ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I just wanted to say that Frontier really nailed the name. It's a thought I'd had more than once, it isn't as though they could call it Elite Feet, so how do you name a first person expansion? Elite:Walk-About? No, that's awful. When it zoomed through the S and you see the word Odyssey I was like "Oh that is such a good name". So congrats to someone at Frontier, you nailed it.

Hope you are right, but I wonder why they didn't just say that.
They did say that. They said they wanted to be able to offer uncompromised VR. It's 2 different movement models, walking around and mouse and keyboard. Sure NMS solved it and it's ok, but it's not great. Frontier wants greatness and if they can't do it right, they just won't do it.

They did say that. They said they wanted to be able to offer uncompromised VR. It's 2 different movement models, walking around and mouse and keyboard. Sure NMS solved it and it's ok, but it's not great. Frontier wants greatness and if they can't do it right, they just won't do it.

I lost that hope years ago. Remember September.

We both are not around since yesterday. ED has a remarkable track record of questionable decisions and disasters. Still, I love the game, because there is no other. When I started out 4+ years ago, I was impressed by all the meticulously crafted details and the precision applied. Unfortunately, that has changed over time. Quality definitely is not their strong (selling) point anymore, sorry. Most of the time we could be glad if it worked anyway. Of sorts. After three patches or so.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
No one said you had to use the first person perspective. You want to abandon the game, that's on you. You don't like the way they've implemented 1st person view, you can still play it in the standard way (less VR) But nothing says you have to upgrade. Sounds like an excuse to abandon the game. Why make excuses, just say, I'm done. No one will force you to stay. And if VR is your deal breaker, then your standards are way too high.I don't use it because I don't want to wear a box on my head. I tried it. Incredible view. But way to hot and tiring to boot so I just play the regular way.
The point is we play to enable things that might be months in front of us. As soon as O comes out the "old" horizons will more than likely have no more development, no more new content. It'll all go into the new game so to say VR players stayin the old game is like sayimg enjoy a long ligering death.

I've been living under a rock for a long time (not played E: D for about a year...), but just noticed the Odyssey announcement.
Yeah its included.
Please forgive my not going through the whole of this thread, but is it known whether the Lifetime Expansion Pass will include it?

I said in the first place, not 63 pages after the announcement.

You're right. There's not. You know why not? Because the limitations of the PS4 hardware won't allow an compromised VR experience. If they can't do it right, then they just won't do it.

I'm not sure I agree with this. Kudos for your optimism though. NMS might actually run better in VR on PS4 than pc (or at least it did around launch).

Elite isn't this technical monster, fdevs porting ability could be to blame here.

It is going to kill ED for him, and for me, and for us VR users in general. And for those who think that "it's only better track ir", well, it isn't. I laugh at egg-shaped planets on flat version, the depth cues aren't there, everything feels small and in 1:72 airplane model scale, the mailslot is a slit compared to what it looks in VR (it's really huge), planets are tiny and asp cockpit doesn't incur height scare... One needs to try VR to understand how utterly fundamentally different that gaming experience is. Not with just Elite, with pretty much any game. DCS World. War Thunder. Racing sims, military sims and fps games... I will never be able to be so "intimate" with a F/A-18C Hornet cockpit, let alone fly it, yet in VR it's a pretty believable experience. This is what is being taken away from us and we are extremely sad it is happening, because it's the literal death of the game - for us.
I've tried VR in ED. It's amazing. Or it would be if they could find a way to reduce the weight of the sets to mere ounces and find a way so it's not so warm while wearing a headset. For VR to really take off, we're going to need something that connects at a neural level like the interface in the Black Mirror episode "The Callister".. These headsets just aren't going to cut it.

I've tried VR in ED. It's amazing. Or it would be if they could find a way to reduce the weight of the sets to mere ounces and find a way so it's not so warm while wearing a headset. For VR to really take off, we're going to need something that connects at a neural level like the interface in the Black Mirror episode "The Callister".. These headsets just aren't going to cut it.
They have reduced the weight. When was the last time you tried one. You seem out of touch with the technology.

1_a2SA1dsqRDmAeRdTlR9lzg.jpeg

Is this you?

Last edited:
In fact, you can pin windows to your virtual environment in game. I've been known, during long exploration runs, to pin youtube somewhere in the cockpit.

That and you can always switch to desktop in VR, at the click of a button. Used it often for EDDB lookups and such. And back. Seamlessly.

My CV1 still came with Touch Controllers, an XBox wireless controller and a tiny remote control, all for 449 EUR. The remote control is all I use for ED.

O7,
🙃

Last edited:
Am not sure what NMS could do better wrt vr support. It's great imo and I would bite your arm off (figuratively) for that kind of support for odyssey

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom