Link:

3p8CpGU.png

tiKZC6S.png

JESWwXu.gif

Logo by Qohen Leth (original concept by Hi-Ban) with assets borrowed from Frontier Developments PLC
Animated by Placyde

k4iPFv7.png

The launch of the expedition is rapidly approaching and we're sure that everyone's excited to take off into the void and let the journey commence on the 13th of January. However, for those of you who are still eager to tweak your ships, unlock another engineer, or just test out your mining rig for the upcoming CG - then we welcome you to join us in the Preparation Week from the 31. December - 06. January.

This week long event is aimed at new and experienced players alike, who wish to go that extra step in engineering and getting the best possible out of their ship. We can't help you with everything of course, so we have selected a handful of engineers that we can help with, that are useful for exploration.

ERYQDeC.png

The event will be coordinated through the FleetComm discord - the official communications network for all Distant Worlds 2 related information throughout the expedition. If you haven't already joined, then now is a good time to do so!

The event will be hosted primarily within the FleetComm PG (and its console equivalents), however it is possible for some interactions to occur in open upon request. The exact locations in-game will be revealed closer to the event!

j5QSbEp.png
For the FleetComm PG you must also apply in-game, however due to a current in-game bug:
For the time being, send a friend request to CMDR Fleetcomm,
and they will respond with an invitation into the PG

Last edited:

skO2rvk.png

Why Hera Tani? She's not a must for exploration by any means, but for those wishing to go the extra mile for a grade 5 Power Plant that can trump the Guardian variant - this is the engineer you'll need.

Prerequisites (what you need to have done on your own): Have accessed Liz Ryder up to grade 3-4 and gained "Outsider" rank with the Imperial Navy (that's the very first rank, so very easy to achieve).

Where we can help to unlock: You will need to acquire 50t of Kamitra Cigars to unlock Hera Tani. This is usually quite time consuming as the max. allocation of Kamitra Cigars is normally 6t. With the help of numerous CMDRs from groups such as The Ceremonial Teabaggers and The Winged Hussars, we aim to create a boom state in Kamitra to increase that allocation to 45t. The additonal 5t can be topped up by one of our distributors so you only need to make this run once!

UPDATE: With the release of chapter 4, max. allocations of rares have changed so that the maximum one can buy at one time during certain states is a lot higher than it used to be. As a result it is now possible to collect 50t of Kamitra Cigars in one go from Hammel Terminal in the Kamitra system. You can therefore do this on your own and in your own time throughout the week - so we will not be distributing Kamitra Cigars!

A big shout-out to the Winged Hussars and all other commanders who have aided in creating the system state for this to be possible. :) (And to the Teabaggers for the contingency plan ;) )

Lv0aIOA.png

Why Selene Jean for exploration? The Grade 5 Heavy Duty + Deep Plating applied to stock Lightweight Alloy Bulkheads greatly increases integrity with no increase in mass. This helps survive an accidental collision or excessive heat damage. It is not a necessity, but you will need to unlock her to gain access to Didi Vatermann and Bill turner (see bellow).

Prerequisites (what you need to have done on your own): Have accessed Tod "The Blaster" McQuinn up to grade 3-4 to discover Selene Jean in-game.

Where we can help to unlock: To receive an invite for Selene Jean you need to refine 500 ores. But you needn't do it alone, and we can help you get up to speed with the new mining mechanics in the process so you are prepared to help out in the upcoming Distant Worlds 2 Community Goal.

The mining location will be chosen specifically so you get your supply of 10t Painite to then unlock Selene Jean in due time. Alternatively, we may also offer distribution of Painite upon request so you can get right to the engineering. We welcome any experienced miners to help out and share your knowledge!

hSlEuhZ.png
Thanks to CMDR Polish_Dan & the iMU, a guide has been created specifically on the new mining mechanics that you can view here.​

Qs0NKzj.png

Why Bill Turner for exploration? Aside from Lori Jameson, who requires a combat rank of Dangerous and at least one Elite rank to unlock, Bill Turner is the only engineer for Life Support. There are two reasons why this engineering is interesting for explorers:

1. Grade 3 Lightweight applied to a D-rated Life Support reduces mass and thus increases jump range.
2. Grade 3 Lightweight to an A-rated Life Support reduces mass slightly lower than that of a standard D-rated, while gaining you an extra 17m 30s of oxygen supply before needing to synthesise to resupply oxygen in the (extremely rare) case that your canopy breaks.

