Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

I'm not a programmer and probably just a silly comment, but could it be that these checks are taken out to increase performance?

Your comment is not silly at all.

Well... simply put, they are mostly required because :

1) Removing/ignoring validations/checks/controls in the code is really a bad idea (running code without asserting that its requirements are fulfilled may cause crashes or instability)
2) Most check can even improve performance (bypass code that is not supposed to run in the current application context).

In any case, they should not decrease performance overall, while missing validations may cause the entire application to become instable, so...

Not saying that this is the case in ED but, well... It has been a long time since I saw that much crashes in a piece of software (except my own! 😝).

Last edited:
I must say, it is dissapointing that it is still not possible to play CZ on foot with acceptable shooter-fps (Edit: with a 1.300,00 EUR 3080RTX Card). I really had hope for this week, now this delay. Mh :/
It is possible for many - I get between 40 and 50 fps in surface combat zone - don't assume your experience applies to all. It is the fact that some people have fps issues and some don't is what is making these sort of issues so difficult to fix.
If the same performance issues applied to everyone they would be a lot easier to find and resolve.

Sally, have you thought about starting a new thread just called 'Odyssey Whining ats?' where folk can post the same old, tired whinging salty arguments time and again and leave the bulletin updates for others who know the state of play, know Fdev are doing their best to remedy it and who are still having a damn good time with EDO anyway.

Nice idea but where are the people angry at steam keys, no offline mode, macOS, cockpit interiors and lots of other issues meant to do their moaning?

True enough. There are posters on here who are fairly consistently negative about the game at the moment (I'd count you as one of them, not having a dig) BUT more or less everything they say is completely valid, accurate, and understandable. (Again, I'd think you're in that camp - no probs at all).

Its the people who incessantly post about the same topic over and over, often ones that have been addressed. Take framerates - everyone here KNOWS its an issue, nobody's argued its not. Frontier has ACKNOWLEDGED its an issue. They've updated us that the work on it is ONGOING but will likely extend past the next few updates. But STILL people will respond to every update from the community managers complaining about them. Similar thing about the planetary tiling - every time there was an update, there was yet another new thread highlighting how tiling is ruining the game. Ship interiors. We know, we get it, nobody DOESN'T want ship interiors (some would argue its not a priority, but I don't think there's a single ED player who wouldn't want the chance to walk around their ship at least once or twice). And of course there are the threads - often times from accounts started after Odyssey's launch - announcing that the game is dead, FDev are awful, Braben is evil incarnate, why are Frontier even trying to fix such a broken load of rubbish, etc.

I dunno. There are glass is half full people on here. Glass is half empty people on here. Neither of which I have issue wilth.

It's the "Ermagerd, I'm sick of this glass, you people need to understand how awful this glass is, the glass was created by awful people and could actually kill you... now that I mention it, I dunno why ANYONE likes glass - especially this glass. Everyone should drink from this completely different container that I personally like and if you don't agree with what I'm saying then you're a sheep or maybe an employee of the glass company" ones that do my head in. (And conversely, the "Nope, this glass is flawless crystal and we should all be honoured to drink from it" people - although they're far rarer these days!)
Yeah that's fair.

Although I find the individuals you refer to are limited in number, I appreciate they do exist. Whether I engage (or even agree) with them or not largely depends on the tone of the post and the arguments made, repetition of them isn't so much a problem for me, having said that for certain topics (like interiors and VR as examples, not that I have much skin in either myself) I realise Frontier have already made it pretty clear what the story is with those so no point in going on about them. Still, sometimes it's still fun to discuss the what-if but I wouldn't do it in this type of thread alright, as it's pointless - we already know the answer so just give it a rest.

On the other hand, I'm reasonably self-aware that I do bring up certain topics repeatedly, like lighting and EDH/EDO feeling so separate from each other, but also performance, reason I do that is because I don't believe these will be addressed anytime soon so I keep banging those drums out of mild frustration and impatience ... while I try to temper my posts because I want to remain civil and behave just like I would if we discussed this face-to-face (that's not to say I don't enjoy the occasional internet meltdown! As long as it's from the sidelines that is).

