Draw back the curtains?

I would like to suggest that the ‘high wake’ jumping animation is revised.

The galaxy of Elite is just quite incredible; to be able to go and explore a 1:1, astrophysically accurate simulation of the Milky Way is amazing. The number of screenshots and shared stories created by Cmdrs shows just what an awesome thing Frontier have created.

However, for me, the swirling mist animation which plays whilst jumping between systems contrasts with the high quality of the in-system experience. It clearly works as both a loading screen and a representation of travel time across immense galactic distances but it removes me from the Galaxy at a point when I would most like to be aware of the immense distances which I am covering and of the structure of the galaxy around me. This is very notable with nebula; I would like to be able to see these massive, incredible structures as I travel to and around, within them. I want to see Barnards Star getting larger and larger until it wraps around my tiny ship, I want to travel down the O-type highway through the Siren of the Spinward Stars!

Practically; the assets and systems exist within the game to allow this to happen: the galactic map is a wonderful thing to explore gives you a great sense of the structure and spectacle of galactic features. I've spent a long time just exploring nebular; seeing the way they can change from clouds, to blooms, to trumpets. Finding clusters of stars at the edges of the galaxy and then realising that there is a gulf, a rift, and impassable gap. Could jumping show you moving through this map? Judging by the map's loading time, the full version would not really be compatible with a loading screen but by limiting the map range and stripping it back to just galactic features without any informative overlays and, obviously, by restricting the display to the one path you are travelling, I would be happy with a 10, 20 or even 30% increase in jump/loading time.

The lore is that whilst ‘jumping’ you are in ‘witch space’. Witch space interacts with normal space in two significant ways; you can jump into it and out of it and it is affected by mass. This is consistent with an Alcubierre drive warp bubble as, although this would exist within normal space (ie you continue to be affected by gravity/mass), this would be a separate ‘state’. If the Thargoids live within witch space then maybe they have a control of ‘warping’ which we can only guess at. There would be not be much additional image processing: you are not ‘moving’ so there’s no red-shift though there would be lensing in front and behind. The existing space dust, which helps create a sense of speed, may cause misty clouds to swirl up in front and away behind though, interestingly, the view to the side would be quite clear and would appear stationary. I'm hoping some of the astrophysicists will be able to give a better idea of this?

I realise that this is not a major thing; there’s no big gameplay revolution here, no new content, but a lot of time is spent jumping, particularly when exploring, so it would be a wonderful thing to get a sense of the scale and spectacle of the galaxy. Frontier; you have created a wonderful, wonderful galaxy, please draw back the curtains of mist and let it shine!

I get your idea. But in the end, the jump animation is nothing else than a disguised loading screen. In the given scenario i can't really estimate how much extra effort your suggestion would require. It might be easily done or plenty of work, i really can't tell.

What i can tell is that the current animation can bridge a some latency issues and some delays due to unexpected longer loading times. We've all been there, when a jump took a little longer, but the current animation still looked well. With a more realistic display, we might end up in the situation that the jump animation is basically done, all the things on the jump were displayed and there's nothing left to show, while you still wait for an extra second or two to get out of the animation, as some network problem just delays the transfer to the new system.

So i guess that would be the actual price to pay: you might draw back the curtains on the galaxy with this. But you might also draw back the curtains on the loading screens, which currently can disguise smaller technical hickups and internet issues well enough, but would probably be painfully visible on the proposed method.

The other aspect to consider would be "flashy" vs "realistic". What we currently have looks more spectactular. It has some of the Star Wars faster than light travel vibe. We'd definitely loose that.

I still consider the suggestion here to be interesting, though. The idea is good, but i think the aspects i mentioned might need some consideration.

I agree with the OP! The assets are already there (using the realistic view on the Galaxy Map).

The loading screen function of the current jump animation can be re-worked by slowing ships down as they get closer to stars, like they do in SuperCruise. This would give the game enough time to loads assets as the player approaches a specific system.