Prerequisites (what you need to have done on your own): Have accessed Selene Jean up to grade 3-4, be friendly with the Alliance, and have the Alioth Permit to discover and receive an invite for Bill Turner.

Where we can help: To unlock you will need 50t of Bromellite. Our dedicated Mining Department in co-operation with the iMU and numerous voluntary CMDRs will offer distribution of Bromellite upon request so you can get right to the engineering. Again, we welcome any experienced miners to help out and share your knowledge!

hSlEuhZ.png
Thanks to CMDR Polish_Dan & the iMU, a guide has been created specifically on the new mining mechanics that you can view here.​

eab6gkW.png

Why Shield Boosters for exploration? That is a very good question, that the DW2 Outfitting team investigated extensively over the last few weeks.

In short: the more MJ you have, the better your chances of surviving collisions with surfaces or other CMDRs.

In detail: Your ship's mass, shield class and any resistances are completely irrelevant during collisions. Only the MJ and speed are taken into account, as well as a ship-specific factor that defines how many MJ that ship requires to withstand the impact (which we have yet to determine). Also bear in mind that damage received through collisions with planetary surfaces can be quite random due to the surface/angle/internet lag/etc during impact, so it's best to be a little generous with the MJ you apply, within reason.

Engineered 0E Shield Boosters allow for a significant increase of MJ at very little mass. Example: grade 1 Heavy Duty + Super Capacitors allows for a 20.1% MJ increase at just 1t of additional mass; grade 5 can do 50.7% MJ increase at just 2t. The former is already nearly the equivalent to equipping a shield generator one class higher, therefore allowing you to prioritise larger optional internal slots for other modules, or simply to keep mass at a minimum without sacrificing safety.

Prerequisites (what you need to have done on your own): You will need a trade rank of Merchant or higher, and have accessed Selene Jean (grade 3-4) to receive an invitation for Didi Vatermann. You must do this on your own.

Unlock: 50t of Lavian Brandy are required to unlock Didi Vatermann. With the help of numerous CMDRs, we aim to create a boom state in Lave throughout the week so the brandy can flow! However, you must gather the brandy on your own (it's just one jump to Didi after all).

nb6EiU7.png

This is to quickly and efficiently gather data & manufactured materials. It works by winging up with some combat players who engage the NPCs in a conflict zone, while you remain neutral and fetch the materials and data from the resulting debris.

Please note that we cannot guarantee wings as this is entirely based on player availability during the respective times. We will do our best to coordinate this though, so be sure to fill out the form linked in the first post!

Last edited:

7UijyOl.png

More guides will be added as they become available or upon request.

etu1NPG.png

xXIQyKY.png

2oyukxk.png

aPXLu3J.png

While element type materials can be found almost anywhere throughout the galaxy, manufactured ones can only be found near inhabited space.
Here's a list of what you might want to stock up on before departing on the expedition (thanks to CMDR Jimmox):

Heat Sink Launchers:

Basic conductors (needed to synth all three grades)
Heat conduction wiring (again for all three grades)
Heat exchangers (for standard and premium)
Proto heat radiators (for premium only)

Chaff Launchers:
(ex.: for celebratory reasons)

Compact composites (all three grades)
Filament composites (all three grades)
Thermic alloys (standard and premium)
Proto radiolic alloys (premium)

Last edited:
I'm available to help Xbox Commanders with any of the above over Christmas. Find me on the FleetComm Discord or just DM me on Xbox (GT is jonburnage).

Another thing that might be worth modding is the thrusters, put a level one clean and stripped down experimental to help with the weight and heat

Example cobra mk3 build is based on the sort of build I do for Buckyball runs to Sagittarius A*
https://s.orbis.zone/1adr

Hey guys,

I'm not sure if this is the place, but I've been working on joining the Discord server, and it drops me into the request access channel, but when I hit the pinned message, it is stuck on the loading screen, so I can't seem to move on from there. I've quit and rejoined a few times (sorry to anyone seeing that log.) So any advice would be huge. Thanks! Can't wait to take part in this!

