[DW2] Distant Worlds 2 - A Journey of Discovery

I love this idea of the distant worls expedition, i was too late in getting the game for DW1, my worry if i sign up for it (providing i have a capable ship by then) is what would happen if I couldn't make it on the day(s) that the fleet were set to jump - would i be able to still sign up and then catch up to the fleet while still trying to get exploration data/resources for the rest. I.E. currently having to start fresh on xbone as both pc and ps4 have 'bricked' - I'm hoping that by the time the expedition is set to leave I'll have a decently kitted out anaconda, but that's a ways off yet, it's more likely i'll have a asp ex kitted for refuelling/repairing others.

Don't worry about missing the launch, its not mandatory to be there for it, and there will be plenty of time to catch up to the fleet during the journey. Also I wouldn't worry too much about taking an Anaconda if you can't afford one, as unless you're extremely limited by the amount of game-time you can commit each week, a long-ranged ship may prove to be overkill on DW2 due to the pacing of the event. Something cheaper and mid-range will be more than enough for this expedition.

To give you an idea, each weekly stage of the expedition will average around 4,500 LYs distance, which translates to around 90 minutes travel time for a 45 LY ranged ship. So if you can commit a few hours a week to playing ED, it should be pretty easy to catch up and keep pace with the fleet and still enjoy spending time exploring the route, and taking part in weekend basecamp events.

Last edited:
unless you're extremely limited by the amount of game-time you can commit each week, a long-ranged ship may prove to be overkill on DW2 due to the pacing of the event. Something cheaper and mid-range will be more than enough for this expedition.

Just look at the kind of spread between jump ranges on the DW2 roster so far.

unknown.png

Extreme jumpacondas barely scrape 2%, while just under 1/3 of ships manage 55ly or more (Like my Cutter, which I'm leaving behind in the bubble in favour of my T9, can), the vast majority of ships coming along can manage somewhere in the range of 30-55ly, but plenty people are bringing ships with fewer. Remember, there's going to be fuel support, navigation services, and the like present for the ships which perhaps cannot make certain routes, etc.

Last edited:
Remember, there's going to be fuel support, navigation services, and the like present for the ships which perhaps cannot make certain routes, etc.
Actually makes it quite tempting to me to get stranded on purpose one time just to see a fuel rat rescue live :D

if anybody's in Colonia in Beta, can you tell me if the new mining toys are readily avaialable? I'm planning a trip in December to deliver the components for my mining build and if all the new toys are available (suitable for Python) I won't have to wait for 3.3 to drop before I set out. CCC3 starts on Saturday so I'd quite like to combine my trip with that.

if anybody's in Colonia in Beta, can you tell me if the new mining toys are readily avaialable? I'm planning a trip in December to deliver the components for my mining build and if all the new toys are available (suitable for Python) I won't have to wait for 3.3 to drop before I set out. CCC3 starts on Saturday so I'd quite like to combine my trip with that.

I went to Colonia in Beta & went Mining after buying all the kit there. The only item I couldn't find was the Pulse Wave Scanner, the rest were available.

I went to Colonia in Beta & went Mining after buying all the kit there. The only item I couldn't find was the Pulse Wave Scanner, the rest were available.

And that seems like a pretty important component. Hopefully it's tucked away at one of the stations there, somewhere.

Thanks

That's important information to me: anything I can't take out there in December, that can't be found locally, will have to be loaded onto the Phantom when we leave in the New Year.

Well, no one can't say I don't like a good community made event once in a while.

Time to sign in! I only hope I won't need to engineer my Krait too much!

Well, no one can't say I don't like a good community made event once in a while.

Time to sign in! I only hope I won't need to engineer my Krait too much!

Just doing FSD engineering is fine most of the times, as that gives you the biggest range boost combined with the Guardian fsd booster :) (if that is your concern)

I have heard you can buy those at Whirling Station.

No, Pepsy's Cheese is safely parked up at Jameson Memorial :). Gotta take the Phantom on this trip though - it's fantastically fun to fly!

Well, I've only flown the "normal" Krait Mk 2 so far which is a very nice ship... but I doubt I'll retire my trusty Peregrine anytime soon. :)

Just doing FSD engineering is fine most of the times, as that gives you the biggest range boost combined with the Guardian fsd booster :) (if that is your concern)

I have heard you can buy those at Whirling Station.

I seem to be having issues getting the guardian FSDBooster. every time i land on a planet with guardian structures the game crashes on me. I tried accessing Meene to get the missions for them but i can't see those either. dunno what else i'm missing, but i'd like to get set up in time for DW2

Well, I've only flown the "normal" Krait Mk 2 so far which is a very nice ship... but I doubt I'll retire my trusty Peregrine anytime soon. :)

I've just made a command decision. My Asp will now be reverting back to her orignal name of "Cranefly". Pepys's Cheese is a far more fitting name for a Krait: it's the right shape :D

I'm new to ED on PC and this will be my first ever expedition, on my brand new rig. I'm pretty stoked!

Welcome aboard, Commander o7

DW1 was my first expedition. In my opinion you couldn't ask for a better way of discovering what group exploration is all about :)

Top Bottom