Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

The last few pages demonstrate precisely why fdev have historically avoided telling us much.

Give us a rough week window where they might get an update deployed, then delay it for a single insignificant week so another important issue can be included, and this is the crap they get.

This is why it would greatly help if a few of the devs would play the game at home as much as the community does. i know this sounds like taking work home with you and if it was me it would be the last thing I would want to do but according to some members in the CM team they DO apparently like to play it in their free time.. would be good if they had more people testing it from external sources as some of the bugs that we the playerbase see so readily and have for years like the cargo not ejecting etc. took years to even be acknowledged as a problem.
I'm pretty sure if those devs did play it from an external number of computers the same way we do they would have discovered that long ago.. or heck even read the forums or been engaged in the community, they would surely have known about it rather quickly. I don't blame them for not wanting to work on it past 5 o'clock though so I'd like to see them use some of that R&D mon that they are sloshing around to pay some external testers to do Q&A as if they were normal players. We have been providing them with just such Q&A for free for years but the reporting systems are unwieldy, borked and we do not as players have the professional rigour to log things in a way that is useful often (have you read how some of the issues get logged by players?)
Just how some of the things have gone under the radar though is almost impossible to work out unless they didn't go under the radar, were known issues but just didn't get the attention they deserved or were deemed not bad enough. If that was the case then my point made earlier still stands, they need more resources thrown at it. In fact they could possibly now have the correct numbere but we may not see the fruits of that decision for a long time yet as the neglect has created a backlog.
I suspect it's not neglect (why is it always the most emotive language btw, eg "neglect"? it's only a game. But anyway ...) I imagine it's complexity and natural staff turnover. The game was written in what, 2013? And I've no doubt was quite the technical achievement, the code will have been focussed and precise ... for the purpose intended in 2013.

And many of those people won't be involved now.

The longest I was at a single company as a programmer (not games) was 5 years or so, normally much less.

The emotive language comes from years of broken promises, frustration, exasperation and a jaded sense that they are never going to get it right, if you want a comment to be free from nuance, bias or emotion you better look for the cyborgs to reply rather than the humans that are trying to bottle their often simmering anger at being sold a product that is not working as intended and still not fixed 4 months down the line. Ones that have tried already to swallow their frustration and help out daily by chasing down bugs, filling out reports, trying to get people to vote on them, looking to bend the ear of CMs etc. only to see issues fall by the wayside and expire or be deemed not releveant to the mighty company who's job it is to fix them... or not.. either way they gonna report a good profit for the year eh Eh!!! exactly

The emotive language comes from years of broken promises, frustration, exasperation and a jaded sense that they are never going to get it right, if you want a comment to be free from nuance, bias or emotion you better look for the cyborgs to reply rather than the humans that are trying to bottle their often simmering anger at being sold a product that is not working as intended and still not fixed 4 months down the line. Ones that have tried already to swallow their frustration and help out daily by chasing down bugs, filling out reports, trying to get people to vote on them, looking to bend the ear of CMs etc. only to see issues fall by the wayside and expire or be deemed not releveant to the mighty company who's job it is to fix them... or not.. either way they gonna report a good profit for the year eh Eh!!! exactly

You know it's a game, right?

Why not leave emotive language for stuff that matters.

Because sometimes that's all that works and I genuinely care about the game, as do you.. that's why you're here! Either you're passionate about Elite or your not. I love this game.

I'm gonna let you in on a secret, I don't give a single toss about this game. If it were to shut down tomorrow I'd not bat an eyelid. I play the game sure but the level of interest I have in it is quite low.

Why am I here?

Well I have a mate on this forum who I've known for years from another game and we both hate social media so this is about the only place that allows us to communicate with each other. Yea I suppose we could email or whatever but think of this place like a zoo or public park where we can meet and laugh at the antics of other people.

I'm gonna let you in on a secret, I don't give a single toss about this game. If it were to shut down tomorrow I'd not bat an eyelid. I play the game sure but the level of interest I have in it is quite low.

Why am I here?

Well I have a mate on this forum who I've known for years from another game and we both hate social media so this is about the only place that allows us to communicate with each other. Yea I suppose we could email or whatever but think of this place like a zoo or public park where we can meet and laugh at the antics of other people.
Nice one! and good for you (not being sarcastic btw) it's often hard to tell over txt.

I think you might be in the minority though, most people I know that are here are here because of the love of the game.. or hate!

The truly important things in life!! :)

Yeah since this update went sideways I too have been getting out and into other things more.. I still come back here though because I want it to be good and I want it to work and I want it to succeed! Game is great when it works well but my goodness it's hard to understand what they didn't break with Odyssey! Some truly spectacular humdingers of decisions were made too! But not gonna rehash all that now.

Give us a rough week window where they might get an update deployed, then delay it for a single insignificant week so another important issue can be included, and this is the crap they get.
It wouldn't be that way if FDev hadn't spent the last 4-5 years constantly messing things up, lying, and treating their community like trash.

The last few pages demonstrate precisely why fdev have historically avoided telling us much.

Kind of agree, but i think that telling us nothing is still worse.

There would be angry people in any case, but with radio silence they (we) are a lot more

What crap? There isn't much. For every crap post there are 10 posts agreeing with Frontier's decision, 30 posts complaining about that crap post and 20 post going completely off topic.

But yeah, maybe Frontier should go full radio silence again. That has worked so brilliantly in the past.

Can we please for once stop shining the spot light on negative examples to try and invalidate everyone and everything?

I really would be worried if a team of 500 needed a week to fix one bug and halt all else to do so ... so you're right there!

Tbh I'm a little concerned that a team of 100 need to do so.
You are completely missing the entire point arent you? With your extreme experience and long time expert runtime in software development (or any work at all with more than 2 people in a team) do you really think that, in this case 100 people (who said 100 anyway?), work on the exact same issue? There is probably dozens of projects within the project within the project within Elite Dangerous.

Im a manager for a team of plumbers on a large construction site. I got 21 plumbers at work, I can tell you one thing, never more than 2 of those work on the same thing at any given point in time.

Top Bottom