IMHO, Engineering mods in order of best improvement to jump range.
Priority #1 is Increased FSD Range from Felicity Farseer or Elvira Martuuk (obviously)
Priority #2 is Lightweight Sensors from Bill Turner or Lei Cheung or Lori Jameson
Priority #3 is Lightweight Life Support from Lori Jameson or grade 3 from Bill Turner if you don't have Lori Jameson unlocked.
These are the best bang for your buck in lightening and improving your jump range.
There are a lot of other things you can do to optimize your ship, but if you have these three you're already @~95% The rest are only minor improvements. (to jump range)

So Elvira and Bill Turner are the most important to unlock IMO.
Not saying there's no reason to do more, just saying (IMHO) these are the most important if you are looking to add jump range.

Gathering Materials for Engineering. Material Traders make things a lot easier.
[video=youtube_share;ElhiIj7PLPY]https://youtu.be/ElhiIj7PLPY[/video]

Last edited:
One other worthwhile venture would be the guardian module site for people who do not have their FSD booster yet.

That's very true! I will be adding a guide by CMDR Wishblend on how to unlock Guardian Modules shortly. :)

(I may also sneak in your advice on material gathering pinned in the FleetComm discord's outfitting-n-engineering channel. ;) )

Another thing that might be worth modding is the thrusters, put a level one clean and stripped down experimental to help with the weight and heat

Example cobra mk3 build is based on the sort of build I do for Buckyball runs to Sagittarius A*
https://s.orbis.zone/1adr

IMHO, Engineering mods in order of best improvement to jump range.
Priority #1 is Increased FSD Range from Felicity Farseer or Elvira Martuuk (obviously)
Priority #2 is Lightweight Sensors from Bill Turner or Lei Cheung or Lori Jameson
Priority #3 is Lightweight Life Support from Lori Jameson or grade 3 from Bill Turner if you don't have Lori Jameson unlocked.
These are the best bang for your buck in lightening and improving your jump range.
There are a lot of other things you can do to optimize your ship, but if you have these three you're already @~95% The rest are only minor improvements. (to jump range)

So Elvira and Bill Turner are the most important to unlock IMO.
Not saying there's no reason to do more, just saying (IMHO) these are the most important if you are looking to add jump range.

Gathering Materials for Engineering. Material Traders make things a lot easier.

Both of you are quite correct. There's plenty of other engineering to do, and Felicity Farseer + Elvira Martuuk will cover everything from Grade 5 FSD, Grade 3 Engines/Sensors/DSS/Shield Generators, and Grade 1 Power Plant/Shield Boosters. Which is practically all you need to build a very decent ship for an expedition.

We will link to the DW2 Outfitting guides shortly for those seeking in-depth knowledge on ships, modules, and engineering.

The thing to keep in mind regarding the event, is that unfortunately we cannot help anyone to unlock these. We may be adding a brief guide for complete beginners/those starting a new save for DW2 on how best to go about making some quick cash and how to quickly unlock Felicity + Elvira.

Last edited:
I've performed a few test flights with my new ship and was perfectly happy with it until I read the below:

"Why Selene Jean for exploration? The Grade 5 Heavy Duty + Deep Plating applied to stock Lightweight Alloy Bulkheads greatly increases integrity with no increase in mass. This helps survive an accidental collision or excessive heat damage. It is not a necessity, but you will need to unlock her to gain access to Didi Vatermann and Bill turner (see bellow)."

I genuinely didn't know that so I think I'll be paying her a visit tonight, after work.

Oh stone me, and I had totally forgotten about this. If I remember rightly I promised to go in an Eagle as well for maximum hilarity points.

Right, time to get Zara into shape and kitted out then.

Any idea what I should be using for Shield Boosters please?

Module: 0E Shieldbooster = E-rated (Shield Boosters deviate from the normal rule of D-rated being the lightest)

Engineering: Grade 1-5 Heavy Duty + Super Capacitors.

That's the best bet for pure exploration purposes (= against collision damage).

If you want to know what materials you'll need: https://inara.cz/galaxy-blueprint/8/

Last edited:
Top Bottom