ED and the Oculus Rift DK1 Discussion Thread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
There are those mice, the MMO ones, that have additional buttons on the sides and other custom, cut-down keyboards that would have plenty of keys but laid out in an easy to find manner.

These would work great with the OR.

I suspect an OR user may have some small advantage in combat situations related solely to tracking targets as moving your head around would feel so much more natural that holding a key down and swinging your mouse about. Unless your target moves directly behind, and in that case I expect the number of admissions to A&E will shoot up dramatically next year!

...I suspect an OR user may have some small advantage in combat situations related solely to tracking targets as moving your head around would feel so much more natural that holding a key down and swinging your mouse about. Unless your target moves directly behind, and in that case I expect the number of admissions to A&E will shoot up dramatically next year!

Umm, yes and no. It is easier to track objects and looking behind is not entirely uncomfortable (you may get tangled in the cables)

The downside being the resolution again, spotting targets in the first place is harder than on a good quality monitor.

I can't imagine why you would want to see the keyboard if you know where your key bindings are. Who seriously looks at the keyboard when playing a game using WASD controls?

The only part where you would need touch typing skills is when using text chat, but then there's always voice comms.

That is true, I don't really lose the WASD position when wearing the Rift. However typing is not really possible, not because of not seeing the keyboard, but mainly due to text prompts being too small to be readable.

Now we're gonna get rift support, all I need to know is can the game be fully controlled just from a 360 gamepad?

ill be happy if the game can be kept simple enough to have total functionality with a joypad.

Its going to be an extremely limited game if thats the case. I suppose you could select stuff through menus but even with basic controls you have accelerate, decelerate, the obvious directional controls, deploying and managing equipment, heat controls, maps, comms, chat..

It will be interesting to see how they approach the interface with this in mind. Perhaps you'll have some sort of in game hand to press buttons in the cockpit.

Its going to be an extremely limited game if thats the case. I suppose you could select stuff through menus but even with basic controls you have accelerate, decelerate, the obvious directional controls, deploying and managing equipment, heat controls, maps, comms, chat..

It will be interesting to see how they approach the interface with this in mind. Perhaps you'll have some sort of in game hand to press buttons in the cockpit.

Suppose it going to have to be simple. Using a keyboard with Rift is really practical for most.

The downside being the resolution again, spotting targets in the first place is harder than on a good quality monitor.
The HUD will do most of that for you because if you are able to see your targets by eye your sensors would have spotted them before this and painted targeting information already.

But you may be forgetting that the full HD consumer version may be out by the time E:D is released.

The HUD will do most of that for you because if you are able to see your targets by eye your sensors would have spotted them before this and painted targeting information already.

But you may be forgetting that the full HD consumer version may be out by the time E:D is released.

Very true. But I don't think I can afford to buy both, so I hope it works well at the current resolution. :S

I don't really follow the Oculus forums much myself but I would hope that when the consumer ready version is made available that those of us who bought the dev. kit would be given some discount, say 10%, which would be a nice gesture.

I'd love to use Oculus Rift, and I can touch type, so that may be an option. BUT, I am rather prone to motion sickness (even dungeon running in some RP games makes me feel pretty ill), so I think I'd have to weigh up the cost and maybe read a few reviews before I make any decisions.

Maybe with Rift, some features will not be available, as on the keyboard. For my part I will use the keyboard, the mouse and the XBOX 360 controller. Having such a helmet on his head, no thank you. If one day the size is reduced as a pair of glasses, then yes I will use the Rift.

Having such a helmet on his head, no thank you. If one day the size is reduced as a pair of glasses, then yes I will use the Rift.

Why would the size put you off? It's on your head, you cannot see it, or how silly you look! And it's pretty light already and I'm sure they'll make it even lighter. For comparison, my motorcycle helmet is like 10 times heavier or something and I can wear it all day (add in wind pressure/turbulence too) with no bother. People see to imagine it's like wearing an old CRT TV screen on your head or something... it's not. :smilie:

It really is quite light. You do notice it obviously but the more you use it, the less noticeable it becomes. My only negative would be that your breath often creeps up and fogs the lenses. Perhaps a better fitting nose bridge will be designed for the consumer version. Over than that it's a joy to use really and I haven't touched my Nvidia 3D glasses since.

Why would the size put you off? It's on your head, you cannot see it, or how silly you look! And it's pretty light already and I'm sure they'll make it even lighter. For comparison, my motorcycle helmet is like 10 times heavier or something and I can wear it all day (add in wind pressure/turbulence too) with no bother. People see to imagine it's like wearing an old CRT TV screen on your head or something... it's not. :smilie:

Personally I do not imagine having to wear a helmet on the head, in front of my computer. On a motorcycle is not the same thing. But at home, locked in a room in front of a computer, I do not see myself having it front of the eyes for hours ... And even if it is lightweight, it does not change my opinion. You will wear your motorcycle helmet at home in the living room on the sofa to watch TV?

:p

If the OR is all it promises I probably will wear it while sitting in a comfortable armchair - my gaming place may well change from desk to recliner :cool:

Personally I do not imagine having to wear a helmet on the head, in front of my computer. On a motorcycle is not the same thing. But at home, locked in a room in front of a computer, I do not see myself having it front of the eyes for hours ... And even if it is lightweight, it does not change my opinion. You will wear your motorcycle helmet at home in the living room on the sofa to watch TV?

:p

No, obviously not! :p I was just trying to work out why you didn't want to wear it when you mentioned its size (but you said that sunglass size would be okay) - and the two things I could think of was that you thought it would be too heavy, or that you wouldn't like the way it looked... neither of which are issues. :)

If the OR is all it promises I probably will wear it while sitting in a comfortable armchair - my gaming place may well change from desk to recliner :cool:

I have found myself sitting back in the chair more, but due to the head tracking you still have to arch your head forward uncomfortably. Perhaps I can screw with the calibration, so forward is up then I can just lie back. :rolleyes:

No, obviously not! :p I was just trying to work out why you didn't want to wear it when you mentioned its size (but you said that sunglass size would be okay) - and the two things I could think of was that you thought it would be too heavy, or that you wouldn't like the way it looked... neither of which are issues. :)

Indeed it has nothing to do with the aesthetic or weight. But rather a sensation of straitjacket. So for glasses like 3D glasses would be perfect in my opinion, and then I will adhere to the Rift. But all things considered, it would be, perhaps, interesting to wear a motorcycle helmet in front of the screen, because we can expect to receive blows in the Galaxy Elite Dangerous.

;)

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom