Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

Because sometimes that's all that works and I genuinely care about the game, as do you.. that's why you're here! Either you're passionate about Elite or your not. I love this game.

I'm gonna let you in on a secret, I don't give a single toss about this game. If it were to shut down tomorrow I'd not bat an eyelid. I play the game sure but the level of interest I have in it is quite low.

Why am I here?

Well I have a mate on this forum who I've known for years from another game and we both hate social media so this is about the only place that allows us to communicate with each other. Yea I suppose we could email or whatever but think of this place like a zoo or public park where we can meet and laugh at the antics of other people.

I'm gonna let you in on a secret, I don't give a single toss about this game. If it were to shut down tomorrow I'd not bat an eyelid. I play the game sure but the level of interest I have in it is quite low.

Why am I here?

Well I have a mate on this forum who I've known for years from another game and we both hate social media so this is about the only place that allows us to communicate with each other. Yea I suppose we could email or whatever but think of this place like a zoo or public park where we can meet and laugh at the antics of other people.
Nice one! and good for you (not being sarcastic btw) it's often hard to tell over txt.

I think you might be in the minority though, most people I know that are here are here because of the love of the game.. or hate!

The truly important things in life!! :)

Yeah since this update went sideways I too have been getting out and into other things more.. I still come back here though because I want it to be good and I want it to work and I want it to succeed! Game is great when it works well but my goodness it's hard to understand what they didn't break with Odyssey! Some truly spectacular humdingers of decisions were made too! But not gonna rehash all that now.

Give us a rough week window where they might get an update deployed, then delay it for a single insignificant week so another important issue can be included, and this is the crap they get.
It wouldn't be that way if FDev hadn't spent the last 4-5 years constantly messing things up, lying, and treating their community like trash.

The last few pages demonstrate precisely why fdev have historically avoided telling us much.

Give us a rough week window where they might get an update deployed, then delay it for a single insignificant week so another important issue can be included, and this is the crap they get.
Kind of agree, but i think that telling us nothing is still worse.

There would be angry people in any case, but with radio silence they (we) are a lot more

The last few pages demonstrate precisely why fdev have historically avoided telling us much.

What crap? There isn't much. For every crap post there are 10 posts agreeing with Frontier's decision, 30 posts complaining about that crap post and 20 post going completely off topic.

But yeah, maybe Frontier should go full radio silence again. That has worked so brilliantly in the past.

Can we please for once stop shining the spot light on negative examples to try and invalidate everyone and everything?

I really would be worried if a team of 500 needed a week to fix one bug and halt all else to do so ... so you're right there!

Tbh I'm a little concerned that a team of 100 need to do so.
You are completely missing the entire point arent you? With your extreme experience and long time expert runtime in software development (or any work at all with more than 2 people in a team) do you really think that, in this case 100 people (who said 100 anyway?), work on the exact same issue? There is probably dozens of projects within the project within the project within Elite Dangerous.

Im a manager for a team of plumbers on a large construction site. I got 21 plumbers at work, I can tell you one thing, never more than 2 of those work on the same thing at any given point in time.

What crap? There isn't much. For every crap post there are 10 posts agreeing with Frontier's decision, 30 posts complaining about that crap post and 20 post going completely off topic.
Okay, but I didn't attempt to quantify the crap.
But yeah, maybe Frontier should go full radio silence again. That has worked so brilliantly in the past.
Did I suggest they should?
Can we please for once stop shining the spot light on negative examples to try and invalidate everyone and everything?
This sentence is so bizarre and irrelevant in the context of this discussion, it isn't even wrong.

It is curious that something positive (additional urgent bugfix) delaying something we only had a time window on (so may only be delayed by a working day or two, in truth) has received so much negativity from some.

Surely, every serious bug that is being addressed is a good thing? We have been told to not expect any significant performance gains until at least Update 8 so waiting a few days and getting a bug that affects CGs (for those who play in them - I rarely do, but appreciate the 'fix' being included) negatively fixed makes sense.

This is from my perspective from the new team of CMs:

I asked about Powerplay: no answer for one year
I asked again: no answer for about three months
I ask about one C+P issue in a PP bonus- that was nearly six weeks ago.

At no point has any question had an answer.

I've pinged the CMs in my replies about four times. I've waited (along with a lot of others) years (over six yo be exact) and its all one way. How else can people prod FD, when its all talk and nothing else? You be respectful but its just building up frustration because so called 'roadmaps' are just covering the near term.

But dear boy Powerplay is complex

Yes I know, but it does not stop talking about the direction you want to go in and work out issues at the conceptual level.

This is from my perspective from the new team of CMs:

I asked about Powerplay: no answer for one year
I asked again: no answer for about three months
I ask about one C+P issue in a PP bonus- that was nearly six weeks ago.

At no point has any question had an answer.

I've pinged the CMs in my replies about four times. I've waited (along with a lot of others) years (over six yo be exact) and its all one way. How else can people prod FD, when its all talk and nothing else? You be respectful but its just building up frustration because so called 'roadmaps' are just covering the near term.

But dear boy Powerplay is complex

Yes I know, but it does not stop talking about the direction you want to go in and work out issues at the conceptual level.
And people wonder where the frustration comes from. I believe there are a lot here who have been exremely patient. Others have just left the game entirely and said nothing. Our groups have been really badly hit through player numbers just giving up hope. It's not fun anymore for a lot but for even more they were hoping on what was coming in the future until they finally gave up hope and said "Enough". It'll only be actions that will bring them back if at all.

And people wonder where the frustration comes from. I believe there are a lot here who have been exremely patient. Others have just left the game entirely and said nothing. Our groups have been really badly hit through player numbers just giving up hope. It's not fun anymore for a lot but for even more they were hoping on what was coming in the future until they finally gave up hope and said "Enough". It'll only be actions that will bring them back if at all.
Its better communication for some but for the rest its pretty dismal. The CMs can only tell us what they are allowed to, but its this void which is the problem because it leaves the impression FD simply don't know themselves where its going.

Its better communication for some but for the rest its pretty dismal. The CMs can only tell us what they are allowed to, but its this void which is the problem because it leaves the impression FD simply don't know themselves where its going.
I'm really torn about this because at the outset of the Odyssey mess I advocated for Frontier to do a Hello Games and just head down and fix everything one by one.. fulfill your customer requests and they will come back to you..

However I'm also really pleased when they communicate what they are doing..Are they looking at Powerplay or have they already decided they aren't going to touch it until they have fixed X,Y and Z? Who knows really but time will be their judge. The constant fixes and player requests being fulfilled in that other games has heaped praise back on the shoulders of the once derided company.

I don't know what people would do with this information if I gave it, to be honest.
Most have no idea how complex and diverse "development" is. There are lone "indie" programmers who create games and they do everything alone (engine coding, game logic, modelling, graphics programming, animations, design, writing, testing, support etc.). Thus, they give the false image that a single "type" of worker is enough. But of course it's not that way when you scale up, and do things bigger. Then there is the problem of diminishing returns and information scale due to too many involved (that is why single and very small teams are efficient up to a point).

I get that Frontier took the fix it slow and steady approach with EDO and I, personally, approve that. Many have left for the time being, but some of us are still here. This one week delay does not paint a picture of we do everything we can to make things right. You said you'll delay a medium sized patch because of a single new bug. Why not just hotfix it? It seems like you are giving us half the reasons only or just being lazy. I think it is the former but it doesn't look nice after all the promises. Hence people are asking you questions you don't want to be raised.

Top Bottom