Could Frontier please demonstrate how to use the FSS enjoyably?

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
opinion-fdev-has-messed-up-exploration

I note another thread with negative feedback on new exploration, with lots of likes from many new faces.

It's amusing to see prior comments about "the same 5 people posting over and over". I remember one of the very first threads had over 200 unique posters, and well over half of those gave negative comments. I don't expect it to stop anytime soon, and I expect more people to come out of the woodwork following DW2 (eg. the above thread).
I'm one of those in the woodwork. Just waiting for the lights to go out.

I note another thread with negative feedback on new exploration, with lots of likes from many new faces.
Yeah, funnily enough pretty much all of the comments in that thread which -are- about the FSS are by the "same 5 people" dragging the topic up Yet Again. The OP barely mentioned it, trying to raise other aspects of exploration which may need looking at, and most of the "new faces" are talking about those. Nice implication though.

Yeah, funnily enough pretty much all of the comments in that thread which -are- about the FSS are by the "same 5 people" dragging the topic up Yet Again. The OP barely mentioned it, trying to raise other aspects of exploration which may need looking at, and most of the "new faces" are talking about those. Nice implication though.
Can't we just stop poking at each other? The exploration game-play and what some of us have had, have now, and would like from it is very important to some of us. That's just the way it is. Naturally there are going to be differing opinions on the matter and whatnot, but I doubt it serves anyone all that well to question the motivation and validity of the opinions of others.

Not saying that's your intent for your perspective of things, but it seems to be a general and unfortunate trend here.

Here's another thread to chat on the topic for those of you who might like discussing it, preferable without the intent of denigrating anyone, nor Frontier, for that matter. → https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threa...ional-options-for-compelling-gameplay.510904/

Honestly, I'm glad for those who like the FSS exploration game-play.

I'm sorry, that wasn't my intent.

EDIT: And yes, re-reading my post, it certainly sounds like that. Again, I'm sorry.
Thanks. Didn't mean to single you out. Your post was more reasonable than some I've seen, so, regarding the general trend I've noticed, was worth responding to, if you know what I mean.

Cheers, Commander. o7

Could you at least make it so that after you scan a system, that data still exists as a scanned system when plotting a course? Frequently, i will jump into a system that I have no data on only to find out that it’s been previously mapped.

Could you at least make it so that after you scan a system, that data still exists as a scanned system when plotting a course? Frequently, i will jump into a system that I have no data on only to find out that it’s been previously mapped.
After the data has been turned in by you or another player, and after the honk, the worlds that show up automatically should indicate that the system has already been explored to one extent or another, and likewise if you've already explored it, before selling the data. Maybe even before the honk, though I always honk as a matter of course, so I'm not sure offhand. Anyway, point being, in virgin systems only the stellar bodies will show up after the honk, though if others have explored the same system as you and sell the data first, they will get first discovered by tags and the like.

Edit: Some close in worlds to the jump in stellar body may show up after the honk and/or based on your proximity to them without using the FSS. Likewise, this is where we occasionally get all those asteroid clusters from that spam the info feed.

Being on DW2, it's kind of funny seeing many more already explored systems than I would normally out in the black. Just goes to show how many others have been around, mapping their way through The Abyss to Beagle Point and back, or mapping in the void there as they might prefer.

Otherwise, I'm generally out where no one else has been before, putting along in my Vulture, leaving the illusions of grandeur of the fringes for the ambitions of others. I have enough of my own illusions to contend with as it is anyway. ;)

Likewise, I consider it a complement that some DSSed some of my noteworthy discovered systems before I managed to after the update, selling their first mapped by data. Good on them, and glad I was able to help with some interesting game-play for the lot of us.

p3WGkwR.png

Cheers. o7

Oh, and sorry if this post is too much exploration related for some of you that would rather... What're we taking about here again? ;)

Carry on.

Last edited:
After the data has been turned in by you or another player, and after the honk, the worlds that show up automatically should indicate that the system has already been explored to one extent or another, and likewise if you've already explored it, before selling the data.
I think the question regarded being able to filter the route-plotter to exclude previously-visited systems.

Ie, able to tell whether a system has been visited or not before jumping into it.

While it has merit, the "problem" with that is that a great many systems have been visited, but not explored, previously. Taking the unsubstantiated rumour that the system containing Raxxla has been visited before [as an example], if everybody were to plot to exclude visited systems, Raxxla will never be found.

One thing which the FSS has done, love it or hate it, is enabling systems to be fairly comprehensively explored (scanned/catalogued/verb-of-choice) in a much shorter timeframe than before, which, theoretically, means we have a much better chance at finding things which Frontier has seeded through the Galaxy. In practice it does rely on people not only FSS'ing entire systems, but also doing so slow enough to be able to review the data summaries. An improvement to making these discoveries would be if planets with special POIs would have a bigger/special/different spike in the frequency graph. As well as my constant request to put a non-interactive version of the frequency graph up on the HUD for a few seconds after a "Honk" for instant system evaluation.