One-off jumps may take longer to complete than the current jump-and-you're-there process, but multi-jump journeys would be a lot smoother, faster, and would actually require skilled navigation to maximize speed.

I agree with the OP! The assets are already there (using the realistic view on the Galaxy Map).

They aren't available in SC, the background starfield is a 2d image wrapped around your commander, and is generated as part of the system assets based on your location in the galaxy and what should be visible from your current location, attempting to draw them real time while traveling would probably be impossible for any current computer system. What you see in the galaxy map is a pre-rendered model, not an actual view of the galaxy.

They aren't available in SC, the background starfield is a 2d image wrapped around your commander, and is generated as part of the system assets based on your location in the galaxy and what should be visible from your current location, attempting to draw them real time while traveling would probably be impossible for any current computer system. What you see in the galaxy map is a pre-rendered model, not an actual view of the galaxy.

That's interesting; so the background when in system is a detailed and accurate view of the Galaxy from that point?

I'm not suggesting rendering that in SC but what I see in the galaxy map looks like the galaxy to me? I can 'fly' through it, with stars and nebula popping in and out as I move around it. Simply using this to generate the view in SC should be possible? A limited model could be pre-rendered, the time to render minimised as the route is known beforehand, the draw horizon can be restricted and the additional informative overlays are unnecessary.

Yea, I know that. 😉

But, a simple transition between the pre-rendered skybox to the 3D galaxy model used in the Galaxy Map (handwave away the different visual look as hyperspace distortion, or something...) could mask this difference.

That's interesting; so the background when in system is a detailed and accurate view of the Galaxy from that point?

Yes from your pov it's a 2d bitmap of what you would see, but this is the important bit, from your entry point to the system. It doesn't matter how far away from the entry point you fly, even as far a a nearby nebula, that image won't change.

I'm not suggesting rendering that in SC but what I see in the galaxy map looks like the galaxy to me?

The galaxy is 100kly across, what we see in the galaxy map is a rendered artifact generated from the galaxy data generated from the stellar forge, because, as we know, the only star system actually generated in game when we fly around the galaxy is the one we are actually in. All those points of light you see in the starfield around us don't exist except as a generated image using our coordinates in the galaxy map. To actually render it in real time as we fly from one system to another would require the computer to generate all the surrounding data on the fly as we move. In other words take that background image of the starfield we see when we enter a system and that's generated from the galaxy map data and entirely generate it over 32 times for every second of travel. People with slower graphics cards and PC's already struggle to runt he game in high quality, what you are asking for is several magnitudes harder than we already have.

I can 'fly' through it, with stars and nebula popping in and out as I move around it.

No you are flying through a pre-rendered model of the stellar forge data which is probably hundreds of gigabytes in size, you are asking to generate that on the fly.

Simply using this to generate the view in SC should be possible? A limited model could be pre-rendered, the time to render minimised as the route is known beforehand, the draw horizon can be restricted and the additional informative overlays are unnecessary.

Doesn't work that way, see above, you would first need the entire set of stellar forge data on your PC, then you would need to process it to render multiple frames per second as you fly. The entirety of the time you spend jumping between systems is spent downloading the data and rendering the background and star for the single system you are entering, just how long do you want a system jump to take?

@varonica, thanks for that. You clearly know way more about it that I but I think we're talking about different things.

So, right now: I'm in the galactic map, I've turned off all the 'options', I'm zoomed right in and I'm moving forward. Stars are gliding past me, nebulae are rising ahead, transforming and enveloping me. It's happening in real time. OK: there is clearly a view limit; seems to be about 60ly, which would work. Nebula are visible much further.

That's what I want to see whilst jumping. Add some mist, distortion, to disguise any glitches, and limit the view range to speed up the calculation/loading.

Does anyone ahve that old animation from the 4 little ships attacking the capital ship. It has an older loading screen that involves a direct warp into the system.

Yup, as an example, this is 2000 LY above the galactic plane, which is not dissimilar to what you see in the galaxy view:

YsSjU3N.png

It's also worth noting the star at the center of the hyperspace tunnel is reflective of your destination.

1584269828057.png

1584269952237.png

... compared to....
1584269897644.png

1584269919447.png

You have to remember what is happening here. There are 400 billion stars in the Elite galaxy. I suspect, when you see the galactic disk, it's not calculating that disk from every star that makes it up, it's got an internal representation of what that disk looks like that is less computationally intense. Furthermore, I suspect, that when it creates the sky-sphere, it's not displaying all the stars you might actually see, but is scanning the database for stars above a certain brightness at you current location and displays only them. I guessing that actively rendering the starscape while both constantly updating the the galactic disk and all the stars would require more CPU power and network bandwidth than is practical. Or so go my thoughts. Keep in mind that when gliding through the galactic map only stars within a certain distance actually display.

Don't you think you might be underestimating ingenuity of coders and the power of current multi-core CPUs?
Look at our own game: How did FDev manage to program ED in such a way that we can have very detailed surfaces of an insane amount of planets and moons? The surface geometry of a single one, if stored by polygon vertices as is usually the case for 3D models, would occupy more than the game's 30+GB... They are mathematically generated on every approach based on specific seed parameters.

While 'charging' the FSD, I can imagine it not being too farfetched to have a simple 3D scene constructed by a reserved thread, based on the nearest n astronomical objects (systems, nebulae) in the field of view. They would be very simply represented in terms of details and as background we could have something like current wrapped 2D image. There's no need to draw all of them real-time, as you suggested. Just the few hundred nearest ones. They also do not need their positions calculated all the time. Each has a relative position vector to our current location. Based on the vector from out current location to the jump destination, the displacement vector of those astronomical objects relative to us is solved and such the 3D scene could be constructed with little computational effort during the FSD charging and be ready to be played back to us during the actual jump.

There's a compromise to be made regarding scene construction time, FoV to fetch objects (considering commanders can move their heads around during FSD usage) and number of objects to be resolved, but unless I'm missing something big, it doesn't seem to be impossible. The implementation of such a feature would not be simple and the minimum recommended hardware to use it might change a bit from what ED currently suggests, but I don't agree it's "impossible for any current computer" as you said, considering there's absolutely no need to draw them all.

Last edited:
Its a loading screen, the less animation/data/bandwidth needed to process that loading screen the quicker everything loads surely? I get the idea but ain't worth the payoff of 10, 20 or 30% loading time you suggest. Also don't think its as simple as it sounds, and if you look in the loading screen you do fly past 'stars' and other objects. Its not brilliant but it is efficient/quick and much more imaginative than a black screen with an hourglass on it for example.

I favour quicker loading the next system over a pretty journey, especially the 10,000th time.

I get what @Badmiker is suggesting.
Basically using the camera in the galaxy map, zoomed in real close and have it slowly trace the jump route.
Similar to how the galaxy map currently will "auto fly" to another star after running a search for it. Just slow it down, have the camera face the destination, and have the scroll time from point to point match the loading time.
Even if it was Indiana Jones style showing a simple flight path would be alright. (great now im picturing it in ED. :💻: 4..3...2...1 ::Queue Indiana Jones music:: watch a fat red line travel from current location to destination.) Ok maybe that would not be as good as i first thought.
But the idea to watch something move from point A to point B is appealing over the same repeated loading screen we currently have.
Keep in mind the type of experience you are suggesting is very similar to what you get in space engine. Traveling from one star to another in that game is not all that interesting unless you are traveling really really far at insane multiples of C.

This one:

Still cool after all these years :D
That was soooooo... long ago. I always said that the skybox in those days WAS sooooo.. much better than what we have now..... but I often got flamed for that stance.... so I won't repeat it here... oh I just did... didn't I? :unsure:

Top Bottom