I used to be a lot more positive around here (since you observed that I'm not, and you'd be quite right unfortunately), until I took a botched over-priced DLC to the knee. In light of the last updates I find it difficult to get back to my old attitude, haven't bought a single Arx since release (I consider myself a bit of a whale in terms of money spent, far from proud of it mind), instead I've let them accumulate as I have very little desire to even spend the ones I have, and it does feel like the good times are sort of over. In a way I'm still a little surprised about how much and how quickly my mood soured, I guess much of it is due to the way the DLC was advertised and rolled out, and like most people I don't like being taken for a fool (but it happened in the end, biowaste happens).

The question for me at this point is whether it's better to move on entirely, I don't think I'm quite ready yet... 600 Euros spent, 4,000 hours and a remaining passion for Elite the Space Game (not necessarily Odyssey though as you can tell) and also this very community prevent me from it, but it's waning I have to say.

Last edited:
I try and be positive where I can and usually am the first to praise moves in the right direction but equally I think it's important that we are vocal about what needs fixing as that seems the only way to get stuff actually fixed, squeaky wheel and all that... really it's frontier that have created that dynamic and i'd rather just visit the issue tracker once fill out my report and then hear down the line that it's been acted on.. But that currently isn't working. We've all had countless issues expire on us so nowadays you have to corrall 10 other cmdrs, create a stink, talk it up and be in the right place at the right time.. It sucks, ain't nobody got time for that. Which is why most people give up even reporting or come to the conclusion that doing so is useless. I hope the process changes!!

Yep, I remember a far more positive @ObiW in previous years. And absolutely understand why there's a dearth of positivity these days. I mean, I would honestly say I could count on my fingers the people who are actually properly positive about the game. (as opposed to "making the best of it.)

The irony of me being slapped with the white knight tag myself is that I'm normally a fairly pessimistic eejit. I think I just look at the beating of dead horses as just being... pointless? It's like arguing with a referee after getting pulled for a foul, they're never going to say "Y'know what, now that you've shouted in my face for the last few minutes, I've decided you have a point!" (Despite the odd notion of some people claiming that if it wasn't for their persistent moaning and barrages of abuse that Frontier would never have released updates or acknowledged it was a problem!)

I am so sorry at how often I need to remind people that not everyone on a team/in a studio is capable of fixing any issue.
The other thing so many seem to forget that there are differences between us finding and reporting a bug, the teams confirming that bug exists as we claimed and being able to reproduce it, with the biggest difference being between knowing what is happening with the bug and knowing what has caused it and therefore what the fix will be.

A couple of years ago there was a long running lighting/texture bug that was easy to spot in the game for the players but didn't happen on the developers machines with the analytic software on board.

A couple of years ago there was a long running lighting/texture bug that was easy to spot in the game for the players but didn't happen on the developers machines with the analytic software on board.
The developer's nightmare bug. Broken for many/most/all customers, works for the developer.

But then why can't the rest go ahead as planned? Why does the Update have to wait for this patch? I'm not a developer or coder so how would I possibly know but it does seem unusual.
Possibly because almost everything in the game can influence everything else, and this way has been deemed by the senior developers and coders as being the best way to do it.

The other thing so many seem to forget that there are differences between us finding and reporting a bug, the teams confirming that bug exists as we claimed and being able to reproduce it, with the biggest difference being between knowing what is happening with the bug and knowing what has caused it and therefore what the fix will be.

This is why it would greatly help if a few of the devs would play the game at home as much as the community does. i know this sounds like taking work home with you and if it was me it would be the last thing I would want to do but according to some members in the CM team they DO apparently like to play it in their free time.. would be good if they had more people testing it from external sources as some of the bugs that we the playerbase see so readily and have for years like the cargo not ejecting etc. took years to even be acknowledged as a problem.
I'm pretty sure if those devs did play it from an external number of computers the same way we do they would have discovered that long ago.. or heck even read the forums or been engaged in the community, they would surely have known about it rather quickly. I don't blame them for not wanting to work on it past 5 o'clock though so I'd like to see them use some of that R&D mon that they are sloshing around to pay some external testers to do Q&A as if they were normal players. We have been providing them with just such Q&A for free for years but the reporting systems are unwieldy, borked and we do not as players have the professional rigour to log things in a way that is useful often (have you read how some of the issues get logged by players?)
Just how some of the things have gone under the radar though is almost impossible to work out unless they didn't go under the radar, were known issues but just didn't get the attention they deserved or were deemed not bad enough. If that was the case then my point made earlier still stands, they need more resources thrown at it. In fact they could possibly now have the correct numbers but we may not see the fruits of that decision for a long time yet as the neglect has created a backlog.

Last edited:
Top Bottom