Elite Dangerous Update 7 Progress

I try and be positive where I can and usually am the first to praise moves in the right direction but equally I think it's important that we are vocal about what needs fixing as that seems the only way to get stuff actually fixed, squeaky wheel and all that... really it's frontier that have created that dynamic and i'd rather just visit the issue tracker once fill out my report and then hear down the line that it's been acted on.. But that currently isn't working. We've all had countless issues expire on us so nowadays you have to corrall 10 other cmdrs, create a stink, talk it up and be in the right place at the right time.. It sucks, ain't nobody got time for that. Which is why most people give up even reporting or come to the conclusion that doing so is useless. I hope the process changes!!

Yep, I remember a far more positive @ObiW in previous years. And absolutely understand why there's a dearth of positivity these days. I mean, I would honestly say I could count on my fingers the people who are actually properly positive about the game. (as opposed to "making the best of it.)

The irony of me being slapped with the white knight tag myself is that I'm normally a fairly pessimistic eejit. I think I just look at the beating of dead horses as just being... pointless? It's like arguing with a referee after getting pulled for a foul, they're never going to say "Y'know what, now that you've shouted in my face for the last few minutes, I've decided you have a point!" (Despite the odd notion of some people claiming that if it wasn't for their persistent moaning and barrages of abuse that Frontier would never have released updates or acknowledged it was a problem!)

I am so sorry at how often I need to remind people that not everyone on a team/in a studio is capable of fixing any issue.
The other thing so many seem to forget that there are differences between us finding and reporting a bug, the teams confirming that bug exists as we claimed and being able to reproduce it, with the biggest difference being between knowing what is happening with the bug and knowing what has caused it and therefore what the fix will be.

A couple of years ago there was a long running lighting/texture bug that was easy to spot in the game for the players but didn't happen on the developers machines with the analytic software on board.

A couple of years ago there was a long running lighting/texture bug that was easy to spot in the game for the players but didn't happen on the developers machines with the analytic software on board.
The developer's nightmare bug. Broken for many/most/all customers, works for the developer.

But then why can't the rest go ahead as planned? Why does the Update have to wait for this patch? I'm not a developer or coder so how would I possibly know but it does seem unusual.
Possibly because almost everything in the game can influence everything else, and this way has been deemed by the senior developers and coders as being the best way to do it.

The other thing so many seem to forget that there are differences between us finding and reporting a bug, the teams confirming that bug exists as we claimed and being able to reproduce it, with the biggest difference being between knowing what is happening with the bug and knowing what has caused it and therefore what the fix will be.

This is why it would greatly help if a few of the devs would play the game at home as much as the community does. i know this sounds like taking work home with you and if it was me it would be the last thing I would want to do but according to some members in the CM team they DO apparently like to play it in their free time.. would be good if they had more people testing it from external sources as some of the bugs that we the playerbase see so readily and have for years like the cargo not ejecting etc. took years to even be acknowledged as a problem.
I'm pretty sure if those devs did play it from an external number of computers the same way we do they would have discovered that long ago.. or heck even read the forums or been engaged in the community, they would surely have known about it rather quickly. I don't blame them for not wanting to work on it past 5 o'clock though so I'd like to see them use some of that R&D mon that they are sloshing around to pay some external testers to do Q&A as if they were normal players. We have been providing them with just such Q&A for free for years but the reporting systems are unwieldy, borked and we do not as players have the professional rigour to log things in a way that is useful often (have you read how some of the issues get logged by players?)
Just how some of the things have gone under the radar though is almost impossible to work out unless they didn't go under the radar, were known issues but just didn't get the attention they deserved or were deemed not bad enough. If that was the case then my point made earlier still stands, they need more resources thrown at it. In fact they could possibly now have the correct numbers but we may not see the fruits of that decision for a long time yet as the neglect has created a backlog.

Last edited:
The last few pages demonstrate precisely why fdev have historically avoided telling us much.

Give us a rough week window where they might get an update deployed, then delay it for a single insignificant week so another important issue can be included, and this is the crap they get.

This is why it would greatly help if a few of the devs would play the game at home as much as the community does. i know this sounds like taking work home with you and if it was me it would be the last thing I would want to do but according to some members in the CM team they DO apparently like to play it in their free time.. would be good if they had more people testing it from external sources as some of the bugs that we the playerbase see so readily and have for years like the cargo not ejecting etc. took years to even be acknowledged as a problem.
I'm pretty sure if those devs did play it from an external number of computers the same way we do they would have discovered that long ago.. or heck even read the forums or been engaged in the community, they would surely have known about it rather quickly. I don't blame them for not wanting to work on it past 5 o'clock though so I'd like to see them use some of that R&D mon that they are sloshing around to pay some external testers to do Q&A as if they were normal players. We have been providing them with just such Q&A for free for years but the reporting systems are unwieldy, borked and we do not as players have the professional rigour to log things in a way that is useful often (have you read how some of the issues get logged by players?)
Just how some of the things have gone under the radar though is almost impossible to work out unless they didn't go under the radar, were known issues but just didn't get the attention they deserved or were deemed not bad enough. If that was the case then my point made earlier still stands, they need more resources thrown at it. In fact they could possibly now have the correct numbere but we may not see the fruits of that decision for a long time yet as the neglect has created a backlog.
I suspect it's not neglect (why is it always the most emotive language btw, eg "neglect"? it's only a game. But anyway ...) I imagine it's complexity and natural staff turnover. The game was written in what, 2013? And I've no doubt was quite the technical achievement, the code will have been focussed and precise ... for the purpose intended in 2013.

And many of those people won't be involved now.

The longest I was at a single company as a programmer (not games) was 5 years or so, normally much less.

The emotive language comes from years of broken promises, frustration, exasperation and a jaded sense that they are never going to get it right, if you want a comment to be free from nuance, bias or emotion you better look for the cyborgs to reply rather than the humans that are trying to bottle their often simmering anger at being sold a product that is not working as intended and still not fixed 4 months down the line. Ones that have tried already to swallow their frustration and help out daily by chasing down bugs, filling out reports, trying to get people to vote on them, looking to bend the ear of CMs etc. only to see issues fall by the wayside and expire or be deemed not releveant to the mighty company who's job it is to fix them... or not.. either way they gonna report a good profit for the year eh Eh!!! exactly

The emotive language comes from years of broken promises, frustration, exasperation and a jaded sense that they are never going to get it right, if you want a comment to be free from nuance, bias or emotion you better look for the cyborgs to reply rather than the humans that are trying to bottle their often simmering anger at being sold a product that is not working as intended and still not fixed 4 months down the line. Ones that have tried already to swallow their frustration and help out daily by chasing down bugs, filling out reports, trying to get people to vote on them, looking to bend the ear of CMs etc. only to see issues fall by the wayside and expire or be deemed not releveant to the mighty company who's job it is to fix them... or not.. either way they gonna report a good profit for the year eh Eh!!! exactly

You know it's a game, right?

Why not leave emotive language for stuff that matters.

Top Bottom