Last edited:
Ah, okay. I see. Well, we have an option for filtering where we've been at least. There's a fair bit of virgin space out there if you know where about to roughly try to go if that's what you're after; it isn't so much of an issue.

Regarding the OP of the thread though, this seems a bit off topic, so I wasn't sure in what context to see it by. But fair enough.

I can’t mash Like enough here. Thank you for saying exactly what I was thinking. I’ve nothing agaist Coke-bottled-glasses-wearing nerds. I just don’t want to play their way. I want to play my way. Problem: our ways are not compatible, they’re exclusive. For me to play my way means they have to change theirs.

Since sodium and water don’t mix, someone has to win out, and the creators have decided who that is.

Edits: Typing on an iPhone sucks. It makes things up and annoys me.

Having had a few, and bear with me here, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. In some respects, I find it utterly amusing. On first assumption it would be regarding the dialing of the bits on bobs, but on second, they aren't really all that scientifically apt anyway, beyond rough happenstance and silly exposition. I don't know if that's enough for some who know what they're talking about or not. Tough to say, but I know of some astrophysicists who feel this game-play is worthy, whatever that means. I, on the other hand, am not so... Well, let's say, entrenched, to see beyond the practicality of the thing. It's a lock picking mini game. My wife called it and put it into context for me, and good on her.

What was I talking about illusions of grandeur previously? The science of the the thing, all things considered, and in context, from my perspective, is... Well, I don't mean to insult those on here who I honestly respect...

We're of a similar happenstance and outlook, though I naturally have my own perspective.

Last edited:
opinion-fdev-has-messed-up-exploration

It's amusing to see prior comments about "the same 5 people posting over and over". I remember one of the very first threads had over 200 unique posters, and well over half of those gave negative comments. I don't expect it to stop anytime soon, and I expect more people to come out of the woodwork following DW2 (eg. the above thread).
With the same bunch of people moaning. Cool.

Having had a few, and bear with me here, I have no idea what you guys are talking about. In some respects, I find it utterly amusing. On first assumption it would be regarding the dialing of the bits on bobs, but on second, they aren't really all that scientifically apt anyway, beyond rough happenstance and silly exposition. I don't know if that's enough for some who know what they're talking about or not. Tough to say, but I know of some astrophysicists who feel this game-play is worthy, whatever that means. I, on the other hand, am not so... Well, let's say, entrenched, to see beyond the practicality of the thing. It's a lock picking mini game. My wife called it and put it into context for me, and good on her.

What was I talking about illusions of grandeur previously? The science of the the thing, all things considered, and in context, from my perspective, is... Well, I don't mean to insult those on here who I honestly respect...

We're of a similar happenstance and outlook, though I naturally have my own perspective.

There is a lot of unfounded propaganda & myth surrounding the ADS and FSS, it is ridiculous to argue one is more realistic than the other or that retaining the older functionality is in some way subjectively detrimental in any way when removing it was objectively detrimental. One is a simple reveal, the other is deliberately gamefied hoops to jump through. As a tool to do a job both have benefits, focusing on different areas of the data.

Very much looking forward to getting the missing functionality back.

Last edited:
If you’ve a good, thought out idea, go for it. This sounds like a positive contribution instead of more opinion posturing.

Map Module thread, I hope it meets with your approval, feel free to post your views and or concerns of the idea as you choose.(y)

Cool, cool. Nice, moaning. Undulating recourse, and subservient venom. The flavor of things productive, no doubt. Thanks for pointing this out.

Yet there is truth to it. There's plenty of fixes and upgrades the FSS could use. FD once again made it clear that it's here to stay. So the best we can do is to campaign for those improvements.

And what happens in EACH AND ANY thread where one of the terms ADS, FSS or exploration is just mentioned once? The same bunch comes in and fills it with endless lamentation about the FSS. You can go through this thread, you can go through many others. If you read them very well and pay close attention, there's a number of requests for improvements and fixes there. Valid concerns on it's usability, how it handles in VR, etc. But it's covered under layers and layers of spam.

So how do you think FD by now reacts on any thread where the FSS is just mentioned? Ignoring it is the most likely thing to happen. Thus these handful of people thus effectively destroy any chance of constructive community feedback, by filling any thread where it would be given with their bile.

Map Module thread, I hope it meets with your approval, feel free to post your views and or concerns of the idea as you choose.(y)

You don’t need my approval, but do see what I had to say. Just be sure to read all of it, objectively.

Indeed; it was over half an hour since anybody posted.

As for @Sylow's point, I do agree. The constant discussions around FSS/ADS are drowning legitimate concerns and improvement suggestions with the FSS.
The removal of gameplay that was facilitated by the ADS is a legitimate concern though, despite the anti-honk crowd rhetoric claiming the contrary.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom