ED and the Oculus Rift DK1 Discussion Thread

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Still no integrated Camera's though. I would love to see an OR with an IR/UV viewing range! Hook that up to a wearable computer and get a whole new perspective on life.

Yeah, nice to see where the cigarette arm is wrt the ashtray :p Tried goggles before, and it just got messy.

Choice of OLED has been explained in recent article linked also here - it simply has enormous less latency when switching on/off pixels than regular LCDs. It has less effect on mobiles, but critical for OR.

Fact they have cut down latency, added OLED and tracking system means they're closing in to manifacturing phase. I guess they still aim for Q3 release as expected.

Can't wait for the release of this, although it seems fitting that I've been waiting for proper home VR for about as long as an ultimate version of Elite.

I would really like to know if FD obtained one of Oculus VR's $100 latency testers to perfect their Rift compatibility and get the latency as low as possible.

Would also suspect that their system is intended to be scalable using multiple cheap cameras for something like full room coverage - hello holodeck! :)

They're going for between £250.00 to £300.00 at the moment,
I'll be curious to see how much they go for once the Mk2 comes out.

Really? That's more than I paid! And I got an update email from Oculus saying that they were (finally) shipping new orders in 3 - 5 days. People are crazy! :p

The problem with this sort of technology is that it's difficult to show how good it is just with youtube clips. The best thing Oculus could do would be to pick some sort of event where a lot of gamers are going to be.. for example, some sort of meet-up of the backers of a Kickstarter game.. and send a few Coves down to that event so that people could get a heads-on experience. <innocent beam>

I wonder what they call cheap.
OLED is expensive.
Now it has camera head tracking it will be similar to the Sony VR headset coming this year. I expect they will launch at similar times.

Yea like OR tour buses or something..so people can try before they buy

The problem with this sort of technology is that it's difficult to show how good it is just with youtube clips. The best thing Oculus could do would be to pick some sort of event where a lot of gamers are going to be.. for example, some sort of meet-up of the backers of a Kickstarter game.. and send a few Coves down to that event so that people could get a heads-on experience. <innocent beam>

Yea like OR tour buses or something..so people can try before they buy

Yeah! I see where you're going with this. We keep lobbying Oculus until we get a busload of Crystal Coves moving around the country. We can start a thread to see if anyone out there is any good at handling busses at high speeds. And we can use that same thread for suggestions on the best way to pull off the switch.

Using the hive mind of the thousands of readers of this forum for this type of endeavour. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

That new groundbreaking Sony VR headset (HMZ-T3Q) at CES 2014:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/index.php?opt...ony-hmd-news-star-trek-fun&catid=35&Itemid=73

http://www.geek.com/games/sonys-new-oculus-rift-competitor-has-a-750-inch-virtual-screen-1581537

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sony-hmz-t3q-vr-headset,news-18138.html

Looks very, very similar to their 720p, £1300 HMZ-t3W. FOV 51.6 apparently.

Long story short: Probably fine for watching a movie, but Oculus don't have any competition at the moment.

Anyhoo, here's a different hands on with Crystal Cove. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMPFXYGoNHI
We're running out of things to solve, so we're getting very close.

Last edited:
With news of the developers HD version I suspect this will become the norm for a lot of people ...

QE9sJ3n.jpg

I guess it is not a big enough event for the new one but hopefully someone will be demoing the current dev rift at GEEK 2014 in Feb this year and I can get my 1st go on one

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom