Elite Dangerous Odyssey: Update 8.01 Notes

Naw it's instances of Commanders being attacked for being in a Restricted Areas, but the area was not restricted.
There was one instance where I requested docking permission to a non-restricted area and was granted permission to land. I was then attacked by security for trying to land. Didnt lose the ship but my Beluga liner (big time threat to security... Wink) held its own long enough to FSD out of the area.

This one is actually really sad. Means that anything can happen.
I wish there was a way for them to show how fixing one thing effects or breaks other things. Like, have a stream with an old version, and see them change something, compile it (is that dated terminology?) and run it, and show how fixing some UI makes the hatch not open. Oh, they could do a time-lapsed video if it takes a long time to show it. I dont do programming or anything, but is that how things typically go? Seems to here.

Last night, I played a ground CZ and about 43 minutes into it (I restart after a CZ is complete, a few times, instead of flying back to station...) I started getting the freezing. It didnt last as long as it did in the last couple updates, and didnt happen again after that. That's so much better than it used to be. Keep it up!

I also did a delivery to an NPC. I walked up to the NPC and nothing happened, so I started checking my backpack, etc, to see if I was supposed to 'drop' it or something. I was about 2.5 feet away from the NPC. Then, I stepped closer...like under 2ft, maybe just a foot away, and then the 'interact' thing showed up. That's really close to get indication of what to do, I think. Especially knowing NPC seem a bit trigger happy in this game, and doing anything wrong gets you wasted. Anyways, it worked! The NPC's mouth didn't move with their words, so...a bit of tidying up needed. But great being able to interact with them.

I get the station not displaying issue. It takes over 10 seconds for it to appear for me. It was an Orbis station, so the section/body furthest away from the spaceport loaded first....then the trunk (not sure what the sections are called) then the wheel, then the docks/spaceport. Each about 1 or 2 seconds apart (that's after the initial 10 seconds of nothing showing). It was fantastic when the wheel popped into existence, for sure. I was in an APEX at the time.

I wish there was a way for them to show how fixing one thing effects or breaks other things. Like, have a stream with an old version, and see them change something, compile it (is that dated terminology?) and run it, and show how fixing some UI makes the hatch not open. Oh, they could do a time-lapsed video if it takes a long time to show it. I dont do programming or anything, but is that how things typically go? Seems to here.
The thing is, in general, the point of coding systems it to try and keep them as disconnected from each other as possible, to avoid such mishaps. Seems like some of that general ethos has gone awry somewhere along the lines a long time ago. Every coder I've talked to, and near every coding related tutorial/paper I've seen/read claims that if your system has a problem where you change one thing and it damages another part of it, then you need to restructure it so that it does that at least less.

I just wanted to jump to Merope with my carrier - all slots filled.
Then tried some systems nearby (i.e. Atlas) and eventually found one and the carrier has now initiated the jump to ... Merope??

I aborted the jump and tried again - the very same result: Merope has all slots filled, but selecting another system ends up with saying "planned destination Merope".

I wonder were I will materialize ... (9 mins and counting)

I just wanted to jump to Merope with my carrier - all slots filled.
Then tried some systems nearby (i.e. Atlas) and eventually found one and the carrier has now initiated the jump to ... Merope??

I aborted the jump and tried again - the very same result: Merope has all slots filled, but selecting another system ends up with saying "planned destination Merope".

I wonder were I will materialize ... (9 mins and counting)
If it puts you in Raxxla instead, let us know.

Greetings Commanders o7

Wow. A Friday. I guess we made it!

As part of this 'very real feeling Friday' we're releasing a client side point update* for Elite Dangerous: Odyssey this morning, to address a number of issues the team have been able to tackle, following the release of Update 8 this week.

Elite Dangerous: Odyssey servers will be offline from approximately 11:00 BST (10:00 UCT)
Servers are expected to come back online, with the update available at around 11:15 BST (10:15 UTC - maybe even sooner. Not long anyway).

These are client side fixes, so an update to the game is required.

Horizons only players will not be affected by this downtime.

* As a reminder, "point updates" are updates which target specific issues in the immediate timeframe following a release (in this instance, Update 8). They do not include new feature content.

