ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I know that it may be too soon to ask this question but I really wanted to know.
does anyone have an estimate of how much the DLC can cost?
I would like to know to have an idea of how much I have to save money to be able to buy the DLC.
Thanks
Odds are the same amount (or perhaps a little more) than what Horizons cost. Definitely NOT the $30,000 USD macro purchase DLC transactions of SC 😂

Thats what ive been trying to say. But these negative nellies are too ready to grasp at any implausible eventualities just to have a reason to complain. If VR was stated as supported right off the rip, they'd complain about the frame rate, or keep going on about hating the fss or the dss.
Agreed. This is only the reveal trailer. It simply confirms whats coming. full features and specs im sure will be released in good time.

Having recently played the latest build of star citizen (Given thats a very different game) , the immersion there is absolutely unbelievable. The ability to actually walk around your ship, open the airlock etc all add to the immersion.
It also add to the boredom too, methinks. It gets old and digressive very quickly. The most mundane thing is a mandatory walk/interact/wait/walk session. In edge cases like being in a large city where you're not quite used to the layout you can take 15mn or more between the moment you wake up and the moment you're finally inside your ship ready to launch, it's utterly absurd.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the ability to walk from inside my ship to the outside or a station, but let's hope there'll be shorcuts. Be it teleportation. Let players wander, but don't force them for any actions that could be made in 2 clicks in a menu.

There's a term, "ellipsis", which applies to books,, movies, and videogames too. Imagine if there was no cuts in a Star Wars movies? "Darth Vader quits the Imperial Destroyer command bridge, follows 30mns of walking until he reaches his starship". Thriilling!

Indeed and to be honest I don’t care if it is not Star Citizen graphics as long as the game play opportunities are good. Much of Star Citizen is graphical fluff that adds zero to game play. I am sure it is great the first few times you take the train out to the starport to get your ship, but the 20th or 50th time?! Particularly if something happens early on and you have to do it all again just to get back to the ship. When you boil it down what you can do in SC is pretty much the same as what you can do in ED. Mining, cargo hauling, bounty hunting, piracy and interstellar Fedex deliveries if you have a small ship (equivalent to courier missions, I guess). No power play of BGS and any sort of narrative arc looks like it is going into the standalone Squadron 42. Wandering around snow covered forests on Microtech looks fantastic, but unless there is some interesting and engaging gameplay to do, you are going to tire of the view pretty quickly.
If the graphics in the update come close to those shown in the video that will do me. As long as I get to do the stuff I want. Explore the INRA bases on foot. Sneak into a ground installation in my new chameleon suit and hack the datalink. Do a proper covert data retrieval mission! Jump from a FDS with a squad of my friends and win the battle of Dav’s Hope! Proper fun stuff!
Agreed. SC is ok, and I just love space games, so im not even going to compare. the only thing I would say is that the immersion is really good. actually standing up out of your seat walking back through your conda to the hatch would be fantastic. instead of the select disembark, black screen, cut to outside.

giphy.gif

Agreed. SC is ok, and I just love space games, so im not even going to compare. the only thing I would say is that the immersion is really good. actually standing up out of your seat walking back through your conda to the hatch would be fantastic. instead of the select disembark, black screen, cut to outside.
SC’s immersion is patchy from what I have seen. Watched a vid of a guy doing box delivery missions. He bought a few items from a store, from the speechless, expressionless store keeper. Wandered through the starport, past all the zombies to collect the boxes. Walked back to the ship. Flew it to a planetary outpost type landing pad. Took the boxes to a building, dropped them off and flew back. Zero interaction with any NPC. Not even a zombie to be seen at the drop off point. Not even audio chat when requesting clearance to take off. Got his ship blown up trying to land. No warning, audio or visual, just boom and that was that! the graphics were fantastic, but as immersive gameplay it sucked!

I'm all for supporting this small minority of players across all platforms, but if it draws out the development process or restricts or drops new game play to support VR, then it's got to go for odyssey. It just doesn't make logical or business sense to drag out development and limit game play scope for a small group of players. Perhaps they'll keep VR support, but the game won't be optimized for it? Not sure, but ED is not a VR game, it's a game that supports VR.

SC’s immersion is patchy from what I have seen. Watched a vid of a guy doing box delivery missions. He bought a few items from a store, from the speechless, expressionless store keeper. Wandered through the starport, past all the zombies to collect the boxes. Walked back to the ship. Flew it to a planetary outpost type landing pad. Took the boxes to a building, dropped them off and flew back. Zero interaction with any NPC. Not even a zombie to be seen at the drop off point. Not even audio chat when requesting clearance to take off. Got his ship blown up trying to land. No warning, audio or visual, just boom and that was that! the graphics were fantastic, but as immersive gameplay it sucked!

Oh for sure , its not without issues, and I am not going to argue one over the other, as with ED we are still in the cockpit, and nefver see another NPC. To be honest, the immersion for me is the ship interior. thats where we will spend most of our gaming time. personally I dont care how good the graphics are on SC, they are ok, but the first time I saw the inside of the ED stations, my jaw dropped :)

What changes were made in December/January made the game more "Grindy"?

The void opal nerf?

well the void opal nerf made it a bit less fun but I have plenty of money and didn’t really like void opal mining for cash anyway because it required getting out of VR to find a station to sell them to using 3rd party tools so I mostly did that for fun. But as far as money making my favorite is still long distance cargo runs when the payouts were decent and the NPC interdictions worked like they were supposed to.

what really killed it for me was the new BGS system with multiple states per system and no ingame tools to find systems with the materials I needed. That’s a HUUUUUUGE hassle in VR. That may have happened before the Dec/Jan update but that’s when I got sick of it. The other thing that killed it for me (happened earlier but wasn’t the final straw) was the stupid new C&P system. Before that it was the thargoids. What started out as a challenging and well-balanced NPC fight became an OP grind fest with the bigger copy/paste goids that require grinding crafting materials for in-fight synthesis rather than properly balanced anti-goid ships and weapons. The T10 was a massive disappointment for me. Perfect VR cockpit for fighting goids and completely useless for anything outside a cyclops. The ridiculous rewards for fighting the most powerful NPCs in the game didn’t help either. You want 3-4 million an hour for fighting goids or 300 million an hour for playing space-bus driver?

so little by little FDev has made me lose interest until I just couldn’t be bothered anymore....and nothing thus far has pulled be back in to play.....even though the VR part is really great. I still hope something good will come but it looks like FD is looking to pull in the console Fortnight players....who dont care about VR.

I think the margins are much better on console games than PC games and console owners have much lower percentage of VR gear so......

The Replicated Man

T
well the void opal nerf made it a bit less fun but I have plenty of money and didn’t really like void opal mining for cash anyway because it required getting out of VR to find a station to sell them to using 3rd party tools so I mostly did that for fun. But as far as money making my favorite is still long distance cargo runs when the payouts were decent and the NPC interdictions worked like they were supposed to.

what really killed it for me was the new BGS system with multiple states per system and no ingame tools to find systems with the materials I needed. That’s a HUUUUUUGE hassle in VR. That may have happened before the Dec/Jan update but that’s when I got sick of it. The other thing that killed it for me (happened earlier but wasn’t the final straw) was the stupid new C&P system. Before that it was the thargoids. What started out as a challenging and well-balanced NPC fight became an OP grind fest with the bigger copy/paste goids that require grinding crafting materials for in-fight synthesis rather than properly balanced anti-goid ships and weapons. The T10 was a massive disappointment for me. Perfect VR cockpit for fighting goids and completely useless for anything outside a cyclops. The ridiculous rewards for fighting the most powerful NPCs in the game didn’t help either. You want 3-4 million an hour for fighting goids or 300 million an hour for playing space-bus driver?

so little by little FDev has made me lose interest until I just couldn’t be bothered anymore....and nothing thus far has pulled be back in to play.....even though the VR part is really great. I still hope something good will come but it looks like FD is looking to pull in the console Fortnight players....who dont care about VR.

I think the margins are much better on console games than PC games and console owners have much lower percentage of VR gear so......
Ah that sucks Turd. I feel for you. I don't use VR personally so this doesn't bother me that much but I can appreciate your struggle.

It isnt required for Horizons either. The steam list what it supports, and with Odyssey VR is no longer listed. So either FD made a mistake or, quite possibly, odyssey is not VR.
Is no pc hardware supported either? There's no minimum or recommended spec ...

Calm down. The page is a placeholder. Whether it does or does not support VR has nothing to do with what the page is today.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom