Emergency FSD Jump, and a potential to fix combat logging

I would be lying if my feature request didn't come from other sci-fi games/movies/books/tvshows.

So the Frameshift Drive works like a warp engine from star trek, it allows us to create a Alcubierre bubble around the ship and relatively reach FTL speeds. This is Emergency Jump, it quickly activates the FSD but only for a moment/instant and you are dropped to normal space.

It would be very easy to balance this. Make sure ship that activated the emergency jump take huge amounts of heat damage as well as additional damage to FSD, and when you dropped to normal space a instant later (possibly thousands of KM away from jump point) ship goes into super long FSD cooldown.

The main reason why anyone want to do this is to highwake quicker, the emergency jump charge is much quicker.

in a nutshell;

Emergency FSD Jump; A quick panic button to save your ship from immediate dangers (combat, stuck inside jetcone[normal space], stuck on high gravity planet).
PROS;
Very quick boot time.
Can save a ship from very dangerous places.
CONS;
Massive heat damage.
Massive damage to FSD.
Very long reboot time for FSD after jump
Location of drop can be scanned by FSD wake scanners.

now the reason why I said a potential to fix combat logging(this is optional, something Devs have to decide)
When ever a CMDR does the unspeakable!, this exact thing should happen, their ship activates Emergency FSD Jump. If they die during the jump so be it. If they are followed by a well equipped enemy, so be it.

for Devs:
If devs ever decide to add this to game, my own special request :D, This new feature should be included with the following lore in the galnet(at least along these lines);

"a in-depended pilot, CMDR KaanTech, invented highly dangerous way to rig an FSD to active itself for a couple of Planck moments. Many of the known ship manufacturers advised high caution with KaanTech's method of rigging FSD to make a jump but some expert says this could be a new potential way to save ships from certain destruction. In an interview CMDR KaanTech had this to say; "I know how dangerous this is, first time I tried this, my Diamondback Explorer almost became my own grave,I didn't know whether I was going to burn alive first or get shattered to countless particles, if not both. But I believe sometimes you have to risk everything so you don't lose everything".

Edit: There is a major damage cost to this. You get both HEAT DAMAGE AND PURE DAMAGE TO FSD. Cumulative damage could completely broke your FSD, which may actually maroon you. I want to repeat this, This feature should be extremely costly and dangerous.

Edit 2: Other people's suggestions; a chance to kill your ship completely like a Russian roulette (loved it), fuel cost (totally make sense), material cost(you need to have it before hand)

Also I want to make it clear, sorry I didn't made it simple: your FSD activates it's SUPERCRUISE for a split second, you are still in the same system, hell close by to your original jump point, but too far away to reached by normal space travel with engines. Depending on the math, you could be a few hundred thousand KMs or about a million KMs. if your enemy has wake scanner, they should be able to reach you before you repair your ship or the long FSD Cooldown finishes.

Edit 3: Guys, this isn't like FSD boost from jetcones which has 1-2 % damage to your FSD. We are talking about 30%,40% damages to your FSD PLUS a massive (200%, 300% heat) heat damage. This action is all about pilot knowing his/her ship's limits. A rookie pilot should be easily kill themselves with this. and if your ship explodes before even making the jump, your attacker still gets your cargo. Depending on your ship's condition in general (module and hull condition, engineer mods, ship's modules, ship itself) you should be able to do this 2 or at max 3 times before exploding out right, BUT most ships should be either SEVERELY damaged or destroyed out right.

if your engineering includes decreased power plant integrity, you should be much more likely to be destroyed, or maroon-ed if your FSD has decreased integrity.

Last edited:
Let's add RNG to it, so let the ship explode in every 2-3 tries or with 1/6th probability and call it space Russian roulette ...

Last edited:
I would be lying if my feature request didn't come from other sci-fi games/movies/books/tvshows.

So the Frameshift Drive works like a warp engine from star trek, it allows us to create a Alcubierre bubble around the ship and relatively reach FTL speeds. This is Emergency Jump, it quickly activates the FSD but only for a moment/instant and you are dropped to normal space.

It would be very easy to balance this. Make sure ship that activated the emergency jump take huge amounts of heat damage as well as additional damage to FSD, and when you dropped to normal space a instant later (possibly thousands of KM away from jump point) ship goes into super long FSD cooldown.

The main reason why anyone want to do this is to highwake quicker, the emergency jump charge is much quicker.

in a nutshell;

Emergency FSD Jump; A quick panic button to save your ship from immediate dangers (combat, stuck inside jetcone[normal space], stuck on high gravity planet).
PROS;
Very quick boot time.
Can save a ship from very dangerous places.
CONS;
Massive heat damage.
Massive damage to FSD.
Very long reboot time for FSD after jump
Location of drop can be scanned by FSD wake scanners.

now the reason why I said a potential to fix combat logging(this is optional, something Devs have to decide)
When ever a CMDR does the unspeakable!, this exact thing should happen, their ship activates Emergency FSD Jump. If they die during the jump so be it. If they are followed by a well equipped enemy, so be it.

for Devs:
If devs ever decide to add this to game, my own special request :D, This new feature should be included with the following lore in the galnet(at least along these lines);

"a in-depended pilot, CMDR KaanTech, invented highly dangerous way to rig an FSD to active itself for a couple of Planck moments. Many of the known ship manufacturers advised high caution with KaanTech's method of rigging FSD to make a jump but some expert says this could be a new potential way to save ships from certain destruction. In an interview CMDR KaanTech had this to say; "I know how dangerous this is, first time I tried this, my Diamondback Explorer almost became my own grave,I didn't know whether I was going to burn alive first or get shattered to countless particles, if not both. But I believe sometimes you have to risk everything so you don't lose everything".

What happens when you simply lose your connection?

What happens when you simply lose your connection?

yeah I thought about that.

2 things, if you are in normal space and in danger this should activate, if you are not in danger, inside a station or supercruise/witchspace this should not be activated.

This is a really nice idea, it feels like something the game should already have.

Since it's not quite clear in the OP: Is the idea to jump to a random location in the current system or to jump to a random nearby system?

And a further suggestion: In addition to the heat and FSD damage, it should consume your FSD's max amount of fuel per jump. Make it even harder to chain-jump and lose a dedicated pursuer, since you'll have to dock or scoop pretty quickly after using the emergency jump.

I like this idea...repped.

What I would like is if they can give an option for whether you want to automatically activate this FSD jump when in danger. If you choose to turn this off and your client "crashes" while in danger, your ship just stays online for 15 seconds doing nothing.

If the game detects that you are no longer in the client and you have the emergency jump turned on it will automatically activate - otherwise your ship stays there doing nothing for 15 seconds.

I think this would be a pretty fair way to handle the clogging issue...any well-equipped ship should be able to survive for at least 15 seconds vs an NPC, while making clogging a huge risk vs real players (but not making it impossible).

This is a really nice idea, it feels like something the game should already have.

Since it's not quite clear in the OP: Is the idea to jump to a random location in the current system or to jump to a random nearby system?

And a further suggestion: In addition to the heat and FSD damage, it should consume your FSD's max amount of fuel per jump. Make it even harder to chain-jump and lose a dedicated pursuer, since you'll have to dock or scoop pretty quickly after using the emergency jump.

basiclly your FSD activates it's supercruise for a split second, you are in the same system, hell you are still close by but simply too far away to reach in normal supercruise. few million or hundred thousands of KM away.

Fuel cost. +1

Hmmm, whilst its a nice idea I feel it perhaps gives too much benefit to the defender. Not balanced at all in my view and completely overpowered one way.

To counter your "downsides":
FSD can always be fixed with reboot/repair and Fuel Rats are too damn efficient which means the stranding point is a minor inconvenience at worst. Properly engineered ships can jump 10Ly+ with zero fuel anyway so it's no biggy.

The heat damage is the only thing that's potentially an issue but packing a simple heat sink and problem solved instant get out of jail free card which means piracy is impossible. It'll also end any PvP encounters that don't have someone stacking the FSD missiles to keep you in place.

To offer two counterpoint:
The biggest issue is the random jump and then drop out and FSD recharge means the attacker has no way of following you, even a wake scanner gets him to a location but can't pursue when you can just low wake and there is a 5 billion Km cubed space you could have low waked into.

Whats stopping me instantly using this every time I get interdicted before the attacker as much as lays a shot on my shields? I'd be in another system dropped out before they could say "Yaarrr!" and simply have to wait a minute or two for the FSD to recharge whilst I queue up another netflix season.

Context:
I hardly ever do PvP, dabbled in it years ago, got most of my profits doing exploration and bounty hunting. I am almost always on the defenders side and have previously posted threads like this but this for me is way off balanced.

Last edited:
I

I'm sorry but it's already in the Lore, in some of the books. I'm not going to spoil, but it is there, and more or less like you propose; fast, unreliable and with 110% chances of fun-destruction

The CLogging section doesn't take accidental disconnects (or game crashes etc) sufficiently into account, I don't believe this would be popular with the wider community.

The insta-jump with no mass-inhibiting factor & reduced countdown just seems like another way to avoid the consequences of whatever problem you wanted to escape from. I'm not sure this would be any more 'in the spirit of the game' than CLogging.

The game currently allows you two ways to escape a hopeless situation. The 'ship in danger' logout and the high wake. Both take the same amount of time (15secs). Something that allows the player to escape in less time would become the default choice, undermining the dilemma of whether to stay or run.

In principle I'm not against the idea of an untargeted jump to a random system within fuel range, but in-system you would need to travel there either in normal space or supercruise, no 'magic' jumps please.

Last edited:
I dont like the idea as described. I feel like it's a bit cheap. That's not to say that I dont think there should be emergency procedures in the game. After all, you can emergency drop from supercruise already.
But in star trek they always eject their core. I think that if you e-jump, it burns out your fsd core and leaves you adrift. You can synthesize a new one or wait for someone to come by and jumpstart you. If you are close enough to a planet you can land and find the materials.

To all the people talking about imposing this on combat loggers, the main issue I have with it is things like what happened to me earlier today, when I was in the middle of a CZ merrily kicking and suddenly got dumped to the menu with a message about being unable to connect to the server.

Sure everyone hates combat logs but let's not go randomly inflicting massive system damage or loss of ship on people who have poor ISPs.

Last edited:
To all the people talking about imposing this on combat loggers, the main issue I have with it is things like what happened to me earlier today, when I was in the middle of a CZ merrily kicking and suddenly got dumped to the menu with a message about being unable to connect to the server.

Sure everyone hates combat logs but let's not go randomly inflicting massive system damage or loss of ship on people who have poor ISPs.

There is an existing suggestion thread for Combat Logging Punishments, here's a summary post of mine:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/359238-Combat-Logging-Punishment-Proposal?p=5662061&viewfull=1#post5662061

Sorting the accidental from the deliberate isn't practical if any kind of punishment is applied as this suggestion does, just putting them back into the mode they left (with a few caveats described in the post I linked to) is enough.

To high wake from danger you need to have set a destination, which can be difficult in a panic. If an attempt to high wake without a destination set were made it could drop you back at the main star of the system you are already in (ie jump to the nearest system puts you back at the start of your current system), with the standard 15sec countdown for a high wake, heat damage optional.

This would give a helpful emergency exit without leaving the game for those that didn't set a destination, it would also give a handy way to return to the main star from a distant point in the system, which while arguably exploitable isn't really much different from jumping to the nearest system & back again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom