preferred style of play. Unfortunately my setup as a living room, home entertainment system couch player with the family coming and going and such and taking care of a 5 year old, VR isn't all that conducive and convenient, though I'm sure it's quite splendid indeed.

Well done for those who like the FSS game-play and all that as it is. It just isn't really for me, so, as things are now, I only rarely trouble myself with it. I still like exploring in the game, though not quite as much now. Would definitely prefer having other options that let me explore and discover things more in first-person. Despite what some might think, there are reasons why I like going exploring in a Vulture. Perhaps I am more of a niche player, but it is what it is.

Cheers. o7

Last edited:
opinion-fdev-has-messed-up-exploration

I note another thread with negative feedback on new exploration, with lots of likes from many new faces.

It's amusing to see prior comments about "the same 5 people posting over and over". I remember one of the very first threads had over 200 unique posters, and well over half of those gave negative comments. I don't expect it to stop anytime soon, and I expect more people to come out of the woodwork following DW2 (eg. the above thread).

There's also exploration in game-play and rank terms, and then there's emergent exploration. I still very much like aspects of the latter, but the former has dropped off significantly for me after, ironically enough, the exploration update. I've been Elite ranked for at least a couple years, so that's neither here nor there for me anyway. I see my next major arbitrary milestone as being 100K unique systems visited.

Presently on my roundabout way to Jaques from Beagle Point after DW2.

Naturally, YMMV.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom