ED:Odyssey Update 7 Performance Issue and proofs

Higher for mediums? Obviously you haven't been in a high intensity ground CZ where I can make 9 mil per battle :LOL:

Unfortunately performance has gotten worse for me with Update 7.

The new ground CZs - I know there's more going on there now - are a massive step back in terms of FPS.

I havent been playing for very long but before patch 7 my frame rate was fine. Since the patch I get massive stutters and can take up to a minute to exit a shuttle on a planet. Still playing at the moment but if this continues I may just bin the game as its just not enjoyable with these issues. How can you introduce a patch that makes things so much worse?

Do you teach in real life? You convey information very well.

Only myself.

Regarding this stuff, I'm only a dabbler/dilettante, and my interest in the software side of things has been limited to what's necessary to diagnose hardware issues. I have been trying to pay more attention to how I convey information, as it's a good test of my own understanding.

Frontier sure has a fascinating mess of a product here, which makes the learning experience more engaging.

This is defo a server side issue.

I don't believe this is the case. Frontier's servers do very little other than act as a shared database for the wider game state. All the processing and work of supporting a given instance is done client side.

That's not to say that networking cannot cause problems, but there is no reason for the game's servers to even be involved in NPC spawns or local asset loading.

Wow. Every time I think maybe it'd be worth checking out this train wreck on a discount or something, I find a thread like this. It's pretty sad to chart the plummet of Elite from the disasterous initial Engineers patch downhill to now, where every single release added some half baked, half finished, buggy feature. This is the result: Technical debt collectors are at the door and they aren't leaving until they are paid in full. When all you do is smash together half finished stuff for years eventually you end up with a gigantic, unholy mess.

Wow. Every time I think maybe it'd be worth checking out this train wreck on a discount or something, I find a thread like this. It's pretty sad to chart the plummet of Elite from the disasterous initial Engineers patch downhill to now, where every single release added some half baked, half finished, buggy feature. This is the result: Technical debt collectors are at the door and they aren't leaving until they are paid in full. When all you do is smash together half finished stuff for years eventually you end up with a gigantic, unholy mess.
Not true, the 'Beyond' updates where they padded out all the placeholder game stuff that had been in there for the previous 4 years was actually pretty reasonable.

Odyssey is a train wreck though. It didn't really add what I was expecting and instead added an attempt at FPS game play - but at about the 3rd of frame rate required for good FPS game play. It's like Unreal Tournament - if it only had one map, one enemy type(human) and a few basic weapons and ran at a fraction of the speed, seriously, who would want to pay money for that in 2021 ?

I just download each patch and see the performance in settlements is still unplayable, then give up until the next patch.

Have been playing around with the threading options in AppConfig.xml to see if there is anything user adjustable that can be done to mitigate the CPU limitations I've been encountering, if only slightly.

The only thing that seems to help (and only on SMT enabled CPUs) more than margin of error is setting the number of MinSpareCores to half the number of logical CPUs on the system, which essentially disables SMT for the game without having to manually force affinity elsewhere or disable SMT in firmware. I get a small performance improvement when doing this, probably from a combination of reduced cache thrashing and higher boost clocks. It's quite a modest improvement, and is likely counter productive with fewer than six physical and twelve logical cores.

I went on a simple mission to get an item in a settlement. Arriving the fps dropped to 9 and stayed around that until I managed to get out of the settlement. Using an i7 8700, RTX 3070 and with 32Gb of ram. Absurd.

Just spent 5-6 hours downloading the files to see if Star Citizen is worth getting (free to play 'til tomoro).

Once loaded I was gobsmacked to see that the maximum FPS I was getting was 21, though it continually bounced between 5-21 (altering the graphics settings did jack:poop:) ......not to mention stuttering & hot running of my laptop!

Uninstalled it all after 10 mins.............I'll stick with my 60fps I get with Odyssey & not bother with SC again :cool:

Just spent 5-6 hours downloading the files to see if Star Citizen is worth getting (free to play 'til tomoro).

Once loaded I was gobsmacked to see that the maximum FPS I was getting was 21, though it continually bounced between 5-21 (altering the graphics settings did jack:poop:) ......not to mention stuttering & hot running of my laptop!

Uninstalled it all after 10 mins.............I'll stick with my 60fps I get with Odyssey & not bother with SC again :cool:
It wasn't much different on my PC - although I did last around an hour before consigning it to the shredder :ROFLMAO:

Wish I'd not bothered.........................wasted 5-6 hours not playing Odyssey:(
I had a look during the last freeplay week - gave up when I quit the game having managed to find my ship (but did enjoy looking around the, mainly useless, shopping concourse, and riding the train...) get out of the docking bay and starting to fly. Then quit out as family arrived. Restart the game and I was in my bunk again... Uninstalled straight away!

Performance in 4k was pretty abysmal too - Odyssey was much more attractive after DC!

Irrelevant to the thread topic though.

Just to make sure, you're of the opinion that the placeholder stuff has been fleshed out?
(not the guy your asking but anyway)

Fleshed out compared to what it was? Yes.

Fleshed out compared to what I consider to be reasonable expectations from a games studio employing 100's of devs? Not even close.

I'm getting appalling performance in settlement conflict zones now. Averaging 30fps on high settings and stuttering down to 3fps every few seconds. Update 6 everything was fine 60fps with occasional dips down to 50. Unless they pull some wizardy or seriously downgrade something they aren't getting this to run on consoles.

I wouldn't say so, it shows that Frontier is not unique in releasing products that contain performance issues.
This thread is not about comparing Elite to other games - it's about comparing Elite Dangerous: Odyssey to Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

Star Citizen uses a completely different rendering engine to Elite, and hasn't even been released as a full product yet. Comparisons with it are meaningless.

This thread is not about comparing Elite to other games - it's about comparing Elite Dangerous: Odyssey to Elite Dangerous: Horizons.

Star Citizen uses a completely different rendering engine to Elite, and hasn't even been released as a full product yet. Comparisons with it are meaningless.
Oh right...

What is your frame rate like walking on an atmospheric body in Horizons?

Despite Frontier confirming the issues with Odyssey, comparisons are being made, in all seriousness, against Horizons? Fabulous...

OH I get it!

You want this thread to give the impression that EVERY player is having performance issues & disregarding poster's posts of decent performances as being 'off topic'.

I wouldn't know how Odyssey compares to Horizons on either of my laptops that Iv used......as Iv been quite happy enjoying Odyssey, that Iv not wanted to go back to Horizons, not even to update the gamefiles.

Why other's are having performance issue's? I have no idea. Though I count myself fortunate that I'm not one of them & yes I do get decent performances in Odyssey AND the game IS playable..........sorry if you want me to post a different answer, but I can't.

Top Bottom