ELW´s and Water Worlds now and what perhaps rather should be at athmospheric landing-expansion

Seems odd that border line between breathable air for humans seems to be between Water Worlds (without terraforming ofc) and Earth-likes, would there really be no water or even icy/athmospheric (barren with water) rocky planets out there that have breathable air?

Though I have found at least one barren rocky planet with perhaps suitable air for humans, guess we will see when I can land there...

Also I have noticed (about?) all ELW´s I have discovered out there exploring have very fractured continents, unlike Earth, and very much water compared to land area.
On comparison to Earth, perhaps there is explanation for this? Are most Earth-likes without volcanism perhaps, and I have just not made that link between all those fractured worlds I have found (I remember many if almost all of them had no volcanism)?
And has not volcanism played important part for life on Earth, so wouldn´t it suggest planets with life are more likely to have volcanism than not? Or have I explored areas with just very old planets from where volcanism has died out already?

And then again, wouldn´t there be even few Water Planets out there that have mountains that form islands, even perhaps with life?
They are in description said to be "terrestial" water worlds

Cheers and keep up working on atmospheric landings hard, they will make certainly Elite #1 game for at least one demographics, (VR and) exploration minded, as there is no huge universe VR game planned even at the moment (SC will not have VR or huge area to explore compared to potential in Elite).
o7

ELW means that planet have berathable air. For humans. (IRL ELW is all planets except gas-giants)
But planet classification still... not the best. We haven't ice-ELW / water-ELW or ice water planet or something.
Hope fdev'll improve this.
Make exploration great again

Forgot, do all ELW´s have breathable air for humans, or do those planets just fall under category of (Terrestial/terraformable) Water Worlds?

Essentially an ELW is a world where you can step out of your ship and walk around and not die immediately...and continue to survive without the express support of technology, but there's a wide range of conditions, pressure, gravity, temperature, so you may feel uncomfortable but you won't die.

There are some WW that are survivable by human's without extra protection (except for boats maybe) but because of the the lack of land they aren't ELW they are WW. You will note a difference in description, you will see terraformable WW and terrestrial WW's because they are already capable of supporting human life apart from land.

The problem with putting landable ELW's in is there is so much more than just the planet and the water, I certainly wouldn't be happy to see a barren ELW, it would need forests (trees, bushes, grass etc) life (insects, animals, birds etc and water life). Then you have weather effects, clouds, rain, snow, wind, tornadoes and cyclones maybe, and proper rivers and lakes, running water etc. So just making ELW with thicker atmosphere landable isn't going to cut it, it would need a lot of work apart from the landscape and water. I think it's much more likely we will get ice planets with thick atmospheres first to test the weather effects, maybe some none ELW HMC etc to test water and other effects. It will be a lot of testing and trialing and work to build ELW's to the satisfaction of us picky players that's for sure! I suspect FDEV is well aware of that.

Edit, just to correct that, it seems Terraformable Water Worlds are also called Terrestrial Water Worlds, oh well wrong again!

Last edited:
There are ELWs that look like Earth with a more or less equal distribution of large broad continents and water oceans but most I've seen have archipelago-like continents with seas in between. This one I discovered has large continents and huge sandy beaches that span a few of its coastlines, kind of a rarity among ELWs Phylucs UP-I b37-3 A 1

Varonica is right, there must be water worlds with atmospheric compositions and pressures that can support Humans without suits, its just that they are not designated as such by the game.

Last edited:
Top Bottom