8.01 Update Notes:
  • A fix has been implemented to address some severe camera shake persisting after a Thargoid Interceptor has scanned you (But who can deny, they can be pretty terrifying right?).
  • A fix has been implemented to address camera shake persisting after players are shot multiple times in combat/in close proximity of heavy gunfire (no seriously, pull yourself together...).
  • A fix has been implemented to address a crash that could occur during a Thargoid encounter.
  • A fix has been implemented to address Russian characters appearing corrupted in multiple locations, including:
    • Typing into the Galaxy Map Search Bar.
    • Galnet Local News Articles.
    • Typing into the on-foot comms panel.
  • Larceny Missions will now grant rewards correctly (🙏).
  • Takedown Missions will now once again grant goods, assets and data as mission rewards instead of ship engineering materials.
  • Improvements made to invite tracking for on foot engineer Eleanor Bresa, when disembarking at settlements in Colonia system.

I'm going to copy these next bits along from my other thread yesterday on the Thargoid combat bonds cap fix for Horizons, just in case anyone missed it, DO because they're still very valid:

As usual following any major update to Elite Dangerous, thank you so, so much for the feedback and reports here in the Forums.
A few issues captured I will mention from the magic notebook (primarily for Odyssey at this moment but thought you might be interested) are:
  • Investigations into Colonia Engineer progression issues.
  • Facilities list in System Map is appearing blank (all platforms).
  • Some odd behaviour with reactivation, massacre, restore missions not completing for Commanders.
  • Delayed loading of stations (pop!)
  • Strange behaviour around Unrestricted Access areas acting Restricted.
    • Instances of Commanders being attacked for being in a Restricted Areas, but the area was not restricted.
  • "Backward Engine Trails" (Elite...I love you but why?)
There are more individual experience reports coming in which aren't listed here, of course - this doesn't mean that all of those suddenly don't count. All very valid and valuable and being plucked away at amidst the rolling comments and feedback (thank you!). These are just a very select few to show a little nod to note taking.

Odyssey Performance:
We'd also like to thank you all for your latest feedback on performance in Odyssey following Update 8. You've all been reporting things so constructively (including videos along with your system specs without me even asking!) which is massively appreciated, all things considered. You're never expected to go to the lengths you are doing, but many of you do - so thank you o7

It's been great to see those of you reporting major improvements but of course we are still absolutely continuing to note and dig into the remaining instances of performance issues when flagged.

Alright then! Let's go for one final time (shouldn't have said that...) this week with a big o7

See you in the black, Commanders.
Excellent. What about VR (on-foot)?

When are you guys going to address ship skins not showing up in game as they should, either in Horizons and Odyssey? They are advertised to look a certain way in your store, but in game they look completely different. I've raised tickets about this, contacted FD directly and nothing happens. This is false advertising and you guys can't just offer something for sale and give me something completely different in game, especially when i've paid real money for it. Check out your Stygian paint schemes for the Cobra Mk IV. You even display the wrong images in store against the skin names, shouldn't be difficult to fix but for crying out loud, i reported these issues back when Oddity was launched, it's now almost November and they're still not fixed

When are you guys going to address ship skins not showing up in game as they should, either in Horizons and Odyssey? They are advertised to look a certain way in your store, but in game they look completely different. I've raised tickets about this, contacted FD directly and nothing happens. This is false advertising and you guys can't just offer something for sale and give me something completely different in game. Check out your Stygian paint schemes for the Cobra Mk IV. You even display the wrong images in store against the skin names, shouldn't be difficult to fix but for crying out loud, i reported these issues back when Oddity was launched, it's now almost November and they're still not fixed
Maaaaaaybe because fixing paintjobs is way down the priority list compared to, ya know, the whole game is riddled with bugs and low performance?
The paint job issue will be corrected, hell, the azure paintjobs (which I'm currently using) are already very good and reflective looking.
Give it some time, the game has more severe issues right now.

When are you guys going to address ship skins not showing up in game as they should, either in Horizons and Odyssey? They are advertised to look a certain way in your store, but in game they look completely different. I've raised tickets about this, contacted FD directly and nothing happens. This is false advertising and you guys can't just offer something for sale and give me something completely different in game, especially when i've paid real money for it. Check out your Stygian paint schemes for the Cobra Mk IV. You even display the wrong images in store against the skin names, shouldn't be difficult to fix but for crying out loud, i reported these issues back when Oddity was launched, it's now almost November and they're still not fixed
Sometime after they fix the far more important play-ability issues.

That said, they have been working their way through the skins, but considering there are a lot of ships and a lot of skins for each ship, it will take a while.

It used to look even better back at release, before some patch during horizons. Seemed like they changed the entire system for it, used to use a super sweet shader with proper refractions, now it just seems to be an alpha channel effect.

But maybe I'm thinking of the beta... Still pretty sure it got modified to be way less cool during horizons at some point though. (Beta is the only place I can find evidence of how much better it was - Isinona -
Source: https://youtu.be/KbaLJTGHkj8?t=94
)

Actually, you can see a bit of it here in v1.3 of ED
Source: https://youtu.be/EZfE4XGPQO8?t=422

As an asteroid goes past the refraction is still there.

Big shame.
Wow, that looks fantastic! Why would you get it looking as good as that and then slowly chip away at it until there's barely anything left of the effect? Sorry to say this but I'm tempted to blame it on the need to support consoles. Either that or subsequent generations of dev's showing a lack of care and attention to detail as code changes gradually break old stuff which never then gets reinstated. I feel so sad looking back on Isinona videos and then thinking about the direction the game has gone in since then.

Just been thrown out with a yellow adder error, during a jump. Never happened before patch 8. Also pop-up stations and backwards engine trails are a (NOT WELCOMED) novelty. Now i'm at the menu screen with a sidey in place of my corvette. If i try to relogin, it says it cannot gather commander data from the server. What can i say? Nice job? No.

Thought i'd mention this:
- i managed to complete 2 restore missions last evening and 2 more this morning. All 4 progressed and completed successfully.
I know that in 8.01 was mentioned that the issue is still under investigation, but well... post 8.0 i had to abandon 5 missions that recorded no progress and now there are 4 well done.

Maybe something was fixed...

Thought i'd mention this:
- i managed to complete 2 restore missions last evening and 2 more this morning. All 4 progressed and completed successfully.
I know that in 8.01 was mentioned that the issue is still under investigation, but well... post 8.0 i had to abandon 5 missions that recorded no progress and now there are 4 well done.

Maybe something was fixed...
I haven't tried any since 8.0, let alone 8.01, but it all depends on the behavior of the mission status box. If gets pushed off the top of the list of boxes (ie, so it moves down) shortly after disembarking, it will get killed after a timeout (box fade time, I guess), and when this happens, restore missions don't progress properly. Not only that, but just getting in and out of a vehicle (ship or srv) resets the mission state (but not the settlement).

So it's a combination of the mission box disappearing and disembarkation resetting the mission state.

If you notice the status box is missing before you put out any fires, you can take out the power regulator, board and disembark until the status box stays put, then power up the settlement. If you notice after putting out fires, you have to retrieve your PR, reset the settlement (super cruise trick), then return and start over.

I haven't tried any since 8.0, let alone 8.01, but it all depends on the behavior of the mission status box. If gets pushed off the top of the list of boxes (ie, so it moves down) shortly after disembarking, it will get killed after a timeout (box fade time, I guess), and when this happens, restore missions don't progress properly. Not only that, but just getting in and out of a vehicle (ship or srv) resets the mission state (but not the settlement).

So it's a combination of the mission box disappearing and disembarkation resetting the mission state.

If you notice the status box is missing before you put out any fires, you can take out the power regulator, board and disembark until the status box stays put, then power up the settlement. If you notice after putting out fires, you have to retrieve your PR, reset the settlement (super cruise trick), then return and start over.

i tried that in 8.0
nothing worked for me

but then i have not had it happen again since 8.01/ 8.02 🤷‍♂️

i tried that in 8.0
nothing worked for me

but then i have not had it happen again since 8.01/ 8.02 🤷‍♂️
It has been going on since update 6 or 7 (I don't remember now), but it seems to have become more prevalent in update 8 (since many more have reported it). I have no idea about 8.01 as I have gone out in the black again (for the first time in a few weeks).

Top Bottom