Elite Dangerous 'New Launcher' live today!

So, now that I have some spare time while the reinstallation of Odyssey is going slowly forward, I would like to extent my warmest thanks to Frontier for this incredible new launcher and specifically it's installer.
After stating that it needed a few free bytes on drive D: (which is and has always been a DVD drive) and could find only zero of them, it rolled back not the (until then) successful installation of the new launcher. No, it removed the whole Odyssey installation. Without hint or question or request for confirmation. The launcher itself was working perfectly afterwards - only that it showed no installed content.
I am now waiting for the new installation, which is downloading at the tremendous speed of 11 MBps on a 100 MBps line. Enough time to blow off some Steam - no pun intended. And more than enough time to consider the joy of having to remember all preferences and key bindings, which worked oh so perfect for many years and have now - in all likelyhood - been moved to dev/null.
Please, Frontier - is it even worth it?

Edit: Now it's ready with the installation. But when I click "Play" it says something like "Execution of code cannot be continued because VCRUNTIME140_1.dll not found. Could be remedied by reinstallation."
That's funny, because it just reinstalled...
1690813780622.png

Last edited:
@G.C.
Try to download and install the x86 and x64 versions of the multi-installer Visual C++ 2015, 2017 and 2019 redistributables. Restart your PC after the installation.
Thx for the advice. I managed to reinstall the launcher correctly by disconnecting the DVD. Restarted the PC, but the error persists. Now reinstalling Odyssey completely after having deleted everything. Should be ready in no more than two hours - again...

Edit: Now it's working. Still I would like to hear from Frontier why an installer for the launcher is even able to deinstall Odyssey. I mean, it's not an Odyssey installer. The launcher installs and deinstalls Odyssey, not the installer for the launcher, right?

Last edited:
I'm having to log in with my Steam account every time I launch from Steam, it is just a button press without having to enter details every time, but is that normal?
Running into the same, but it's specifically if I launch from the desktop shortcut. I.e. if I open my Steam Library and launch Elite, it seems to get past this part automatically.

Thx for the advice. I managed to reinstall the launcher correctly by disconnecting the DVD. Restarted the PC, but the error persists. Now reinstalling Odyssey completely after having deleted everything. Should be ready in no more than two hours - again...

Edit: Now it's working. Still I would like to hear from Frontier why an installer for the launcher is even able to deinstall Odyssey. I mean, it's not an Odyssey installer. The launcher installs and deinstalls Odyssey, not the installer for the launcher, right?
It is hard to tell the difference between reality and deep humor. Maybe the two are coming to be the same in so many areas of life these days. Having to reinstall everything after deleting everything sounds both crazy and 'things found on the 2023 bingo card'.

I'm having to log in with my Steam account every time I launch from Steam, it is just a button press without having to enter details every time, but is that normal?

Unfortunately, yes. I reached out to support if there was any way around this and was told: "We appreciate you letting us know your feelings on this change. Whilst this is the new launcher working as intended, we are grateful for feedback on ways we can improve the design and accessibility of Elite Dangerous."

I am slightly boggled by this request as I can’t remember how many years ago I last looked at the official manual but I do remember that it was very out of date even then, but it was certainly well before Carriers were added.

The regularly featured request for the forum link to be more prominent also shows how differently I play as I don’t recall ever using it to open the forums which are on one of the default tabs when I open the browser.

I do agree though that having that link under settings in the way that it is seems an odd design choice.
It was in fact outdated, yet almost all information it had was still valid because many game mechanics and features did not change over the years.

It would be great to have a full up-to-date manual but even the old one may still have some nice hidden surprises.

It was in fact outdated, yet almost all information it had was still valid because many game mechanics and features did not change over the years.

It would be great to have a full up-to-date manual but even the old one may still have some nice hidden surprises.

One example of why that hugely outdated manual was of use is the fact that I don't think the basic default controls are listed anywhere in the "pilots handbook" - which of course is inside the game and so requires that you know what keys / buttons you need to actually get to it. ;)

FDEV seems to have become more and more sloppy in regards to Elite - I hate to think what their other titles are going to be like over time. (e.g. planet zoo is the most frustrating game to get to grips with that I have ever tried, gave up on it, money wasted.)

Unfortunately, yes. I reached out to support if there was any way around this and was told: "We appreciate you letting us know your feelings on this change. Whilst this is the new launcher working as intended, we are grateful for feedback on ways we can improve the design and accessibility of Elite Dangerous."
Aha.

It is hard to tell the difference between reality and deep humor. Maybe the two are coming to be the same in so many areas of life these days. Having to reinstall everything after deleting everything sounds both crazy and 'things found on the 2023 bingo card'.
Just to make sure, because I don't see the humor in your answer: You read my first post? Where I stated, that the installer of the launcher deleted Odyssey? That it didn't work even after a reinstall of Odyssey although the installer worked nicely? That I deleted again everything including the installer and did everything again in the right order with nothing throughing an error? Then it worked.
And, yes, you are right. It's hard to tell the difference between reality and deep humor on Frontiers part. Where an installer for a launcher deinstalls not the launcher but another application...

Sally,

Could you please ask (politely) if the Dev team could make the Standalone Frontier Launcher available on the download page?
Both my Frontier launchers show that an update is needed, but there isn't a method to do that....
Cheers

Top Bottom