Ships Diamondback Explorer Owners Club

Yes I now have two, a combat build and an exploration build, and each is very effective at what they're designed for. Cheap as chips, lots of fun and very effective. What's not to like?!

Probably getting your SRV stuck under the front of the ship on your way back to the bay due to ground clearance from time to time, but that's about it. :x

Recalling the ship from orbit is like watching the Tachi/Rocinante come for you. Absolutely bonkers.

I'm tempted to take my DBX out for some more exploring. But it seems like a neglected ship on these forums, and I've not used it for a while.

I can't afford an Anaconda, but are there other ships which have supplanted the DBX for exploration? (apart from the AspX - which I've never liked)

Also, I've unlocked a few engineers - so are there any upgrades recommended for my A-rated DBX?

Actually, no :) It's still number 3 after Anaconda and Asp in terms of popularity. And as for the jump range -- it's currently the closest to Anaconda you can get.

That's good to know and thanks for the reply.

I just need to figure out which engineers are useful.

I love my DBX, she is my favorite ship. I've no desire at all for the other explorer.

Even though my DBX is A-rated with everything I do have on her (no hardpoints), she is engineered and still gets over 50ly jump range. Yes, I could get over 60 if I went D-rated on most things, but I like her just the way she is. She's like an old, familiar truck, the one you just won't give up because it's been so reliable and was better built than the modern contraptions of the present day. She still purrs to me, even with all her shakes and rattles. There is no other ship I want for "going the distance."

I couldn't have summarised it better myself.

I just need to figure out which engineers are useful

It depends strongly on your desired configuration, but if you want to engineer for max. range, then here is the list:

Absolutely necessary:
1) Felicity Farseer (for FSD, thrusters G3, and PP G1)

Very useful to know:
2) Bill Turner (life support G3 and sensors)
3) The Dweller (power distributor)

Won't be superfluous:
4) Ram Tah (heatsink)
5) prof. Palin (thrusters G5)
6) Hera Tani (PP G5)
7) Selene Jean (armor)
8) Lori Jameson (life support G4)
9) Tod McQuinn (railguns) -- with plasma slug effect you might use one as a fuel vent.

UPD. And yes, there is also 10) Lei Cheung (shield generator), but since we are talking about DBX with only 6 slots -- there are a lot of much more useful things than shields ;)

And if you still didn't bother getting FSD booster -- time to think about it :)

I could get over 60 if I went D-rated on most things

Well over 70, actually ;)

And, by the way, she is still comfortable to fly, except for slow scooping speed, but that's an inborn "feature":
https://s.orbis.zone/sdq

Last edited:
Anyone else having a harder time than usual getting your FSD to super charge off white dwarf/neutron stars? Been borderline impossible the last few days

Sightseeing DBX build

Hello everyone,

I've tromped around the galaxy in a few ships since I started playing this summer, but the DBX has got to be one of my favs. I've been using a new build to take people sightseeing, and on a good day, I can pull in $10 Mill/hour or more. The key is to get Allied with one or more faction in a starport, and then the Tourists just start falling over themselves to hop on board. With the DBX's HUGE jumprange (un-engineered), I can do a 3-4 stop trip in half an hour, and a 1 stop trip in 10 minutes or less. NOTE: I am NOT flying famous explorers anywhere. Those guys don't pay enough for the privilege of flying on the Plisken.

Here's the build:
https://coriolis.io/outfit/diamondb...==.Aw18UA==..EwegLCAMUgzK0CmBDA5gG0SEBGS+ZpIg

I actually do have some engineering upgrades, but not too many yet, so I just posted the unmodded version (which is good enough, IMO, to do this stuff).

CMDR Rober-Baran, PS4 Galaxy

It depends strongly on your desired configuration, but if you want to engineer for max. range, then here is the list:

Absolutely necessary:
1) Felicity Farseer (for FSD, thrusters G3, and PP G1)

Very useful to know:
2) Bill Turner (life support G3 and sensors)
3) The Dweller (power distributor)

Won't be superfluous:
4) Ram Tah (heatsink)
5) prof. Palin (thrusters G5)
6) Hera Tani (PP G5)
7) Selene Jean (armor)
8) Lori Jameson (life support G4)
9) Tod McQuinn (railguns) -- with plasma slug effect you might use one as a fuel vent.

UPD. And yes, there is also 10) Lei Cheung (shield generator), but since we are talking about DBX with only 6 slots -- there are a lot of much more useful things than shields ;)

And if you still didn't bother getting FSD booster -- time to think about it :)

Well over 70, actually ;)

And, by the way, she is still comfortable to fly, except for slow scooping speed, but that's an inborn "feature":
https://s.orbis.zone/sdq

Superb summary, thanks!

I have to say the day when I bought my DBX was the day when the galaxy shrunk and the bubble seemed a lot smaller, all of a sudden everything was within reach.
At first I went full lightweight build, but after a while realized that not all is in the jump range so I A-rated thrusters and power distributor just for that extra maneuverability since I do use it the most out of all my ships.
The build is: https://s.orbis.zone/-go

Now I'm curious, after the update the ADS will be obsolete, I was thinking of placing a cargo rack there and getting a guardian FSD booster on that nr 4 slot instead of the large rack. Or am I missing something about the ADS?

New member of the club checking in. After puttering around in my Diamondback Scout for nearly a year, I bit the bullet and purchased a shiny new DBX the other day. Still getting used to it. She doesn't have the raw agility of the DBS, but she runs just as cool and has the same sleek lines. Lightly engineered, I'm sitting on a 32.5 ly jump range with a combat loadout.

Any suggestions for a shakedown cruise? I've never been far from home-- California nebula is the furthest I've gone. If anyone has suggestions for my first real exploration run, I'm all ears.

Has anyone used a DBX in the beta of the forthcoming expansion?

I'm going to dive back into exploration in a DBX (and mining in a Python), but I'm intrigued as to whether the DBX will still be effective in exploration after the 'reboot' on 11 December.

I think DBE will be even more effective then it is now. Biggest flaw of DBE is undersized fuel scoop, but FSS needs you to stop in SC, so you can stop with fuel scoop active and fill tank while scanning a system. Oh, and build in ADS mean one free slot more.

New member of the club checking in. After puttering around in my Diamondback Scout for nearly a year, I bit the bullet and purchased a shiny new DBX the other day. Still getting used to it. She doesn't have the raw agility of the DBS, but she runs just as cool and has the same sleek lines. Lightly engineered, I'm sitting on a 32.5 ly jump range with a combat loadout.Any suggestions for a shakedown cruise? I've never been far from home-- California nebula is the furthest I've gone. If anyone has suggestions for my first real exploration run, I'm all ears.
That kind of depends where home is.:D
Best thing i can think of is to head for the Gnosis and hitch a lift.Or head for the guardian sites to pick up some useful blueprints,perhaps.You need a scarab for that,i think.

I'm intrigued as to whether the DBX will still be effective in exploration after the 'reboot' on 11 December

Well, actually, the "reboot" is supposed to make DBX even more effective, as it gives one additional "free" slot to exploration vehicles.

The only possible problem is that introduction of alien space life might make research limpets slightly more useful. And so DBX owners would still face a hard choice: either miss some of the new possibilities, or sacrifice AFMU or FSD booster or buggy.

Last edited:
I love my DBX also but I have one issue. When I am fuel scooping the ship shakes like a drunk with the DT's. I have to look away. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks

I love my DBX also but I have one issue. When I am fuel scooping the ship shakes like a drunk with the DT's. I have to look away. Is there anything I can do to fix this? Thanks

Interesting. I have more hours in the DBX than any other ship, not noticed this.
I'll have a look when we're back up.

Interesting. I have more hours in the DBX than any other ship, not noticed this.
I'll have a look when we're back up.

I would really appreciate that. I would love to take my DBX way out into the black but the shaking actually makes me nauseous. She only shakes when sccoping.

Top Bottom